It seems to me that 80% of the threads here are in regard to one problem, and that is communicating with a band member who isn't pulling their weight. They might not be showing up to practice, they might not be rehearsing on their own to get better, they might be subpar in their abilities, but I'm seeing the same thing over and over. The answer for every single one of you is COMMUNICATION. There is no magic piece of advice anybody on this board can give you to resolve your band issues. The only thing you can do is communicate with your band members. And here's the tricky part: if talking doesn't work, quit the band. I know, it sounds harsh. But as somebody who has played in about a dozen bands over the past 10 years, trust me on this. Some of the bands I've been in worked (3 years in one of them before splitting, currently been with my band for 2 years and going strong), but most of them had band members that simply did not work well with others. I'd join for a week, see the writing on the wall, and I'd jump ship. Why? Because it wasn't worth my time, my effort to work with a band when my talent could be better used elsewhere, in a situation that wasn't dysfunctional. As a result, I spent a lot of time looking for bands, and it's frustrating. I see that a lot here as well, people saying there aren't other bands in the area. Well, it seems to me a lot of people here are very young, I'd say the average age is somewhere around the mid-teens. To you, I say: Be patient. There is no rush, and music is not a sprint, but a marathon. If your band isn't working and there's no other bands to join, quit. Practice on your own, stockpile original material, and then when a good situation opens up, you'll be prepared.
So go forth, rock out, have fun, and don't forget: unless you're a pro, music should be fun, so keep it that way. If you are looking to turn pro, well, that's a whole other thread.
+1 to you sir.

I bestow upon you, the Internet 3.0

AND

E-Cookies!!!
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Well said.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Well, let's condense that a bit...

It seems to me that 80% of the threads here are in regard to one problem, and that is communicating with a band member who isn't pulling their weight.

They might not be showing up to practice, they might not be rehearsing on their own to get better, they might be subpar in their abilities, but I'm seeing the same thing over and over. The answer for every single one of you is communication.

There is no magic piece of advice anybody on this board can give you to resolve your band issues.

Well said, OP.

Aside from that, I'll just add that it is better to find people whose goals and personality are directly in line with who you are and what you want than it is to find the player who can shred the fastest or whatever. If you find those people and they buy in to the communication piece, you've got a winning combination that you could be with for years.

After longer than I care to talk about, I *finally* found this combination. We've had one line-up change (musical differences, mostly), but otherwise, we've been going for three years and have had a lot of successes. The past year is one that most bands would not make it through without busting up. We all needed a break and took a few months off while the other guitarist and me started writing for a new album. We were all sick of the same ten songs or so we had been playing for the first two years. Then we had to take some more time off while one of us helped his father through cancer treatments, selling his house and moving in with him, getting him into a home, and finally passing away. We played one gig in the last year and a half now. We have an album that is 2/3 written, though, and will hopefully be gigging again by spring so we can go full on in the summer. I think the things that have kept us through all this were communication, and similar personalities and goals/priorities.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Wall of text; didn't read.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
I dunno... I think Ivanator's keen intellect has given us some powerful insight to this matter that could potentially change how we define our roles within music.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You probably should have given it a different title, like "If You're Having Problems With A Band Member, Look Here" because people arn't going to look here first. Good post otherwise.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
I stand by what I said. And truth be told, I'm too lazy to edit, but if people want to post things they think can be made more concise, I'll be glad to edit it into the original post.
this needs to be a sticky just so i can start saying searchbar for every thread that asks those questions
Quote by koslack
It seems to me that 80% of the threads here are in regard to one problem, and that is communicating with a band member who isn't pulling their weight.

They might not be showing up to practice; they might not be rehearsing on their own to get better; they might be subpar in their abilities, but I'm seeing the same thing over and over. The answer for every single one of you is communication.

There is no magic piece of advice anybody on this board can give you to resolve your band issues. The only thing you can do is communicate with your band members. And if talking doesn't work, quitting the band is your best bet. I know it sounds harsh, but I know from experience.

Some of the bands I've been in worked for years, but most of them had band members that simply did not work well with others. I'd join for a week, see the writing on the wall, and I'd jump ship. Why? Because my effort to work with a dysfunctional band when my talent could be better used elsewhere wasn't worth my time.

As a result, I spent a lot of time looking for bands, and it's frustrating. I see that a lot here as spend a lot of their time looking for the right band mates as well. To you, I say: Be patient. There is no rush, and music is not a sprint, but a marathon. If your band isn't working and there's no other bands to join, quit. Practice on your own, stockpile original material, and then when a good situation opens up, you'll be prepared.

So go forth, rock out, have fun, and don't forget: unless you're a pro, music should be fun, so keep it that way. If you are looking to turn pro, well, that's a whole other thread.

Copy that into the first post. I semi fixed it.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Last edited by shut_up_n00b at Jan 4, 2009,