Could a tube amps speaker ever blow? Serious question...I honestly don't know the answer. How could it blow?
Why wouldn't it? I mean... a speaker is a speaker. By the time the signal hits the speaker, the tube circuitry is already passed by. I mean, tube or not, an amp puts out a certain amount of power, if you put out more power than the speaker can handle, then you, you fry it. I'm more curious as to how you thought they WOULDN'T blow.

Seriously, tubes are just electrical devices, they are not magical objects...
Speakers blow either by the overheating and subsequent melting of the voice coil or by the cone being thrown too far and ripping its surround. These events occur, respectively, when the speaker is fed more power than it's rated for thermally for an extended period (i.e. a 50W speaker being fed 75W continuously) or being fed more power at peaks (kick drum, hard strums, etc.) than it's rated for maximally, especially with high levels of distortion and/or low frequencies (i.e. 120W through that 50W speaker that can handle 100W peaks). This can happen regardless of the type of amplifier driving the speaker.
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jan 2, 2009,