Hey UG. I've been using my Hal Leonard guitar method book to learn guitar and so far I'm up to the first chord stage, I've learned the C and G7 chords as of now. The part I'm having trouble with (besides changing chord shapes quickly) is understanding the music I'm given now. I was told to strum the chord given at the top of each measure every time there is a "/" marked in the measure. So, I followed and played the C chord 4 times in the first measure, G7 4 times, C 4 times, G7 4 times and C held for 4 beats. So that was pretty easy. Now I've been given 'Tom Dooley' to play, with the instructions: "Now apply this strum to the song below." Now there is a chord above every few measures, but what I don't understand is there is single notes in the measures as well, am i supposed to play the chord then the notes, or apply my strum to the single notes (i.e. downward pick) or play the chord given every time there is a note (e.g. 4 G quarter notes in the first measure, so I play the C chord the same 4 times as the G note is). I know this may sound a little confusing but if anyone understands I would gratefully appreciate it!
You are most likely supposed to play just the note when its listed and the whole chord when all the notes are there
G7 is a funny chord to start with?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
i learnt using this book as well and you plat the chords while your teacher plays the notes
Hello my name is Tom

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul custom Zakk Wylde Camo
Squier strat with a stacked humbucker
Fender Jagstang sonic blue
BOSS DS-1
Crybaby classic
Quote by tomishere100
i learnt using this book as well and you plat the chords while your teacher plays the notes

Yeah I started to think so, thanks for all your help guys. Funny thing is I bought this book and Bass Method Complete Edition for myself, I don't have a teacher! But it's rather understandable having done Clarinet and Saxophone in the past so I can comprehend theory and I've been a bass player for 6 months so I know about fretting and chord stretches aren't really a challenge for me. But yeah the books are great I recommend anyone with a teacher or anyone who's beginning and wants to challenge themselves to give these books a try!

EDIT: Also, about the dilemma I mentioned earlier, I settled with playing the song in chords and THEN playing it again in the single notes provided.