How do bands make that huge "wall of verb" effect? Listen to 'You Were a Ghost' by Legacy Fails for an example
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
How do bands make that huge "wall of verb" effect? Listen to 'You Were a Ghost' by Legacy Fails for an example

There are many different ways to get to most roads, sometimes there are only a few.

On recordings, bands get that via REAL 9' plate reverbs, High$$$ digital & analog processors, software plugins, or combinations of all of the above.

I mainly use a Lexicon PCM80 rack processor, or Eventide H8000FW rack processor for reverb sounds, pedals don't really do it for me, or I'll use an amps spring reverb as well.
Quote by zachman5150
There are many different ways to get to most roads, sometimes there are only a few.

On recordings, bands get that via REAL 9' plate reverbs, High$$$ digital & analog processors, software plugins, or combinations of all of the above.

I mainly use a Lexicon PCM80 rack processor, or Eventide H8000FW rack processor for reverb sounds, pedals don't really do it for me, or I'll use an amps spring reverb as well.

He's right. The only way is with a rack system... COMBINED with good reverb comming from your amp.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by thementor
He's right. The only way is with a rack system... COMBINED with good reverb comming from your amp.

Depending on the type and quality of reverb of a given amp, and/or the quality of the rack processor and it's signal routing, an amp's reverb is NOT REALLY required, unless you're going for that surf music thing, and don't have an Eventide H8000 processor.

The GREAT thing about rack rigs done right, is they allow the freedom to achieve the sounds you want, in real time.

The down sides are:

They're- (The KILLER ones'), Expensive, and can get REALLY REALLY expensive
They're usually large
They require a working knowledge of how everything works, and the ability to plan soundscapes, unless you're on tour w/ a KILLER road tech that you trust.
So I wouldn't be able to achive this tone with a Holy Grail Reverb + light distortion?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
??? is UG really that unfamiliar with the Holy Grail? or reverb in general?

Edit: I'm moving this to the electric guitar forum
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
As far as I know Dick Dale cranks the tube reverb on his Fender combos so a Twin Reverb would be your best bet.
A wall of reverb? I'd just crank up your amps reverb knob. All it does is just take more input from the reverb tank. If you want more you can simply buy a bigger reverb tank.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by touji-za-nai
So I wouldn't be able to achive this tone with a Holy Grail Reverb + light distortion?

Obviously, IF you use that pedal you can get the result that pedal will bring, but that wasn't my idea of a wall of reverb.

My idea was more like This
Well in that video he's using an eventide. You can probably use a gmajor to get that much reverb. But if you want the analog, be prepared to spend some money.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Well in that video he's using an eventide. You can probably use a gmajor to get that much reverb. But if you want the analog, be prepared to spend some money.

Yes, it was an Eventide H8000FW in the video. The G-major does NOT do what the Eventide H8000FW does.

You said, "But if you want the analog, be prepared to spend some money." What do you mean?
First of all, what is your gear? You'll want to get a reverb that can get very wet and very long decays - place it BEFORE your distortion.

I would highly recommend the Line 6 Verbzilla (cave setting).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
My pod xt live gives me a helluva lot of reverb, and a bunch of different choices. Line 6 has nice reverb models.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by xwearesinking
First of all, what is your gear? You'll want to get a reverb that can get very wet and very long decays - place it BEFORE your distortion.

I would highly recommend the Line 6 Verbzilla (cave setting).

It's all in my sig, but w/e lol

RG3 EMG 85/81s guitar -> TS9 -> 6506 -> loop BBE Sonic Stomp -> ISP Decimater -> 1960A Marshall 4x12

Yeah, I looked into the Verbzilla too, it was either that or the holy grail
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
It's all in my sig, but w/e lol

RG3 EMG 85/81s guitar -> TS9 -> 6506 -> loop BBE Sonic Stomp -> ISP Decimater -> 1960A Marshall 4x12

Yeah, I looked into the Verbzilla too, it was either that or the holy grail

Between the verbzilla or holy grail, the holy grail looses the competition, where I am the judge. I found that the holy grail, along w/ several other EHX products, is too easily clipped at it's inputs.
O_o is that an amp? or a HUGE pedal....

either way I'm not paying $600.. I'd rather buy a verbzilla and deal with what I get
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
O_o is that an amp? or a HUGE pedal....

either way I'm not paying $600.. I'd rather buy a verbzilla and deal with what I get

Not an amp... it's just an external spring reverb tank, and I concur w/ the verbzilla just on the versatility of sounds you get. IF you REALLY want a GREAT spring reverb tone, a spring reverb is the way to go, BUT... I prefer a digital Hall or Plate reverb MOST of the time.
Quote by nightraven
i really don't think getting a huge reverb tank is going to have better results than the verbzilla, imo spring reverb isn't the best choice anyway for a wall of noise since that's far too bright sounding.
the verbzilla would be a great choice, you could also look into the alesis reverb rack mount gear, which is quite inexpensive and get great tones.

Agree, Spring reverb tank isn't my choice for the "wall of reverb sound".

I don't particularly dig spring reverb tanks when playing live because if you have a heavy footed drummer, and/or a less than solid stage, the spring reverb tank tends to make too much unwanted noise.

For my reverbs I prefer my Lexicon PCM80 and Eventide H8000FW.