Page 1 of 2
So I've been stalking this thread for some time, watching builds and asking questions for things I'm doing with my guitar, and all you guys have helped me out greatly and for that I appreciate it =D

But for once I think I'm finally gonna try and building a guitar from scratch (as soon as I save up the money for the wood and hardware)

Here's my plan:

Double cutaway Les Paul, all mahogany (i can try), 22 Ebony Fretboard with Trap inlays, For the bridge (always wanted a floyd) A floyd rose, A bone nut, Locking tuners, Speed knobs, Attempting this type of paint job http://www.warmoth.com/paint/images/bodies/dye/red.jpg I'll even attempt to throw in Gibson 57' Pick ups in there (any better pick ups are welcomely suggested) I basically wanna make this the guitar of my dreams.

What do you guys think?Far fetched or can it be done?
Well, that's one of the reasons I wanna make it. I haven't seen many guitarists use a double cut les paul, that DOESN'T have p-90's in it.
Sounds like some well thought out specs, I'm sure it'll work nicely.

You said this is your first build, have you had any experience modding/customizing guitars? If not, a floyd for your first guitar might be a bad idea..
It can certainly be done (might have tuning issues without a locking nut if you like to slam the bar down against the body , but to be fair people do it, so you should be fine), and I highly promote this build!

For pickups: If you plan on spending over $100 per pickup anyway, go for Bare Knuckles. Search their site for some pickups that look interesting
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I have SOME experience. I've read two books through that basically give every instruction on how to install and route floyd roses, but still i'm not sure if i'm gonna do that part by myself. my friend's dad is absolutely amazing with that sorta stuff (he's a luthier i guess? I didn't know that) and he said he'd help me put it in if I needed any help so =D
for that finish you'll need a quilted maple top.
And why not a locking nut and ordinary tuners? Or aren't you going to abuse the bar to much.
And what kind of neck joint are you going for?
Quote by Shinozoku
It can certainly be done (might have tuning issues without a locking nut if you like to slam the bar down against the body ), and I highly promote this build!

For pickups: If you plan on spending over $100 per pickup anyway, go for Bare Knuckles. Search their site for some pickups that look interesting

I've looked at bare knuckles all over. I love them, but they're REALLY expensive. I've tried to buy some and they were about 260 so...maybe if I have the money to do so I think I'll do so. Thank you for reminding me though I wasn't even gonna look at it for this guitar.
A set of Mules should only cost about that much, shouldn't they? Whereas, unless you get them on sale, the Gibsons would be about $220 for a pair at least. Not THAT much difference, but yeah they're expensive XD Worth it though, from what I've heard.
Plus, with Barke Knuckle you can get an F spaced bridge pickup to accommodate that Floyd. Dunno if you could with a Gibson, but you could always do a Van Halen style angled HB
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 2, 2009,
Sounds like you have pretty much everything planned out, good luck

My only other suggestion would be to get some templates printed out and ready for when you do have the money
Quote by HibyPrime
Sounds like you have pretty much everything planned out, good luck

My only other suggestion would be to get some templates printed out and ready for when you do have the money

Thank you (to everyone else who said good luck as well)
I went over to the template thread and asked for one hopefully sometime soon I should be able to grab a few print them out and maybe even put them on cardboard or something that's not so...papery.lol

Quote by telemetal
for that finish you'll need a quilted maple top.
And why not a locking nut and ordinary tuners? Or aren't you going to abuse the bar to much.
And what kind of neck joint are you going for?

I think I will just get a locking nut instead. Simply because usually people who first get a FR usually abuse the bar to the point it's begging for help. (which is what i plan to do)
I also may wanna try a neck-thru. I'm not sure the difference in the traveling of the vibrations, but I think it'd just be cool to not have those bolts on the back.
And I will remember to get a quilted maple top for it thank you.

Quote by Shinozoku
A set of Mules should only cost about that much, shouldn't they? Whereas, unless you get them on sale, the Gibsons would be about $220 for a pair at least. Not THAT much difference, but yeah they're expensive XD Worth it though, from what I've heard.
Plus, with Barke Knuckle you can get an F spaced bridge pickup to accommodate that Floyd. Dunno if you could with a Gibson, but you could always do a Van Halen style angled HB

I talked to him and that is the set of mules your right, I suppose it couldn't hurt I'm gonna use this as my main guitar so why the hell not?lol But i dunno about the F space. I like the idea, but are they're good pick ups that can fit those? (Ones that maybe cover up the areas I can't with the bare knuckles?)

Quote by chip46
If you do a LP junior you would only need one pickup

Just kiddin, it's definitely a crazy build though. Should turn out to be nice guitar. I'm to chicken to do anything like that. If I made a LP it would just have a TOM and everything like a normal LP.

Well I like LP's, infact they're possibly my dream guitar (regular not custom) but I want a guitar that's original and different, I haven't seen many guitarists with double cut away les pauls, and even then not double cut away les pauls with an FR thrown in.

Hell I may even try 24 frets (that one may be pushing it lol)
so this is the kinda thing you want to go for?

'cause that would be awesome
Quote by telemetal
so this is the kinda thing you want to go for?

'cause that would be awesome

More or less. Different type of head stock (I'll hit that cross road when i get to it) infact just to be f**kin nuts I may throw three HB's in there, but that could be over kill.
i wouldn't go with three buckers, that'd most likely kill the sustain of the guitar, since there'd be too much magnetic pull on the strings
True true...Two buckers it is then. I wonder what design I could make for the pick guard...
Damn right.
Anyway, i hope this goes well for you, i've always had a soft spot for double cuts, and i love Dye/Stain finishes, so i'll be sure to be following this
Thanks for everything youve told me so far it's actually helped quite a bit lol.I coulda made some big mistakes otherwise.

I'll be sure (once i get a job) to start adding progress on this. Let's hope this goes well. I'm gonna start drawing out the body in school every so often so I can remember what I'm saving up for.

By the way, those who would like to make suggestions please do, I'm open to them =D
just me again, will it actually be that red colour, or something different?
Im gonna attempt that color. I'm definitely gonna be sure I know how to do everything, do everything on just crap wood to practice to make sure it comes out perfect and I can make this thing amazing.
good idea. Id suggest talkin to a few guys on here about buying wood and parts.
i think LP Addict sells wood and is an all-parts dealer
okay good because I was thinking of heading to a lumber yard near by but I wasn't sure if they'd have what I wanted. I actually have a few questions because come to think of it mahogany's gonna be..REALLY expensive lol. I heard Koa was a close second but I could've been lied to. I'll go PM him.
mahogany isn't too bad, i dont think. LP might recommend you a different wood as well, called Sapele, which is very similar to Mahogany, which he does sell that
The cost for the wood? i couldn't tell you sorry.
I'm not sure what LP charges, and there'd be shipping on that.
If you talk to your local lumber yard they could give you an idea
I think I'm gonna do that Saturday. I'm gonna check em out. Price them and see how much i need make, practice on some crap wood, may be just some really cheap thick wood. Hopefully I'll learn all I need to =D
if you want a cheap wood to practice routing and cutting etc, grab a slap of Poplar, its supposed to be quite cheap
Semi Update:

So I've found out my school has EVERYTHING I need to turn a piece of wood into a guitar. A Router a ban saw, different files, so on. (Forgot the rest of the names) I'm also going to buy wood from LP addict as soon as I get the money a 20 x 14 x 2 1/9th of sapele mahogany (that's what he said)

=D i'm excited! For the record: LP Addict is amazing lol
i knew he'd give you Sapele, he fuggin loves that stuff
Last edited by telemetal at Jan 4, 2009,
lol but now is where i'm a little lost, I'm wondering if i should do a set neck, because a neck thru would cost quite a bit and require quite a bit of work so..a set neck would be nice but idk. What do you think?Set Neck or maybe even a bolt on?
SET FTFTW
that's what my build will be (the one im working on now)
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Then what's what I'll do. I know a lot of gibson stuff has set necks so I figured it'd not only be traditional I'm also very use to set necks. I dont have one guitar that is a bolt on. So lol

Also does LP Addict do pre-made stuff? I'm not sure I can make an ebony/maple neck
It's not as hard as you think.really, its not.
and yea he does,
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
It's not? Oh, you can throw pick up rings on your pick ups with set necks right? Or does the neck being so close make it so you can't?

(I may have been looking at a different type of set neck)
An All-Access Neck Joint, basically its a set neck, but carved as to give insane upper fret access, for example
Page 1 of 2