I recently got a bass from my friend that he found. It looks pretty cool, but it doesn't have a name on the headstock, and I'm pretty sure it's a copy of something like this.
Pic of the bass I have:

The only thing is though, the neck is warped (inward bowing). I really don't want to take it to a professional to fix, because I don't really even play bass, so I don't want to spend money on it.
I've searched on Google, and I've found two main options, adjusting the truss rod, or pretty much clamping the next to a flat piece of wood until its straight (in extremely shortened terms). I've already tried the truss rod, but I don't have the right sized key for it, the ones I have are either too small or too big.
So my question is: what should I do to unwarp/fix the neck other than getting a new neck, or is it not possible/worth it?
Truss rod adjustments.

Try google.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

You're going to have to find the proper-sized wrench and adjust the truss rod. What sizes have you tried?

edit: I don't think I've ever seen a jazz copy with a neck that thin....
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
You're going to have to find the proper-sized wrench and adjust the truss rod. What sizes have you tried?

I've tried a 3/16 and a 7/32. The 3/16 was too small, either that or the edges were too worn out, and the 7/32 was too big.
try 5 mm hex key.

this not real experience it form here:
Last edited by nicf at Jan 2, 2009,
It's probably metric. Try a 4mm, I think that's the most common size.

edit: beaten
Nope, no sig here.
Don't think we have any 4mm of 5mm. Would they normally sell these at a guitar store? I've never really had to do this, so I've never really payed attention to if they had 'em or not.
Because if not, I'll just go to Menards or something tomorrow.
Menard's is like Home Depot right? You should be able to find a relatively inexpensive set there.
Nope, no sig here.
Try the metric keys. Worst case senario is that the truss rod is stripped and alternative means will have to be used.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Menard's is like Home Depot right? You should be able to find a relatively inexpensive set there.

Yeah, pretty much the same thing.

And Captain, I sure hope the truss rod isn't stripped.

And for the adjusting of the truss rod, it's just turn it clockwise about an eighth, and then leave it for a day, see if it's better/worse, and adjust it some more?
Pretty much, yep. You really don't have to wait that long though, and 1/4 turn at a time should be ok.
Nope, no sig here.
No problem

edit: What the post below this says, basically. Longer periods are more useful when you're fine-tuning it, but right now you're taking a significant bow out, so there's no sense in waiting over a week for a full turn.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Gerald The Mous
So just wait a couple hours then?
And thanks for the help guys, it's really appreciated.

The basic rule of thumb is 1/4 turn, then check. When you turn it it's going to move. So if it's massively bowed and you turn it, you should be able to look and see if it's better, imeditely.
Thanks for the clearing up.
Depending how it plays after its unwarped, I'll get new strings and another metal plate thing to go over the other pickup. Since I'm no bassist, and I don't want to make another thread, what are some decent strings, and what gauge should I try first?
Since you don't want to spend a lot, I'll say that Ernie Ball strings are probably your thing. IMO they have the best price-to-tone ratio of nearly any brand.
Nope, no sig here.
That's an interesting looking thing.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I'm gonna say that a) it's not warped, it's bent.

And b) Take it to a shop. You don't know how old it is, they might even be able to tell you who made it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Update: It's been a while, but anyways, I ended up taking it the the local guitar store, and they adjusted/tightened the truss rod, which really didn't do anything. The neck is still really bent. Are there some other choices as to fixing it, without getting a new neck?
how much did they tighten it? When i set up my ibanez after putting rotosounds on it i had to give it 8-9 quarter turns. Which is a lot more than i've ever moved them before but those rotos really bent it all to hell. if the truss rod can't do it then you'd probably have to replace the neck. even if you got the wood to straighten out with pressure somehow if the truss rod isn't holding it back it will probably just bend back over a short time.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Revelation's right, theres not much else thats worth doing short of getting a new neck. Try warmoth.com, they make some beautiful replacement necks.
if you think about getting a replacement neck I'd try to adjust the truss rod yourself as much as possible. Turn it a quarter turn clockwise and let it sit for 1 or 2 hours then turn again. keep repeating until it looks good and there is no fret buzz. if there is fret buzz turn it counterclockwise with the same wait period. also you can adjust action to help fret buzz of course.

i can't see the bridge in that picture but I will state it isn't 100% that you will be able to adjust action. it's more like 99%. My ibanez has a bridge where it is impossible to adjust action. I was surprised when i saw it and spent a week trying to figure out how to adjust the action. the only adjustment on that bass is the truss rod. works fine though as the action doesn't seem to ever need adjusting. just the truss.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Hope you can get it fixed!

Free guitars ftw.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
A warped neck has a twist in it a bent neck is different, you can make adjustment to a bent neck via the truss rod, after making adjustment to the truss rod place one hand half way down the neck and the other on the headstock and give a gentle push in the direction that you are wanting the neck go. Repeat if need be, you do not need to wait between adjustments.
Always release string tension before adjusting the truss rod.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn