Page 1 of 2
so basiclly i cant tell you anything about theory.
honestly if someone asked me to tell what what string on the guitar (i play guitar obviously hah) goes with what note... example : E,D,B...ect

but i love to play.
i play everyday
and i write songs.
i think they sound awsome.
ive tried to sit down many times and try to learn scales and understand theory.
but its just so boring and tedious.
i also understand it will prolly help me improve my playing and understanding.
but i would rather just play all day and come up with riffs and such on my own.

heres some songs i wrote.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/speedmetalcore/

does it sound like i know what im doing?
or does it sound like a guy playing whatever.

im happy either way i have just alsways wondered if i understood more than i think i do. just from learning it on my own.

and feedback is appreciated.
also any helpful and simple theory explanations are welcome also.
Well your songs sound pretty awesome. I couldn't really tell you don't know theory.
It may help you when it comes to soloing though. Your riffs are pretty good, but maybe thats because you have time to sit and work out if they sound right or not.

In a jam situation do you think you'd be ok?
Are You Shpongled..?
It sounds like you know what you're doing, SOMETIMES learning theory limits you if you become strict on following the rules of staying the one key.
Learn the notes on the fretboard if you haven't, learn the intervals of the major and minor scale, understand arpeggios.
From experience, the following will prepare you for a band, Iraqi hardcore or something
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
sounds like you know what you're doing, but if you learn some scales and the notes on the fretboard, solos would be easier and quicker to do. Can you jam well with other players?
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Guitar_tischler
Just one thing to say. Slash still doesnt know any theory :P

He knows the pentatonic major and minor scale and he also understand modes, + more.
That's knowing theory.. I guess.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
well ya i havent really ever jammed with anyone else before. but those songs i have up ive made them all in the past 2 weeks. and i feel like ive learned soo much just writing riffs and then writeing other riffs to go with them.

but as far as soloing goes. i feel like i dont even know where or how to begin
Quote by speedmetalcore
well ya i havent really ever jammed with anyone else before. but those songs i have up ive made them all in the past 2 weeks. and i feel like ive learned soo much just writing riffs and then writeing other riffs to go with them.

but as far as soloing goes. i feel like i dont even know where or how to begin

Sometimes learning scales and stuff restricts your playing style, even if you don't intend it to. What i mean is that you'll start only playing on the scales you've learnt, instead of making it up like you are doing now.
If i were you, i'd learn some of the simple pentatonic positions, but keep writing songs and making it up yourself as well, so as to keep your own style.
Well, there you go.

Learning theory will help you will soloing, but as far as the songs you've written, they all sound pretty damn impressive - I couldn't tell you didn't know theory.

Theory isn't a necessity for some people. Slash knows only a little bit of theory, Jimi Hendrix didn't bother learning any either.

Theory or not, you've clearly got talent for writing professional sounding riffs.. and if you want to right some sweet solos worthy of those songs, scales would probably help.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
hm appreicate all your input everyone!

would anyone know where to start or what to start learning?
I think pentatonics are good place to start, and learning the basics of key signatures.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by speedmetalcore
hm appreicate all your input everyone!

would anyone know where to start or what to start learning?
First we must know, why do you play guitar? What goals (musically) do you have? What do you mostly do musically?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Key signatures and pentatonics are very easy. Just knowing what notes are in a key. The pentatonic scale is maybe the easiest thing you will ever learn, and possibly the most useful when soloing. It usually sounds good, and doesn't require much thought. If you've just run out of ideas, then play pentatonic stuff. That's what Kirk Hammett does, and look at where he is.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
as far as my goals.... well i will be in a band when i get out of the army. and we will be awsome.

and i will look up those pantonic scales.
and key signatures
SOMETIMES learning theory limits you if you become strict on following the rules of staying the one key.

There is no such rule, and you don't seem to understand what theory is.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^Theory is just descriptive. But conventions like counterpoint have rules. But whatever, he's still wrong because counterpoint actually works.
Quote by Guitar_tischler

Slash didn't write any of the songs (just the solos), Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose did. Regardless, who cares?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
^Theory is just descriptive. But conventions like counterpoint have rules. But whatever, he's still wrong because counterpoint actually works.

Slash didn't write any of the songs (just the solos), Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose did. Regardless, who cares?

Counterpoint does not have rules. Certain periods and genres have conventions regarding counterpoint.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by FFTLxx
learning theory NEVER limits you

fixed

also after listening to your 3 recordings, although they sound good i would like to point out that i found them all to be incredibly similar in sound. learning theory could definitely help add more to them.

btw, i noticed yer in the army. thanks for keeping our asses safe man, you guys don't hear it enough
Last edited by z4twenny at Jan 2, 2009,
What really got me into learning theory was me wanting to find out why something I play sounds so awesome ( to me anyway ).
Well, I'm learning some more basic theory right now, and it's really helped my playing style! I used to be a more rhythm guitar-oriented person, but after learning some theory, I now spend most of my time improving solos over my own chord progressions. Theory helps alot, but it's hard to really buckle down and start learning.

What helped me was to look at my favorite solos, and figure what modes are being used, and where the guitarist switches between them. It gave the the inspiration and knowledge to continue.
Quote by Guitar_tischler

Just one thing to say

Slash can only play one style, and somewhat poorly at that
When you understand theory as a SET OF RULES, it limits you. And many people do that mistake. And speedmetalcore, I would explain to you what mode is, but if you don't know any theory it would just confuse you.
First learn intervals, scales and how chords are constructed. It may take you some time, but it's worth it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by speedmetalcore
hmmm wats a mode?

Nothing you need to be worrying about yet.
Quote by z4twenny
fixed

also after listening to your 3 recordings, although they sound good i would like to point out that i found them all to be incredibly similar in sound. learning theory could definitely help add more to them.

btw, i noticed yer in the army. thanks for keeping our asses safe man, you guys don't hear it enough

That was my immediate reaction too, they are really similar to be honest - but cool nonetheless.

In response to your original question, I don't think it sounds like you know a lot of theory. But don't feel bad about that, it's not always easy to make music that gives that impression. You probably know more than you realise about scales and intervals.

As boring as you might find it, it's so worth putting the effort in to memorise certain aspects. Theory can really open up new ideas and concepts you haven't thought of before.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Dude the intro to 17hd is sick... Has a nice Bullet for my Valentine sound. Nice squealies too!

Anyways just wanted to say you definitely have talent and you will be that much better if you learn theory. (I'm the same way right now, just starting to get theory...)

Good luck

~Ex
There are very few people in this thread who know what they're talking about.

"Slash doesn't know theory."

This argument is completely irrelevant. No matter how many famous names you quote, it doesn't matter. Theory NEVER limits you as a musician. If you find music theory to be limiting, you either don't know enough of it, or are viewing it the wrong way. If you were to ask the great classical composers if they found theory to be limiting, they'dalmost all respond that without theory they'd be nowhere. Most Mozart, Bach and Strauss pieces are perfect examples of all levels of music theory from basic dominant harmonies to the use of chromaticism to allow the use of different chords (or in watered down terms, "borrowing.") Most 20th century Jazz composers would be the same. I think that anyone who makes excuses not to learn theory is just lazy and ultimately not dedicated enough.

To the TS, good decision to start learning. MT are here to help
EDIT: I listened to some of the music on your profile and I didn't really like it. That kind of music just doesn't work for me...as that is the case I don't really think it'd be fair for me to comment on your skills etc.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Last edited by yM.Samurai at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by yingyangthang
Just one thing to say

Slash can only play one style, and somewhat poorly at that

He plays great hard rock solos on Appetite, he plays nice flamenco stuff on Use your Illusion and he has played blues with people like Ray Charles and Ray even preferred his out of 2 or 3 other takes by other musicians.

You inform yourself before you be so ignorant again.
ah well then the conclusion ive come to is what i firgured.....
i need to buckle down and learn some theory.
but not live by it.

which sounds doable
Nobody "lives" by theory. It's not a set of rules, it's a set of principles.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
^Foreal.

If you don't wanna learn "all" of theory, just learn the basics, and if you feel like going from there, do it.

Learning diatonic triads and such will make songwriting a lot easier and will eliminate guesswork when it comes to creating simple chord progressions.
That's how I started out, but then I realized how much fun it was so I kept going
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
i just remembered y i havent learned theory. hah everytime i look up a lesson its pre-requities are always like "be familiar with notes already and how to read music"
****!!!!
Quote by speedmetalcore
i just remembered y i havent learned theory. hah everytime i look up a lesson its pre-requities are always like "be familiar with notes already and how to read music"
****!!!!
You said in your first post that you already know that?

Just google a couple of topics you think you need to learn.

To start with I'd recommend this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I think your riffs sound pretty awesome, but i think a whole new world will open up for you if you take an hour to read and understand these two articles on the website:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_1_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_theory.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_2_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_practice.html

It may be boring, but life isnt always about roses. The articles will explain about how to create scales and which notes sound good with eachother. So basicly if you have a small riff of powerchords, this will help you how to make scales for it and create solo's and fills easily.

It helped me alot!
and i just checked out the crusade u gave me. and i think im just gunna have to find an actual teacher cuz that stuff is ridiculoius
Page 1 of 2