Well, I've been looking for a guitar lately and I have interested in a Floyd Rose Tremlo.

I have been told by my mates and guitar teacher they are a piece of **** (in their words) but I have seen so many guitarists use them and do the most awesome effects that only come from a FR.

So are they good or not? I know how to restring them (thanks to youtube videos ) if thats the only hurdle I'm pretty much past it.

Soz if this has been done a lot, I used searchbar and I couldn't find what I wanted.

DS EDIT: (Repeated down the page)

Yep, ok so they are good...

If I wanted to get a guitar and it had everything I wanted except it had a licensed Floyd Rose (Say This, I'm still thinking about which guitar so might not get this one, I love those awesome shapes btw ) will it still be trustworthy or leave it?
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Last edited by Dimster Ds at Jan 2, 2009,
Personally I see it as gimmicky overcomplicated crap unless your Steve Vai. Or use a tremolo as much. But that's all opinion.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Generally, the licensed FR trems suck (exceptions are generally Ibanez Edge/EdgePro, etc and certain jackson trems)
The original FRs are good.
Your guitar teacher and your "mates" are obviously foolish for generalizing FRs into that category.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
I think there's a stickied thread on tremelos somewhere...

Anyway, they're not bad, and they're also the most well known I guess.

Kahler is another tremelo brand to look into if you want, find what suits you.
They arent bad as long as you get a good one, alot of companies make them with cheap metal such as the edge III. But if you get an origonal floyd rose or one of the high end ibanez trems like the edge pro they are awsome.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
Floyd Rose a piece of sh*t? Hardly. If I had a guitar teacher and he told me that I'd walk out on him right there and then. Not because I love Floyd Rose trems but because of his biased unintelligent opinion that would have me wondering how much he really knows and understands about guitars.
Some love them some hate them, to each their own but they are one of the best at what they do theres no denying that.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Well, I remember my teacher telling me that one time he had to help someone change the strings on one and they had to pull the guitar apart to do it or something. But he just doesn't like them, it doesn't bother him anyway.

One of my mates used to have a B.C. Rich with a FR, he was saying they are a bitch to restring.

I think they had trouble restring the thing thats why they hate it. But I don't know, I'll ask my mate next time I see him.
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Floyd rose is amazing, Duno why people bitch bout them being so hard to set up and what not, no biggie to me.
Decent trems that is.

If I wanted to get a guitar and it had everything I wanted except it had a licensed Floyd Rose (Say This, I'm still thinking about which guitar so might not get this one, I love those awesome shapes btw ) will it still be trustworthy or leave it?
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

even better than a FR...Ibanez ZR bridge...
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
even better than a FR...Ibanez ZR bridge...

Says who?
Quote by DSOTM80
Says who?

says I

with a full floating, you cant double-stop, and if a string breaks your ****ed, nto to mention the ZR never goes out fo tune on me.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
It's great if you only play in one tuning.
That's why I sold my RG1570.
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by sacamano79
says I

with a full floating, you cant double-stop, and if a string breaks your ****ed, nto to mention the ZR never goes out fo tune on me.

And you are? How about the many famous and not guitarists that use an OFR and swear by it? and an OFR has been proven for over 25 years, how long has the ZR been around?
My Floyd never goes out of tune also so what? Its what they are designed to do. Besides if I break a string the other strings don't go out of tune because I don't have mine setup to float, its sitting on the body.
Quote by DSOTM80
And you are? How about the many famous and not guitarists that use an OFR and swear by it? and an OFR has been proven for over 25 years, how long has the ZR been around?
My Floyd never goes out of tune also so what? Its what they are designed to do. Besides if I break a string the other strings don't go out of tune because I don't have mine setup to float, its sitting on the body.

yea your right, ZR is new, and up to date, and i prefer it. If you prefer FR, then use it.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Not all LFR's are bad. Some companies make pretty decent LFR tremolos (like schaller).
WTLTL 2011
Quote by DSOTM80

ZR=absolute tuning stability when fully floating
FR=more range
Neither one is inherently better than the other, it's just a matter of whether you need more range or more unison bends or whatever. It's preference.

I find all LFRs feel cheap except the high-end Ibanez and Jackson ones. The best cheap LFR you could get IMO would be the Edge Pro II, whose has replaceable knife edges save it from being utter shite.
Quote by Dimster Ds

Personally, I'd say no to Deans. Have you tried out this guitar before?

Also, when considering FR guitars, how often do you change tunings? Trust me, it's an absolute pain in the ass to change tunings!
I would concur with Rock Pig in this matter, but i must also say that a FR isn't a must unless you have developed yourself to HEAVILY depend on it which i doubt isn't the case here...

MmHm, you really don't need a FR or a trem. for every type of music, you could get the same effects just with skills >.< Which took me a while to develop ¬_¬ (Stupid Squier Bullet old as hell with no trem. >.<.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Well changing tunings is a major pain in the backside for FRs but changing strings, tuning and all isnt that hard. Its realy not such a hassle that everybody makes it out to be. I have an Edge (the original) bridge on my ibanez and it rocks, i just have to get the knife edges sharpened. And i dont realy use it that much, but when i do im glad i have it. How are you gonna do divebommbbs without a FR, i ask you!?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I might add that licensed Floyds are perfectly fine for tuning stability if you're using them in a non-recessed setup, a la Eddie Van Halen. I had a licensed Floyd in my guitar like that for a long time and it held tuning spectacularly - it had issues with tuning but it was movement at the nut which I promptly fixed.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Rock Pig
ZR=absolute tuning stability when fully floating
FR=more range
Neither one is inherently better than the other, it's just a matter of whether you need more range or more unison bends or whatever. It's preference.

I find all LFRs feel cheap except the high-end Ibanez and Jackson ones. The best cheap LFR you could get IMO would be the Edge Pro II, whose has replaceable knife edges save it from being utter shite.

The EPII isn't all THAT bad, much better than either the Edge III or the Lo-TRS I,II. In fact, it's pretty decent.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
OFR and ZR are the two best Trems on the market in my opinion. Your teacher is a dunderhead.

Sure if you wanna change tunings, then thats a pain, but that's the same with any floating bridge. That's why people have two or more Guitars.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Owning a guitar with a Floyd OFR or LFR is a lot more work than owning a fixed bridge guitar. Once you get experianced with them you won't have problem. So many of the used guitars I have bought dirt cheap over the years that were equipped with either the OFR or the LFR. They were sold becuase the people that owned them never bothered to learn how to set them up and keep them maintained sorry but most were young kids who just thought it would be cool to have a guitar with a Floyd. I would get the guitars home and set up the Floyd right and have a great guitar.

As far as the LFR trems go you can find some nice ones out there not all LFR are crap the cheaper the guitar the more likely your going to get a cheap LFR but I found some decent ones on cheaper guitars. I have two DEANs with LFR that perform just as good as the OFR I have. I have three BC Rich guitars with LFR two were perfect and the actually more expensive BC Rich LFR was crap. It's possible it was swapped with a cheaper Floyd I am pretty sure it came with OFR. I had it replaced with another LFR from an old Peavey guitar and works great now.

I say until your prtty good wait to get any guitar with a Floyd. Once you tink you can handle it try out as many as you can and pick one you think will work for you. Hang on to whatever guitar you have now so if you get frustrated with the Floyd you can put it aside and keep playing. Read the tutorials on them go to the Floyd site and download all their info. Take the time to learn it and I am sure you'll love it. Most guitarists who use trems have back up guitars in case a string breaks but if the Floyd is set up right replacing a broken string shouldn't effect it.

John
Personally, once I learned how to setup and maintain my Ibanez Edge Pro bridge, I can change tunings probably almost as quickly as someone without a floating bridge. It's not hard to maintain, if you have any intelligence at all.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
I've never used one. They are overly complicated for me, I dont care much for temelos, and There is only one song I know that would require a Floyd, but to say all Floyd Rose's are crap is incredibly short minded and biased. For someone who plays styles of music that requires alot of tremelo use and wants to stay in tune and doesn't mind the initial hassle of setting it up, its perfect. Tell your teacher hes an idiot.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
*Jumps in to be the pessimist*

Personally, I think their awful and I don't see the point unless you use it about as much as Steve Vai or Eddie Van Halen. Frankly, my strat barely detunes unless I use it's tremolo about as heavily as the aforementioned two, and Floyd's are hell to restring.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Most kids here probably haven't used one... they are fine if you are willing to put time and effort into them!!
floyd roses are awesome as long as you (a) get a good one and (b) will actually use it, and need the extreme whammy abuse capabilities of a double-locking trem.

Quote by DSOTM80
Floyd Rose a piece of sh*t? Hardly. If I had a guitar teacher and he told me that I'd walk out on him right there and then. Not because I love Floyd Rose trems but because of his biased unintelligent opinion that would have me wondering how much he really knows and understands about guitars.
Some love them some hate them, to each their own but they are one of the best at what they do theres no denying that.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?