Long story short, started taking apart my Squire 'Strat to upgrade it.

I'm curious as to what kind of wood the body is made of. According to the neck it was manufactured in December of 2004, I've searched with no luck. I'm thinking Alder? I'm not too familiar with wood related to appearance.

Some help would be appreciated, I plan on putting a genuine Fender Maple neck on it, new internals, bridge, tuners, repainting etc.,

Summary: Need to know wood of December 2004 Squire Affinity series guitar body. Says it was manufactured in Indonesia. s/n: ic041251932
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Affinity series Squires are made out of alder
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Woozye
don't upgrade a squier .. it's just spending money ..

it can be worth it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Woozye
don't upgrade a squier .. it's just spending money ..

I appreciate your input, but it gives me a project to do. There is no reason with a new neck, internals etc., this guitar can't be setup to play as good or better than an American Strat.
I'm not trying to be an ass, so don't take it that way...I just bought a PRS and don't really need to spend another grand on a guitar when I can mess with this one and have a nice playing Strat for a couple hundred. If that.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..

That's the body as it looks right now. Not finished, but may give some of you a better idea.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
i think that those shipped to america are made of alder whereas everywhere else they are agathis, so my guess would be that yours is alder, but knowing squier, there's bound to be a few accidentally misplaced models in america made of agathis, and likewise a few made of alder outside the states
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
That is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Alder hehe. Unlucky it's cut in 3 parts =[ you could just gloss it and leave it natural but it would look ugly because of that >.<

For upgrading this is an AWESOME guitar IMO. Groover locking tuners is a must, use the same bridge but change the saddles for some of your preference (Terra-glide *drools*) And throwing in a graph nut is also a must 100% hehe.

For pickups i would say it would depend on you, getting a HH config. is nice but a also SSH is so this is a bit hard or if you want SSS as it is, for this i would like to hear first what styles you like to play the most :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Blompcube
i think that those shipped to america are made of alder whereas everywhere else they are agathis, so my guess would be that yours is alder, but knowing squier, there's bound to be a few accidentally misplaced models in america made of agathis, and likewise a few made of alder outside the states

Thanks Blomp, Alder is cool with me. Seems most American Strats are Alder, and well since there is no S/N matching body/neck....as far as I'm concerned this will be an American 'Strat when I'm done minus a certificate of Authenticity.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by Line6
That is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Alder hehe. Unlucky it's cut in 3 parts =[ you could just gloss it and leave it natural but it would look ugly because of that >.<

For upgrading this is an AWESOME guitar IMO. Groover locking tuners is a must, use the same bridge but change the saddles for some of your preference (Terra-glide *drools*) And throwing in a graph nut is also a must 100% hehe.

For pickups i would say it would depend on you, getting a HH config. is nice but a also SSH is so this is a bit hard or if you want SSS as it is, for this i would like to hear first what styles you like to play the most :3

Yeah that's my problem, I'll go from Hendrix/John Mayer/Neil Young/Incubus/Slipknot/FFDP haha. The heavier stuff is what my PRS is for though,
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by kylec922
I appreciate your input, but it gives me a project to do. There is no reason with a new neck, internals etc., this guitar can't be setup to play as good or better than an American Strat.
I'm not trying to be an ass, so don't take it that way...I just bought a PRS and don't really need to spend another grand on a guitar when I can mess with this one and have a nice playing Strat for a couple hundred. If that.

sory , didn't see your sig

Well, if you are really into it, do it. I see it is routed for HSH , you could go with a cool combination there , and by the looks it is Alder , I guess
Awww, you wanna sound like me :3

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lace-Sensor-Blue-Silver-Red-3-Pack-S-S-S-Pickup-Set-305416-i1168087.gc

HANDS DOWN, Can't go wrong in the lace's~ My Squier has them and i must say bro, THEY ARE THE BUNG FOR THE BUCK!~

The red is pretty fat sounding and noiseless but if you don't find that enough then...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lace-Sensor-Gold-Guitar-Pickups-3-Pack-S-S-D-Set-w--Dually-Bridge-305433-i1168092.gc

Oooooh, may the lord illuminate your path to get one of those sets :3

Quote by Woozye
sory , didn't see your sig

Well, if you are really into it, do it. I see it is routed for HSH , you could go with a cool combination there , and by the looks it is Alder , I guess

You know oddly enough I haven't cut any holes, but it was obviously SSS from the factory but it was already cut like that.
I just figured they all were, I thought it was odd also.

This may be a dumb question, but as the Squire internals are "junk" where or do I need to, pick up American or better wiring / pick up selector etc.,?

I assume the pickups do not come with wiring?

Also, if I can be so annoying to ask....what are the advantages if any of roller trees on the headstock?
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Last edited by kylec922 at Jan 2, 2009,
Roller trees can get you more sustain but if you get the graph nut and new saddles that is more than enough and i think you should get new pots, wiring and selector since that is something Squier tends to sell of low quality. If you check in there, some of the lace sensors come already pre-wired, if you don't wanna waste a lil time wiring and stuff you could get it like that :3

im pretty sure that squier strats are made of some sort of cheap alder
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by kylec922
You know oddly enough I haven't cut any holes, but it was obviously SSS from the factory but it was already cut like that.
I just figured they all were, I thought it was odd also.

This may be a dumb question, but as the Squire internals are "junk" where or do I need to, pick up American or better wiring / pick up selector etc.,?

I assume the pickups do not come with wiring?

Also, if I can be so annoying to ask....what are the advantages if any of roller trees on the headstock?

Because the routing is covered by a pick guard, they are routed HSH to allow for different models to be sold without adding cost.

Squier electrics are rubbish (as are electrics in any guitar in the price range) - I'd recommend CTS pots, Oak Switch, Switchcraft Jack. Pickups come with the wires to hook them up, other than that, I'd suggest getting some cloth covered wire.

Roller trees are designed to reduce friction, I'd say get staggered locking tuners (Sperzels) and a graphtec nut, do away with your string trees all together. That'll make a huge difference to your tuning stability.

There's a photo of my modded Standard Series Squier in my profile - I prefer playing it to my MIA Tele now - I've spent A LOT of money on it over time, but it plays beautifully now.
Most of the research I've done tells me that MIM and MIA Strats are made of the same body wood most of the time. Is this true?
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by kylec922
Most of the research I've done tells me that MIM and MIA Strats are made of the same body wood most of the time. Is this true?

yes, they are both made of alder. I dont know if its the exact same piece though on both. The mim might use cheaper alder, but they both use the same type of wood, alder.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Alright cool thanks man, I'm probably going to get all of the paint off today and paint it tonight.

I'm looking at the pickguard......and I'm wanting to do black...but take red paint on my fingers and "splash" it across.....is this possible to paint a pickguard? Mine now is white..
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
It's possible to paint it as long as you give it a nice lacquer after it

Okay, I'm looking at Warmoth and necks off Ebay right now....eBay makes me skeptical, so IDK.
There's an American Standard maple neck right now with roller trees already on it for 200$. I'd rather buy a "Fender" neck with the stamp on the headstock, and not just one with a plain piece of wood...hence Warmoth. I know that's stupid to some, but just my preference.

If I do another one, I'll probably go for a Warmoth or something. Anyway, what's a good price for a neck? Any place aside from Warmoth that offer quality necks at a cheap price?
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by kylec922
Okay, I'm looking at Warmoth and necks off Ebay right now....eBay makes me skeptical, so IDK.
There's an American Standard maple neck right now with roller trees already on it for 200$. I'd rather buy a "Fender" neck with the stamp on the headstock, and not just one with a plain piece of wood...hence Warmoth. I know that's stupid to some, but just my preference.

If I do another one, I'll probably go for a Warmoth or something. Anyway, what's a good price for a neck? Any place aside from Warmoth that offer quality necks at a cheap price?

You definitely should not be cheap on your neck, that's one of the BIG parts when it comes to sound and intonation . i believe warmoth has nice ones, no experience with them though
Quote by Woozye
You definitely should not be cheap on your neck, that's one of the BIG parts when it comes to sound and intonation . i believe warmoth has nice ones, no experience with them though

No I agree, I def. want maple.....but the thing is.....if the same quality maple necks could be had at cheaper prices.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by kylec922
No I agree, I def. want maple.....but the thing is.....if the same quality maple necks could be had at cheaper prices.

Just if they guy who is selling does not know about it or just wants to get rid of it

I suggest Warmoth, didn't let me down and my Squier plays dreamier. I just got the Variax style headstock and maple/ebony fretboard and it is just SEXY!~

I need to start taking pics and making sound clips of my gear soon

Quote by Line6
Just if they guy who is selling does not know about it or just wants to get rid of it

I suggest Warmoth, didn't let me down and my Squier plays dreamier. I just got the Variax style headstock and maple/ebony fretboard and it is just SEXY!~

I need to start taking pics and making sound clips of my gear soon

My only problem with Warmoth, and yes this is stupid....is that they have blank headstocks. I kind of have a preference of a factory fender neck right now. I don't want to tell a difference myself, and I don't want others to know a difference, so I can be like hey...that USE to be a Squire...hell the bodies are the same, so why not?
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Okay and one last question for today....is the actual pickup selector and the wiring different at all from a Squire to a Fender? Do they use the same metals in their wiring?

I'm sure the pickups are cheaper, I'm not sure about the wiring and the selector though. Thanks guys.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
The pots, caps, and switches are lower quality... IIRC, Fender still uses CTS pots, Sprague orange drop caps, and switchcraft switches and jacks. Also, that looks like Agathis to me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I too am planning on modding my Squire. If you have an Affinity Series I don't see why its a bad idea. Assuming you'll spending up to $500 on modding its a good investment to just add bits on when you have enough money, rather than buy it all out at once because you might as well buy a good medium price guitar for that much.
Quote by Borsworth
I too am planning on modding my Squire. If you have an Affinity Series I don't see why its a bad idea. Assuming you'll spending up to $500 on modding its a good investment to just add bits on when you have enough money, rather than buy it all out at once because you might as well buy a good medium price guitar for that much.

That would only get you a Fender standard Strat, which quite frankly I don't care for them enough to warrant buying one over a modded Squire which will turn out alot nicer for a cheaper price.
Anyway, it is an Affinity series...you say it looks like agathis? ugh. lol How can I be sure? T.I.A.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Just remember that the affinity series are thinner than "regular" strats and a new neck and bridge will not necessarily fit.
Actually they are the same at the base, they thinner by the nut (Which obviously sucks more than hell itself =.= Btw, bullets are even thinner hehe) So if your not sure just measure it before ordering.

You can buy from Warmoth and do some decals on it (Best option i think) And making it look like a MIA wont make it sound like it =[ I know it by experience, a cheap guitar will never sound like a 1,000+ fender or anything else, but, as long as your happy with it, that's all that matters hehe.

Quote by kylec922
Long story short, started taking apart my Squier 'Strat to upgrade it.

I'm curious as to what kind of wood the body is made of. According to the neck it was manufactured in December of 2004, I've searched with no luck. I'm thinking Alder? I'm not too familiar with wood related to appearance.

Some help would be appreciated, I plan on putting a genuine Fender Maple neck on it, new internals, bridge, tuners, repainting etc.,

Summary: Need to know wood of December 2004 Squier Affinity series guitar body. Says it was manufactured in Indonesia. s/n: ic041251932

Fixed.
this also makes me want to modify my squier bullet strat, its my brothers(the one who doesn't play), and even though he doesn't even play guitar, he would never let me mod it.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^

The body is done being sanded, next is paint/dye haven't quite decided. Most likely will be painting.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by Line6
Actually they are the same at the base, they thinner by the nut (Which obviously sucks more than hell itself =.= Btw, bullets are even thinner hehe) So if your not sure just measure it before ordering.

You can buy from Warmoth and do some decals on it (Best option i think) And making it look like a MIA wont make it sound like it =[ I know it by experience, a cheap guitar will never sound like a 1,000+ fender or anything else, but, as long as your happy with it, that's all that matters hehe.

My goal is definitely function over form, but I want the form to be there also. I really don't see why it won't sound or play like a high end Fender with a little time and patience personally.

I've found a Stratocaster maple neck on eBay with the fixed trees for 179, no tuners. I also found a 2006 Anniversary Fender maple neck with tuners, and the trees for 270. Not bad buys, not great. I'm more prone to the American 2006 neck as of now as it comes with the stock tuner setup.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by Line6

I was referring to the body thickness, not the neck. Here is a link I found quickly on a Fender Forum. They know their stuff. you can not just swap any neck onto an affinity.

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=691115
Quote by Grown
I was referring to the body thickness, not the neck. Here is a link I found quickly on a Fender Forum. They know their stuff. you can not just swap any neck onto an affinity.

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=691115

Oh thanks man I didn't even think about a Fender forum. Doh!
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by kylec922
Oh thanks man I didn't even think about a Fender forum. Doh!

No Prob I just don't want you to do all that work on the body only to find out that the parts you bought are not going to fit. Just do a little homework.

Good luck!
Quote by Grown
No Prob I just don't want you to do all that work on the body only to find out that the parts you bought are not going to fit. Just do a little homework.

Good luck!

What needs to be measued? Just the width and height of the base where the neck and body meet, or is there more I'm missing here...
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..