Hi, I was reading ZeGuitarists excellent theory columns and came across the major and minor scales all over the fretboard, for example the ionian position, phygrian position etc. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_2_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_practice.html

Question is, what fingerings do you actually use? Also, do you play all the notes in the pattern regardless of whether your using it for major or minor?
Thanks
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
Hi, I was reading ZeGuitarists excellent theory columns and came across the major and minor scales all over the fretboard, for example the ionian position, phygrian position etc. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_2_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_practice.html

Question is, what fingerings do you actually use? Also, do you play all the notes in the pattern regardless of whether your using it for major or minor?
Thanks

That's just it, you don't "play" those patterns. The diagram simply shows you all the occurences of the notes of a particular scale, it's up to you to decide how you use them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
That's just it, you don't "play" those patterns. The diagram simply shows you all the occurences of the notes of a particular scale, it's up to you to decide how you use them.

What he says.

The diagrams show the notes that are available in that particular position, for you to play around with and do as you please. There's nothing you "have to" do, other than watch out not to play "wrong" notes (notes that aren't in the pattern!)

Also, please remember that the 7 positions I gave you are just a means of memorizing the pattern of notes ALL OVER the fretboard... Don't focus too much on trying to learn every single position, but try to see it all as a whole! That will become essential in the Advanced chapters...

Cheers!