What is the best way to record your guitar to your pc?

Most cables i find are all $50+

Is a standard mic better then line in?
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
You'll need a special cable/adapter because the line in signal isn't strong enough from a guitar.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Yep, but I wouldn't recommend a Behringer product, they tend to break pretty easily. Line 6 Toneports are highly recommended and you get some free effects software with them.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I would highly recommend getting something from the Line 6 U series... I have the UX2, but they make a UX1 and one other one... (They just revamped the units, so they are even better!)
The quality is quite nice, Gearbox (the included tone software) can produce a variety of tones, some very digital sounding, but some of them are VERY nice sounding. There is like 32 amp models included as well, my favorite ones are from the Brit series...

As long as you are going to get some type of interface, get something from Line 6
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX2-with-PF?sku=250004
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX1-with-PF?sku=250003
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pod-Studio-GX-with-Pod-Farm?sku=250006

Enjoy!
Alright, im kinda starting to think about recording some stuff....

And my little pc mic isn't cutting it.

thanks!
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
just get a 1/4 to 1/8 converter, $5 at radioshack, i did it
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
Quote by plunkett

How is the quality?
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
It's limited by the quality of your sound card and obviously your amp. A well-shielded cable is good for noise reduction, too. A 1/4" jack to 1/8" plug allows you to plug the output from your amp's line out directly into the sound card line in via a 1/4" instrument cable.
Quote by plunkett

So can I then use a guitar cable to connect the line out from my amp to the line in/mic on my laptop to record?
using something like the X3 from Line 6 if you want quality cabinet sound without the hassle of miking an amp.

it has usb 2.0 connectivity and will basically set itself up as a soundcard (input only) for recording. very easy to use.
Line 6 Toneport GX?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by thsrayas
Yep, but I wouldn't recommend a Behringer product, they tend to break pretty easily. Line 6 Toneports are highly recommended and you get some free effects software with them.

Yes. Stay away from those Behringer USB interfaces, they're shit.
I'd recommend a mic (SM57 probably) and a USB or firewire interface like an M-Audio Fast track.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by BaconFrenzy117
expensive stuff is expensive.

Sure is! Does your amp have a line-out? If so, a guitar cable to your PC line-in (with a 1/8" adaptor) is as good a solution as you'll find at a sensible price. That will get the sound into your PC. From there you can do a load more post-processing to get the sound you're looking for.

The ideal solution is to mic up your amp, but anyone that says a cheap mic will suffice is tone deaf. I'm thinking you've already found this out, though. Short of a soundroom and a $1K microphone, go amp line-out to PC line-in.