So around this time of year, everyone is making their "big resolutions". I had been thinking about what mine were gonna be. I have a couple that are personal. But then suddenly, I began to realize I wanted to do something with my life. One night, I was watching Arrested Development on Hulu, and they have those 30 sec. commercials. One of these was for the United States Air Force. It intrigued me, so i did some research. I know that most of their ads are propaganda to get enlistments up, but i pretty much set my mind. So my big decision is to join the Air Force as an officer through ROTC. I've always wanted to do something for my country. In fact, recently I had thought about being a politician. But i think this is the right decision. I want to go and be an electrical engineer for them.I'm only a junior in High School, so i am going to talk to my counselor as soon as i get back to school.
What do you guys think of that. Have any of you been in the Air Force/military in general, and have anything to share?

TL;DR: I plan on joining the Air Force. Any comments about it or advice?
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
umm I know a lot of people in the army, navy, af, and and a couple of marines... you got to be dedicated....
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
all i will say is good luck. i have no desire to do something like that, but i respect the people that do.
My mom was in the Navy. She got to travel everywhere, and really enjoyed it. Stayed for 15 years.

IDK about the Air Force, but I heard they fly planes!
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Adding Arrested Development into the topic automatically made me think you wanted to be a magician...then I read the rest of it and was sorely disappointed.
Quote by david_highland
Adding Arrested Development into the topic automatically made me think you wanted to be a magician...then I read the rest of it and was sorely disappointed.

sorry about that. I had to add it because it was/is an amazing show.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
i say go for it man..if thats what you really wanna do than go for it..i thought about it for a while..cuz i dont seem to have much goin for me :P my new years resolution? get outta this shathole that i live in...good luck!
I would say it's a great way to repay your country and die in a pointless war.

Perhaps something less extreme?

But if you're hell-bent on it, I'd listen to this man... ^^^

i say go for it man...
I've never been in the Military but alot of my family has served and they all tell me this:

Do it because you want to do it. Do it because you want to serve the country, do it because you want to be a better person, etc.. It will be a rewarding fulfilling experience.

Don't do because you want job training or college money. It will be a terrible, hellish experience.

And remember, think it through. Make the wrong choice, and you could be in few a bad couple years. Yes, years.
Quote by Josh Shiells
I would say it's a great way to repay your country and die in a pointless war.

Perhaps something less extreme?

But if you're hell-bent on it, I'd listen to this man... ^^^

In all honesty, I dont think i will ever see a war front. At least thats what I have been told by someone who is doing exactly what i want to do. But if thats where it takes me, then so be it. Although, im not positive, but i dont think the air force usually supplies ground troops.

Quote by Captain Insano
I've never been in the Military but alot of my family has served and they all tell me this:

Do it because you want to do it. Do it because you want to serve the country, do it because you want to be a better person, etc.. It will be a rewarding fulfilling experience.

Don't do because you want job training or college money. It will be a terrible, hellish experience.

And remember, think it through. Make the wrong choice, and you could be in few a bad couple years. Yes, years.

yes, this is what i want to do. I want to give back to my country. I believe that it will give me a new perspective and make me a better man.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol

Quote by manic

yes, this is what i want to do. I want to give back to my country. I believe that it will give me a new perspective and make me a better man.

Then go for it. It will probably be very rewarding.
Quote by wesselbindt
To give something back to your country can be done in so much more constructive ways.

as in what? any examples? and why is this not constructive? I would be working with some of the most technologically advanced equipment in the world.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol

As it is now, they're probably going to ship you out to Iraq (or maybe Afghanistan) as soon as they can due to troop shortages. If we weren't tied up in unnecessary wars, it might be a good plan, but I wouldn't do it if I were you. Still, it's your choice, and it might turn out pretty well, especially if Obama keeps his promise and gets us out of Iraq.

Have you looked into the Coast Guard at all? They don't get shipped overseas to fight in wars, so IMO they're a better choice. Whatever you do, though, good luck.
kill all humans
Quote by manic
as in what? any examples? and why is this not constructive? I would be working with some of the most technologically advanced equipment in the world.

Don't get me wrong, but the army is mostly used to destruct things. As for constructive things; work in a hospital, scientific research, that's constructive. How does the fact that you'd be working with some of the most technologically advanced equipment in the world make it any more constructive?
But chill out dude, if you want to be in the airforce, I wont be stopping you.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
As it is now, they're probably going to ship you out to Iraq (or maybe Afghanistan) as soon as they can due to troop shortages. If we weren't tied up in unnecessary wars, it might be a good plan, but I wouldn't do it if I were you. Still, it's your choice, and it might turn out pretty well, especially if Obama keeps his promise and gets us out of Iraq.

Have you looked into the Coast Guard at all? They don't get shipped overseas to fight in wars, so IMO they're a better choice. Whatever you do, though, good luck.

Its the Air Force. They don't fight on land. They fight in the Air. And im not going to be a pilot. Shipping out is more the Army, Navy and Marines. Anyways, there isn't a troop shortage. I'm not even sure where you got that info from.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol

Quote by alaskan_ninja

The "giving back to your country" crowd is rarely dissuaded by the you could go to war and die, arguement.

If thats what needs to be done they will do it.
READ THIS:

If you plan on joining the Air Force to be an engineer, you will not be seeing any action, and you will not be killed. Anyone here who is saying you will be shipped off to the Middle East and put into the action is an idiot.

You will be fixing, building, and developing things. Most likely, you will not be in Iraq. Unless you choose to go Delta Force at some point, in which case you will be.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by manic
Its the Air Force. They don't fight on land. They fight in the Air. And im not going to be a pilot. Shipping out is more the Army, Navy and Marines. Anyways, there isn't a troop shortage. I'm not even sure where you got that info from.

Actually, only 10% of the Air Force actually flies any planes at all. The Navy, Army, and Marines do most of the flying. The Air Force develops the flying, fixes the flying, and sometimes flies the flying.

You are right, there is not a troop shortage. I'm not sure what this guy was talking about.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
thank you^.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol