Page 1 of 2
So since i just got my own camera, i decided i'd make a thread about my new project mod.

here's what im working with

its an epiphone sg special edition, nothing fancy but my friend gave it to me for free.

so here's my plan...

I'm gunna route the corner out about a half inch on the front and back, then make the cuts with a band saw to make it look like a saw blade.

heres a sketch of the blade on the actual body

after that i plan on painting the whole guitar gloss white, then doing a blood splatter effect coming off of the blade onto the guitar, and a bloody handprint somewhere on the body, probably right in the middle(the blade will be silver/grey, of course). As for as electronics go, i might throw in a volume and a tone for each individual pickup. I'll post pics as i go.
Last edited by spinalshred at Jan 2, 2009,
thats awesome!
at first i thought you were going to put an actual working saw into the guitar. that would be even better.
Not something I would do, and I cringe at the thought of anyone else doing such a thing, but if that's what you want to do more power to you...
thats cool and all, but i think you should dull out a real saw blade and put it into the guitar.

this is gonna be hideously uncomfortable on your elbow whenever you play, you might wanna put it somewhere else.
itd be cool, but how the hell are you gonna play?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I dont see how thats going to affect playability, even if you're sitting...

They wont be sharp, I hope, lol
...or if you want it to be really awesome, find someone or something that could make a clear plexi or plastic cover for the blade and get a small motor to make it spin violently. Maybe put a small red LED or two and sand the LED's casing lightly to dull the light down so there's a faint red glow. Well... that's what I would want to do at least.

Edit: I apparently have trouble reading and didn't realize you weren't using a real blade... But I think my idea is still kinda cool.

Edit x2: Oh, and also, speaking of volume/tone knobs... If you were to add them, make the tone knob "fake" and make it a control for the speed of the blade. Can a LED's brightness be changed with the speed? I don't really know. That'd be really sweet. Lol, I can't help but seriously get into interesting ideas like yours.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
Last edited by redwolf206 at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by redwolf206
...or if you want it to be really awesome, find someone or something that could make a clear plexi or plastic cover for the blade and get a small motor to make it spin violently. Maybe put a small red LED or two and sand the LED's casing lightly to dull the light down so there's a faint red glow. Well... that's what I would want to do at least.

I like that idea, but i'm not totally sure about the diffused red LED part. fortunately the LEDs are something simple to remove/change, so trial and error could be used.
that should look pritty sweet dude.
Somthing different
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Quote by exylum
thats awesome!
at first i thought you were going to put an actual working saw into the guitar. that would be even better.

Jackyl FTW.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Green_Jelly you read my mind!
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by chip46
I don't see how it would be uncomfortable, especially not standing up. If all else, just throw a small cloth towel over the corner to soften it up a bit on your arm. The teeth of the blade shouldnt' be that sharp if he sands them down though.

could you just move the design to the opposite side?

you should well give it buttons like the ones you get on saws etc.
I mean no offence, and I appreciate that you can - and will - do as you please with your guitar.. but I can't helping just thinking "Why?" when I look at this.

I'm not into doing things for the sake of doing them, or so that they look 'badass'.. or whatever kids are saying these days.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I mean no offence, and I appreciate that you can - and will - do as you please with your guitar.. but I can't helping just thinking "Why?" when I look at this.

I'm not into doing things for the sake of doing them, or so that they look 'badass'.. or whatever kids are saying these days.

QFT
I used to be the same way. "OMG SPIKES EVERYWAR!!!! BARBED WIRE FOR STRINGS!" Then I began to appreciate a tasteful subtle design. Thats probably why I dislike most metal though...
This isnt too bad though...I guess...
Quote by Prisoner5
QFT
I used to be the same way. "OMG SPIKES EVERYWAR!!!! BARBED WIRE FOR STRINGS!" Then I began to appreciate a tasteful subtle design. Thats probably why I dislike most metal though...

You haven't actually listened to much metal then...
put the sawblade on the bottom, opposite corner!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by -MintSauce-

Yeah, I really don't get it. A mod that has no practical qualities, is non-reversible, and will sacrifice the tonal quality of the guitar, I just don't get it. If I'm modifying a guitar it's strictly to improve the quality of sound or playability, I don't have any problem with re-painting/finishing but to actually remove mass from the guitar is just counteractive to having a good guitar. TS can do whatever he wants, but might I suggest simply painting a saw blade on there.
Quote by Pikka Bird
You haven't actually listened to much metal then...

He has different musical taste than you, it happens...it doesn't mean he hasn't explored the metal genre extensively enough, it just means he didn't like most of it. I listen to artists like Tom Waits, Primus, Nuclear Rabbit, Blonde Redhead, The White Stripes, etc. etc. And I get a lot of people that don't like the kinda music I listen to, I don't know why, I honestly can't fathom how someone couldn't like it cause I love it, but I don't claim that they simply don't know what they're talking about because of it...unless they try and claim that the music they listen to is somehow superior. So get over it dude, not everyone thinks the same way as you.
Quote by Prisoner5
David Highland, in addition to you saying that, if that is in fact spike in your avatar, I love you.

Finally, recognition....now I can get my plans to take over the world underway. And yes, it is indeed Spike Spiegel...
Quote by david_highland
He has different musical taste than you, it happens...it doesn't mean he hasn't explored the metal genre extensively enough, it just means he didn't like most of it. I listen to artists like Tom Waits, Primus, Nuclear Rabbit, Blonde Redhead, The White Stripes, etc. etc. And I get a lot of people that don't like the kinda music I listen to, I don't know why, I honestly can't fathom how someone couldn't like it cause I love it, but I don't claim that they simply don't know what they're talking about because of it...unless they try and claim that the music they listen to is somehow superior. So get over it dude, not everyone thinks the same way as you.

"People are different, and that is good."

Kudos on the avatar

EDIT: Now i have this indisputable need to watch Cowboy Bebop, thanks.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']"People are different, and that is good."

Kudos on the avatar

EDIT: Now i have this indisputable need to watch Cowboy Bebop, thanks.

Thank you, thank you... Yeah, and no problem. It's what I'm here for.
Quote by Prisoner5
Best show ever...except FLCL...gotta dig the music. Ok, leaving before I spam again.

FOOLEY COOLEY!
Btw TS i recomend you recess the blade in so it looks like a blade is inside the guitar vs a chopped up peice of wood.

Example is Ibanezes weird guitar they have on here...
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG420EG
Quote by david_highland

I am not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about just because he disagrees with my personal taste. I'm saying he doesn't know because he flat out suggested that the reason he doesn't like metal might be that he's into tasteful subtleties, hence insinuating that there's no taste or subtlety in metal. So although he didn't explicitly claim that the music he listens to is somehow superior, as you say, but he certainly implied that at least some of the music I listen to is inferior. However, I am a reasonable kind of guy, and I can appreciate it if he was making some jab or even just a cognitive oversight.

Pretty good band list, BTW. (Although I never could get into Blonde Redhead... Probably because I'm more into stuff with exquisite nuances. ).
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Pikka Bird
I am not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about just because he disagrees with my personal taste. I'm saying he doesn't know because he flat out suggested that the reason he doesn't like metal might be that he's into tasteful subtleties, hence insinuating that there's no taste or subtlety in metal. So although he didn't explicitly claim that the music he listens to is somehow superior, as you say, but he certainly implied that at least some of the music I listen to is inferior. However, I am a reasonable kind of guy, and I can appreciate it if he was making some jab or even just a cognitive oversight.

Pretty good band list, BTW. (Although I never could get into Blonde Redhead... Probably because I'm more into stuff with exquisite nuances. ).

It wasn't necessarily a jab, more of a statement of my opinion, take it as you will. I understand that subtlety isnt always good, and agree, so by indirectly stating that most metal dosnt have it, I am not, in fact, calling it inferior, but different, and not in line with my musical taste.
Quote by Pikka Bird

touche, I can see where you're coming from, nobody likes to hear that the music they like is too garish, and an observation of the flamboyant nature that is present in some metal (which is true of almost any genre, not just metal.) shouldn't be the soul reason for someone disliking that music, though I don't think it's too unreasonable for it to be a strong factor, because it isn't always the music it self that makes us like or dislike it, but what it conveys, which is sometimes derived from that image that rubs some of us the wrong way. I can't personally say I dislike any genre because of it's image, but it is a factor in whether or not I like, love, or simply tolerate a certain genre, pointy and jagged guitars that appear in heavier styles of music don't appeal to me, just like the whole gangster persona that some people adopt because they listen to hiphop oriented music doesn't appeal to me either, but certain aspects of the image of those genres doesn't prevent me from liking some music composed in those styles. It's only when image becomes more important than the music it self when I start to dislike it. The key word prisoner5 used was "most", he dislikes most metal, which would suggest that it isn't the music it self but the pointy image that all too often defines metal bands. What I'm trying to get at is that there was a misunderstanding, the too pointy image that sometimes makes for too pointy music simply isn't to the liking of Prisoner5, and you called into question the reasons for prisoner5's dislike of most of the metal genre, which I then mistook for musical elitism something I'm not very fond of. So here and now I call for a misunderstanding between the three of us to become an understanding, and as far as subtle and "exquisite" nuances go, a roller coaster wouldn't be fun if it didn't have it's ups and downs, the same way music wouldn't be great if some of it wasn't more subtle and some of it wasn't a little over the top. Done, and sorry to TS for kinda hijacking his thread, I hope you don't mind....
Do It
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
I think itll look cool, but that seems uncomfortable. What about the bottom corner like somebody else said?
+1 on the bottom corner.

also, from a sound point of view you are gonna want to keep as much mass as possible on the left side so the bass frequencies can hang out for a little while longer.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by david_highland
...Blah-blah...

Yeah, I don't think we're gonna have a long-lasting problem or nutthin'

...Re. This project- lots of people are suggesting the other side of the body now, but take a moment to consider- that cuts right into the control cavity. So there'd be nowhere to mount the electronics.
you know what, ?)

i haven't used that in a while.

In regards to the mod, I don't see a way that this could end well for the guitar. Maybe put the blade on the upper right horn? make it look like a lancer from Gears of War.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Page 1 of 2