Yo, whazzap, looking for advice/suggestions on pick-ups. I play a wide variety of stuff from betwenn the buried and me/protest the hero to satch and jazz. I am currently useing an ibanez js 100, through a boss me-50 effects board, into an marshall mg-30. I am think about upgrading my amp to a mesa boogie. Anyway any suggestions about which kind of pick-ups or amp i shoud get would be greatly appreciated
Upgrade your amp first, then think about pickups.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Upgrade your amp first, then think about pickups.

He has a point.

But if you want new pickups I'd suggest Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups for your style of music.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

A diMarzio Evolution or one of the Satch/Vai Signature pickups wouldn't be a bad call. A D-Activator might be pretty good too. You definitely want a pickup that has the headroom to clean up if you play jazz. Keep that in mind
Get a tube combo amp. Peavey VK is a great budget amp
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Yes. Definitely new amp before new pickups.

The majority of your tone comes from your amp - changing your pickups when you are using a cheap practice amp is not going to affect your tone much.
Quote by thementor
He has a point.

But if you want new pickups I'd suggest Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups for your style of music.

I'm sorry, I really am and I'm not trying to be rude, but that's terrible advice. If you're going to give advice you should recommend a specific product (and only ones you have actually tried), not a brand. You wouldn't recommend a Marshall because that could mean anything from a DSL, to a JCM, to an MG.

That goes the same for SD and Dimarzio because they both make good and bad products, they make different products for different sounds and types of guitars so one pickup might be awesome for him while another will be terrible.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.