constently switch pickups?
I've seen countless videos of a guitarist playing a Les Paul and every 10 notes he slaps his pickup toggle and plays another 10 notes and changes back.
Is it because it's supposed to look cool when you slap your guitar?

I've rarely seen a Strat player do it, maybe it just isn''t as cool to gently adjust a switch instead of pound it downwards...
They want all the sound they can get from it
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
the only reason I can imagine why they do it is to switch between rhythm and solo's
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether
the only reason I can imagine why they do it is to switch between rhythm and solo's

No, I'm talking like mid-improvistation, every 10 seconds.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
No, I'm talking like mid-improvistation, every 10 seconds.

For the lulz, srsly.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
the neck pick up sounds great when youre playing higher up the fret board and the bridge sounds great when youre playing lower on the fret board.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
because we can
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Quote by lp_std
strat players probly do do it. you just dont notice it because the switch is easier to reach

...No?
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
maybe cus the vibrato sounds more epic on the neck p'up, or they want like a warmer feel to the notes in tht section?

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
I don't play an LP, but I switch pickups alot. The difference between my treble and center position is massive and vital to what I'm playing.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
watch Trey Anasatasio, the dude is switching pickups and adjusting volume and tone knobs every three seconds, he's like some master of tone
Les Pauls, unlike many other guitars, actually have a drastic difference between the two. They just allow for different sounds.

As a player of both Les Paul and other guitars, I can tell you plenty of other guitars that barely seem any different when the pickups are switched.
Different tone maybe?
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by DirtyMakik
...No?

...Yes?

With your right hand, i think the strat switch is easier to quickly flip than reaching up for the toggle.

And it's for different tones. Petrucci does this. It also eliminates some of the pick noise which would normally be more prominent while playing up higher with the bridge pickup.
Quote by Pac_man0123
...Yes?

With your right hand, i think the strat switch is easier to quickly flip than reaching up for the toggle.

And it's for different tones. Petrucci does this. It also eliminates some of the pick noise which would normally be more prominent while playing up higher with the bridge pickup.

But the switch itself makes it easier to ...switch.

Though the switch on the SG/Strat is at a better emplacement.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
because les pauls get a radically different sound out of their neck pickups. i just discovered it myself, and i have a new found love for the warmth of it. i actually prefer the neck pickup for solos now, other than it's lack of pinch harmonics
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Because in strats and the like, the bridge pickup is really bitey and harsh when overdriven, on les pauls, it's alot warmer. The neck pickup in a strat is still very bright, whereas the neck pickup on the les paul is really mellow. The Les Paul gives a good transition between the two, strats not so much, it's really noticeable and unpleasing. (I know it doesn't sound like it, but I prefer strats).
Quote by DirtyMakik
But the switch itself makes it easier to ...switch.

Though the switch on the SG/Strat is at a better emplacement.

The strat you can just push down or pull up. The LP you have to put some uumph into it. That combined with the location make it quite obvious when you switch pickups.

I have 2 guitars with LP-placed toggle switches and one with a strat switch. I can tell the difference.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Because in strats and the like, the bridge pickup is really bitey and harsh when overdriven, on les pauls, it's alot warmer. The neck pickup in a strat is still very bright, whereas the neck pickup on the les paul is really mellow. The Les Paul gives a good transition between the two, strats not so much, it's really noticeable and unpleasing. (I know it doesn't sound like it, but I prefer strats).

there is not a single logical argument in your response, reading it made me question whether or not english is your first language
Quote by hippotato7
there is not a single logical argument in your response, reading it made me question whether or not english is your first language

LP's bridge pickup is pretty far on the treble side. The neck pickup is a lot smoother and mellower.

The neck pickup on a strat is still a bit on the bright side, obviously due to the type of guitar is is and the wood it's made out of.
because old cars are boring
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Guitar0player
What?

oh just me making incredibly lame joke attempts.

pickup- car

switching pickups - getting a new car

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
oh just me making incredibly lame joke attempts.

pickup- car

switching pickups - getting a new car

This.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Why do guitarists always put their fingers on diferent frets?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by i am iron man
The placement is pretty convenient to switch whilst playing. It happens accidentally when i play sometimes.

Yea, it seems to be in perfect alingment with my strumming motion... always hitting it
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by sg622
the neck pick up sounds great when youre playing higher up the fret board and the bridge sounds great when youre playing lower on the fret board.

This. Although on a good LP, the bridge will still sound beefy high up.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
To make music?

Y'Sure?

or maybe to fretsync with a backing track... --_--
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Many guitar players switch pick-ups, whether they are playing a Les Paul or not. Stevie ray Vaughan was well known for switching pick-ups to emphasise different parts of solos and create different effects, whereas someone like Peter Green would adjust his tone controls to adjust his out of phase tone mid solo.

It's nothing to do with what guitar you play, it's called "attention to detail".
I don't play a LP, but I switch pickups a lot. My Charvel has 2 single coil pickups and an active humbucker, so I can get quite the sound range from it.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.