Page 1 of 3
How many watt solid state would i need to be heard clearly enough over a drummer?

And also if anyone knows how many watts tube it would take?

All i want is to be heard over the drummer.
don't worry about tone or anything.

how many watts to be heard over the drummer ss?

thanks, =]
I would say at least 50 SS.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by al112987
15-30 should do it. Tube or solid state.

this sounds about right

ive gotten over a drummer with my fender frontman 15watt, it sounded like crap though

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

What? 30 watts of any solid state amp will not be able to be heard well over a good (dynamic) drummer with a good kit. I'd say more like 50, but you're gonna have to crank it.

30 watts of most tube amps will do it.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
don't worry about tone or anything.

I question the wisdom of this mentality.

But I'd say 30 or more.
You don't want to max your amp to do it. It will sound like crap. Give yourself a comfort level. 40 watts minimum
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by al112987
15-30 should do it. Tube or solid state.

15-30 will cut it for tube, but not solid state. Tube amps appear to be louder than SS so the lower wattage will cover it. However a solid state will need more watts to appear to get the same volume, and SS amps tend to sound worse the more you turn them up so he will want to have headroom.

Go with at least 50 to be safe.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
depends on speakers but other wise a good 40 watt will do
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
kk well whats more expensive? a tube amp that can be heard over a drummer? or a solid state that can be heard over the dryummer?
50 watts is frikin loud, you only need like 30 watts i use a 25 watt amp for gigging bars and clubs and ive never turnd the thing up past half way!
It all depends on the drummer - if the drummer is heavy handed then you are going to need a louder amp, however if he/she is light handed then you wont need as much volume.
Quote by thsrayas
15-30 will cut it for tube, but not solid state. Tube amps appear to be louder than SS so the lower wattage will cover it. However a solid state will need more watts to appear to get the same volume, and SS amps tend to sound worse the more you turn them up so he will want to have headroom.

Not really. I've played with a 15 watt Fender frontman before and had no problem getting over the drummer, though he wasn't really a particularly loud drummer. I've had absolutely zero problem whatsoever getting over a loud drummer with my AVT50 set to around 5.

I also have a 30 watt tube amp that appears to be very loud at low volumes, at 2 or 3, it is already the same volume as my AVT50 set to about 4-5, but by the time the dial hits 5 or so on the volume, it never gets any louder, only more distorted.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Not really. I've played with a 15 watt Fender frontman before and had no problem getting over the drummer, though he wasn't really a particularly loud drummer. I've had absolutely zero problem whatsoever getting over a loud drummer with my AVT50 set to around 5

There ya go.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
50- 60 solid state. The general rule is 1 tube watt = 3 SS watts, So you're looking around 15-20 watts tube. Minimum for each.
Ok is the guy above me just making random rubbish up?

i think he is if everyone else is saying the oppisite..

grr
Quote by telecastermetal
kk well whats more expensive? a tube amp that can be heard over a drummer? or a solid state that can be heard over the dryummer?

Depends on if you want it to sound good or not.

Tube will be cheaper if you want it to sound good.

SS will be cheaper if you don't care.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Really kinda depends on tube amp since some similar wattage amps are louder than others.

Kinda consistent with SS amps though.

What kinda stuff do you like? Maybe we can recommend some amps.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
What? 30 watts of any solid state amp will not be able to be heard well over a good (dynamic) drummer with a good kit. I'd say more like 50, but you're gonna have to crank it.

30 watts of most tube amps will do it.

i was in a band for maybe 2 years using a crappy little 30watt crate amp. my volume was maybe 6/10 at most.

oh man did that sound like crap...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
When I was playing a solid state amp in a band environment, it was 100 watts and it was atleast past 2 o'clock

I had to play a few SS in a band environment. If your drummer isn't as heavy handed as mine was, 50+ watts should do.

tube, you could get off with 15 probably. Because you can crank tubes without them taking a poop on you.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
well i play metal,
Pretty much just metal..
as long as the gain is high.
I finally jsut realised how ****ty my 10 watt sounds so yeah.. lol
Yeah...your user name kind of implies that you play metal....on a Tele perhaps?

I'd give you a recommendation but I'm not a metalhead so I don't know any good metal amps
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
15-30 watts tube, 50 watts or more SS.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Wattage has very little effect on volume compared to speaker cone area and speaker efficiency. My 18W tube 2x12 is much louder than my friend's 65W SS 1x12. It requires a tenfold increase in power to get a doubling of volume, but if you double the speaker area you get a huge increase in volume. Speaker efficiency plays just as big of a role. Two speakers at 95dB efficiency being fed a watt each will be about as loud as one speaker of the same size at 98dB efficiency being fed a watt. So, the question isn't wattage so much as cone area and speaker efficiency.

Basically, listen to a few amps at the same dial level and see which is louder and try to find efficiency specs. A 2x12 will generally be much better in a band environment than a 1x12 if you can afford it.
Quote by Mike-T93
Wattage has very little effect on volume compared to speaker cone area and speaker efficiency. My 18W tube 2x12 is much louder than my friend's 65W SS 1x12. It requires a tenfold increase in power to get a doubling of volume, but if you double the speaker area you get a huge increase in volume. Speaker efficiency plays just as big of a role. Two speakers at 95dB efficiency being fed a watt each will be about as loud as one speaker of the same size at 98dB efficiency being fed a watt. So, the question isn't wattage so much as cone area and speaker efficiency.

Basically, listen to a few amps at the same dial level and see which is louder and try to find efficiency specs. A 2x12 will generally be much better in a band environment than a 1x12 if you can afford it.

Mike-T93 UG needs more people liek you who give proper information.
thank you.
Quote by BulletzAreScene
if you want to be heard clearly over the drums,
100-120 SS,
50-60 Valve.

Are you serious? You don't need 100W of SS to get over drums clearly.

15-30 for Tube, 30W of SS will just make it over drums if you turn it right up, 40-75 will do it comfortably.
i cleared a light drummer with a 15W MG once, horrid experience

i've known like 80ss struggle with a heavey handed drummer

15w tube will be fine on average
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I'll probably get flamed by the anti-high-wattage crew for saying this but my advice would be to get more watts than you think you'll need if you're getting a solid state amp. It should avoid you getting a horrible distorted sound at high volumes that way, and contrary to what loads of people seem to think, you don't HAVE to turn the amp up as loud as it can go - that's what the volume control is for.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by BulletzAreScene
if you want to be heard clearly over the drums,
100-120 SS,
50-60 Valve.

This. I highly doubt those of you playing with 15 watt amps or even 50 can be heard clearly.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Zero
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by thsrayas

im afraid your very wrong
i've gotten over a drummer with 10 solid state watts(it was an mg10 btw)
Quote by stratdud39
im afraid your very wrong
i've gotten over a drummer with 10 solid state watts(it was an mg10 btw)

Does your drummer play with strawberry laces instead of sticks?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Page 1 of 3