I am using a Mesa boogie DC 3 amp, which is tube and I was getting some pretty nasty feedback today, I tried eliminating some pedals which helped and it was still there so I turned my volume down on my guitar and that helped a little, but there as still a buzz. it might be my guitar, which I am taking into the shop tomorrow, but what would be some causes? Would my effects pedals be causing it? Or the volumes on the amp (Master was at 10 output was ~2 or 3, gain was 8-10 too)?
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
play farther away from the amp, if your sitting on top or next to your amp your more likely to get feedback, or maybe thats just me.
Guitars:
1991 Fender American Stratocaster
2008 Dean Ml '79

Amps:
Egnater Tweaker
Fender G-DEC 15

Pedals:
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop 535Q Chrome Series Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Ibanez TS-808
ISP Decimater, best there is.. you may want to back the gain down to about 5 - 6, and put an over drive in front
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
usually mesa put in the manuals to avoid extreme settings (i.e. putting anything on 10) because it induces microphonics and feedback.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by touji-za-nai
ISP Decimater, best there is.. you may want to back the gain down to about 5 - 6, and put an over drive in front

I was playign on the gain channel, and I have the channel switcher, so would a over drive help boost my gain? Or an EQ, it is on my amp already. What would you recommend?
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Don't turn anything to 10, try turning the gain down a bit. Check the grounding on your guitar, pedals, amp and outlet. Try it with just the amp and your guitar, try different cables. Are you using single coils? Is your guitar shielded? How far away from your amp are you?

Don't go and buy a noise gate/suppressor until you eliminate other options first.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by swordsrkewl
I was playign on the gain channel, and I have the channel switcher, so would a over drive help boost my gain? Or an EQ, it is on my amp already. What would you recommend?

the OD would boost the gain in a way the amp can't, it makes it tighter and punchier so you don't need to drive the amp to 10, and still sounds better. The EQ would be good, because most ODs tend to take some of the bass end away, which the EQ will help get back. I hate a TS9, it's great
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by thsrayas
Don't turn anything to 10, try turning the gain down a bit. Check the grounding on your guitar, pedals, amp and outlet. Try it with just the amp and your guitar, try different cables. Are you using single coils? Is your guitar shielded? How far away from your amp are you?

Don't go and buy a noise gate/suppressor until you eliminate other options first.

How would you test any of those? Single coils on my guitar or amp? Grounded how? What does shielded mean? And I was about 6+ feet away from my amp.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor

Quote by superslash1994
Quote by swordsrkewl
How would you test any of those? Single coils on my guitar or amp? Grounded how? What does shielded mean? And I was about 6+ feet away from my amp.

Does your guitar have single coils or humbuckers? If you don't know what shielded means, then it probably isn't. Try standing farther away from your amp, it could just be feedback. Just plug your guitar straight into your amp and check with different cables to see if it still does it. And make sure nothing is turned to 10, that's disaster for noise and bad tone.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
ISP Decimator
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by thsrayas
Does your guitar have single coils or humbuckers? If you don't know what shielded means, then it probably isn't. Try standing farther away from your amp, it could just be feedback. Just plug your guitar straight into your amp and check with different cables to see if it still does it. And make sure nothing is turned to 10, that's disaster for noise and bad tone.

The tone knob is a push-pull to switch the outside coils off giving it single coil sound. Does single coil increase feedback?
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor

Quote by superslash1994
Quote by swordsrkewl
The tone knob is a push-pull to switch the outside coils off giving it single coil sound. Does single coil increase feedback?

Yep. Single coils are prone to having hum, which is why humbuckers (hehe, get it?) were made. They are two coils that are wound in different directions which helps to get rid of the hum.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Yep. Single coils are prone to having hum, which is why humbuckers (hehe, get it?) were made. They are two coils that are wound in different directions which helps to get rid of the hum.

Thanks for that fact and the advice, Noise suppressor pedal, here I come!
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor

Quote by superslash1994
i find the DC-3 is pretty low gain. i leave it on 10 because it doesnt sound right if its not. and i still have to use an OD to get the right gain i want.... it's freaking noisy but that's what an OD does. give gain and sustain and a ****load of noise. you have to buy a noise suppressor. if you play by yourself i wouldnt bother. i play alone, so i dont care much about noise. it's not like im recording or anything.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah Pedal's generally create a ton of hiss without a true bypass modded on them.

Boss Pedals are happy so long as they have power. I bought a Nady Wireless Guitar System and it did wonders for reducing hiss from even the wah pedal!.

Once you unplug your wah pedal from the effects chain you'll see right away how you just gained your tone and a quiet amp back!
This is what I did, it took awhile but it worked:

- Stand 4+ meters away from amp, put the normal volume on 4, put the drive volume on 3, untagle the patch cord, put the bass on 2.5, the treble on 4 and the middle on 4, turn both tone controls on the guitar to 6, turn sideways/ backwards to the amp and turn the gain to 3. I know it's a long process, but it worked very well for me.