Page 1 of 2
I'm always for saving a few clicks or seconds when it comes to common everyday tasks I do. Almost everyday I'll be surfing the web while listening to my tunes. If a really good song is playing, sometimes I'm inspired to pick up my guitar and play along. Then I would proceed to pull up UG from my bookmarks, then click the search dialog, type in my song or artist, select song or artist from the menu and hit search. Call me lazy but I've always wanted a quicker option and since I do this ALL the time it gets tedious.

So today I discovered Ubiquity. I know its been out for several months but I just got around to trying it out. If you haven't heard about it, Ubiquity is a Firefox addon that may revolutionize the browser user interface as we know it. You really have to see it in action for all of this to make sense. Watch the video and you'll understand alot more. You can also read more about it here . If you're sold, install it here.

By now you are probably asking yourself, what does all of this have to do with UG. Well Ubiquity was the solution to my little annoyance (and yours too). I whipped up an ubiquity command and now I can grab tabs in a flash. And I am sharing this with you guys.

If you are confused, allow me to simplify. Say I am listening to Hotel California and I get the itch to play along. Instead of going through the motions of aforementioned dilemma, I simply bring up the ubiquity command line (alt + space) and type so (the ultimate guitar song command is already filtered) and it knows I am listening to Hotel California and automatically suggests it so all I have to is hit enter. And thats it. I am UG with a list of tabs.

Let's say I am feeling a little Hey Jude by The Beatles. So I alt + space in my browser (from any page) and simply type 'so (command filters) hey jude' and hit enter. Done.

If you are still confused, just try it. I think you'll like it. But enough mumbo jumbo. Here is how to install everything:

1. You must be using Firefox 3.0. If you're not using Firefox, you're missing out. Internet Explorer is dead and insecure. Switch and you won't look back.

2. Install the Ubiquity addon. Simply click here and click Allow in the upper right hand corner. You'll be prompted to install and restart Firefox.

3. Install the UG commands. Go here and click subscribe. Scroll down and click 'I know what I am doing'. Check auto-update if you'd like. I might add some additional features depending on what kind of feedback I get here. They will automatically be available to you.

That's it! Bring up your ubiquity bar and you're on your way. As a note, you MUST have the addon FoxyTunes installed in order for it to automatically pull the song you are listening too. FoxyTunes is a handy media controller that sits in the bottom of your browser and allows you to quickly change songs without switching windows.

Please post feedback and let me know what you guys think. Also report any problems you have. Thanks!

Edit: Link fixed. Sorry.
Last edited by Ne000 at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by . . .
No one fucking cares.

Mate, will you please stop retarding up our threads.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
How about you stop advertising. It really isn't hard to save UG as a bookmark anyway.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by . . .
No one fucking cares.

shut the hell up..omg..09er..oh lord..they are coming..

ts..that looks pretty nifty im gonna try it
^ then why did you open the thread

Or you could right-click the searchbox and "Add a keyword for this search", which requires zero add ons and is also pretty easy also?
Quote by kylepianoman
too much work

so much easier. just set the search bar for ultimate guitar

/thread

How did you do that?
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I have a search bar tool for UG too. But I like to keep mine on google and its annoying to switch them. Plus I like keyboard shortcuts. I'm not saying its for everyone.
Quote by jetfuel495
In all honesty, I don't think that's an 09er, I just think it's a trolling multi.

But yeah, I think I'll give this a try as well.

He is a trolling multi.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

personally, i found this amazing and downloaded it right away. thanks for the article man. **** the naysayers.
how do i get the ug search bar?
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
why not just add UG as homepage ? That took me the hell of clicking.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by Ne000

3. Install the UG commands. Go here and click subscribe.

you have. Thanks!

where?????
Quote by Lgndkllr777
how do i get the ug search bar?

Try searchplugins.net for creating your own search bars. They have a handy search bar generator.

To the naysayyers: I am well aware that there is more than one way to skin a cat here people but I figured somewhere there might be someone who might like this.
Last edited by Ne000 at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by killer puppy
where?????

My bad. I forgot to add the link. Ha thats kind of important. It fixed now. Or go here
Quote by rabidguitarist
Mate, will you please stop retarding up our threads.

For what it's worth, what sold me on this thing was the dictionary definition/Wikipedia part.
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Jan 2, 2009,
how do i get foxytunes to start working? im listen to some songs in itunes, and itunes is my default player, but it doesnt do anything...
Yeah its still definitely worth installing even if you prefer getting tabs other ways.
I clicked the link and it says click subscribe but there's nothing to click...
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by Survivalism

That's slang, mate.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by killer puppy
how do i get foxytunes to start working? im listen to some songs in itunes, and itunes is my default player, but it doesnt do anything...

Do you have iTunes selected as your player in FoxyTunes? Click the musical note icon, then go to Player -> iTunes.
Quote by Ne000
Do you have iTunes selected as your player in FoxyTunes? Click the musical note icon, then go to Player -> iTunes.

yea thats what i did, but it just sits there...
Quote by Lgndkllr777
I clicked the link and it says click subscribe but there's nothing to click...

You have to have ubiquity installed as one of you add ons in Firefox. Did you do that?
Quote by killer puppy
yea thats what i did, but it just sits there...

Hmm... Try restarting iTunes and Firefox. I've never encountered that problem.
Quote by G-loony
why not just add UG as homepage ? That took me the hell of clicking.

Change your avatar! I had it first, stealer.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
shut the hell up..omg..09er..oh lord..they are coming..

DUN DUN DUN!

On topic:

All rendered moot, as I use the latest Internet Explorer.
Quote by Josh Shiells
All rendered moot, as I use the latest Internet Explorer.

Can I ask you a personal question?

...Why?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by Ne000
Hmm... Try restarting iTunes and Firefox. I've never encountered that problem.

i did...still nothing
Internet Explorer is a terrible browser. Even the latest version is still riddled with security flaws, and rendering problems. Webmasters hate it. Hackers love it.
That would be great for me, I have UG on the bookmark bar, but its set to The Pit so I always end up browsing here and forgetting to get my tab :/ I use Google Chrome though.
This is amazing!!

I need a bit of help though, I don't understand how I can communicate with Ubiquity in this sense.

Do I just type like... Teach Me How To Play-- or something??
Marijuana is the spice of life.

I Force Choke my penis when I masturbate.

8)-~
^
woah... I know it seems off topic, but I believe you're the first 03'er I've ever seen.
Ok

First I need me firefox... I've been meaning to use it.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Page 1 of 2