OK
i have several questions in reference to death metal guitar cause i wanna compose for a song i wrote (Kill Me Tonight) and i need to know a few things

-what tuning is death metal guitaring normally done in
- how can i create death metal riffs
-some good, heavy power chord proggressions for the rhythm guitar
-how to write solos

also slightly OT but DM oriented nonetheless.
how, using a line 6 spider III fifteen wat amp can i create a sound similar to the one used in Festering In The Crypt by Cannibal Corpse.
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
tunings, it can be anything.

cannibal corpse use Eb tuning, but bands like JFAC use drop B and A#
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I'm not sure but i think the early DM bands used D Standard tuning (Malevolent Creation), but nowdays DM bands use everything from E Standard to A Standard.
ok
a coupla things
JFAC?
and what do you mean by Emulate? are you trying to say copy or create sometihng similar?

also, can someone attempt to explain this sentence i found on a wikihow to me For a riff, pull a riff using root notes from a power chord with a very weak arpeggio. (ex; E string, 5-5-5-5-5-5-5-8-8-8-7-7-7-7-7-5-5-5-5 etc).

i don't really understand arpeggios
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
i know a scale is a group of 8 notes asscending in pitch and an arpeggio with a chord is each note played in individual strums as opposed to one long pick
does it work the same with a power chord?
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

Use alot of chromatic moves, and try playing around with flatted fifths.

For example, take this thrashy riff in E Minor. (E-F-F#-A-B-C-D-E)

E W  E W  E W   EE EE
D|-5----4----2-----44-22
A|-5----4----2-----22-00
E|-3-0"-2-0"-0-0"-------

" = Tremolo picking.
E/W = Whole notes, eighth notes. (Probably the wrong rhythm for this.

Okay, so thats a nice thrashy riff, but if you were to take the third power chord, in this case an E5 and move it up one half tone to F5, it'd make it a chromatic riff, and makes if alot heavier sounding, then take the B5 chord, which is the fifth of E and change it to a Bb5, the tritone/flatted fifth of E, another move that makes it heavy.

Another tip is instead of playing straight minor keys, try the Phyrigan (sp?) mode. Which is the natural minor, but with a diminished second.

Another bit of advice to make riffs that are already heavy, just a little heavier is downpicking, downpick any riff that you can, make sure it isn't sloppy either, also, sometimes, play a riff you'd normal play on two strings, ie, on the riff I posted, instead of playing the B5-A5 on the A and D strings, play on the E and A strings, the thicker strings will give you a heavier sound, thats something Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath used to do alot.

Also, in general, D Standard, which is one whole step down, is a good tuning for metal, its not floppy, but its heavier then just playing in E.
ok good advice
but i don't understand it my musical theory is just arpeggios and how the steps in scales work =)

i don't get flatted fifths or chromatic riffs or anything like that

could you post:
how they work
some minor chords to useadvice for actually getting DM riffs
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

dude kill me tonight, that sounds hardcore. well tips to writing it.... if its you screaming/singing, fit the key to something reasonably close to your voice, and you can use, oh whats the name of the chord, um in dropped C say it would be somtehing like:
C|-5----this being low c
F|-7
C|-7
i dont remember what those chords are called but they make some heavy sounds.

and tuning; dropped B,D,A,C. most heavy bands like Job For A Cowboy (JFAC for those of you wonder what that was.) i use C tuning alot, or dropped c or B mostly. let me know how it goes.
Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

--------------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail----------------

well its apparently its death metally
read it mate
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

Use any tuning you normally keep your guitar in. Tuning should have no bearing on heaviness. I would advise that you don't tune down alot, as thats going to result in terrible string tension. If you must play lower, either get a seven-string, or get the heaviest strings you can get.

I also advise that you don't try to write a specific genre. Write the music so that it sounds good, but you don't need to try to sound like Cannibal Corpse. And if you have to ask how to write death metal, you probably won't be able to learn enough from one thread. It takes experience.
Quote by Demoniac_UK
well its apparently its death metally
read it mate

i dont get what your saying.
Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

--------------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail----------------

C is a good tuning

although B, while it still is a viable option, will still recieve flop and whatnot even if using thick strings.

...or you could just get a 7 string guitar
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by TheTortured
C is a good tuning

although B, while it still is a viable option, will still recieve flop and whatnot even if using thick strings.

...or you could just get a 7 string guitar

Yeah, seven strings are great. Lower notes, while still retaining tension. And it doesn't mess with your head, because the high strings are still the same. And then you can tune to drop A really easy, while still being able to play as if its a standard-tuned six, but also get the barred power chords.