Low volumes sound, possibility to go from clean to metal, build quality, if it sounds ok with one 12'' speaker only, how well it takes pedals, clean sounds quality..?

Thanks guys!
Good for the price, but the sound gets old really quick.
Built very good. Better than the Marshall DSL my friend's got.
Assuming the GH50L and the GH100L are different only by virtue of clean headroom,
Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth uses the 100L and thru a Boss Processor, gets some really nice sounds out of it.

I have the GH100L and VC50. Similar voicing with minor differences.

At low volumes- From my experience Laneys, like Engls sound very good at low volumes. They will of course sound better cranked but they still sound very good at bedroom volumes (at least mine do)

Possibility to go from Clean to Metal- Without an EQ pedal this is not possible, with the GH50L you have 1 channel and a boost, for the boost to make a substantial difference you have to have the drive/gain at significant levels which alters the clean sound when the boost is off. When you step off the boost the sound does clean up but it doesn't clean up completely.

To eradicate this problem look into this

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/signature.html

Detox EQ

From Paul

THE IDEA: is to have your amp set to a distorted rock sound, and use the DETOX EQ to give you a foot-switchable CLEAN sound.

WHY USE A PEDAL?
For years, I have used my guitar’s volume control to “clean up” my sound, by just turning it down. The problem is that some guitars get muddy or harsh when you turn them down. The DETOX EQ allows you to clean up your sound, but also add a “sparkle” or any other EQ adjustments that your specific guitar requires. I also prefer using the DETOX EQ for my clean tone, rather than using a channel-switching amp. Single-channel amps always feel more natural to me. The DETOX EQ allows me to keep things simple, and retain the character of my favorite amp.

Build Quality- The amp is built well and weighs a lot, not much more i can say..

How well it takes pedals- It has an FX loop, but i run a few pedals through the input and it sounds great (MXR Phase 90 / Vox v847A ) However my Holy grail reverb sounded atrocious unless it was ran through the FX loop.

All in all Laneys are a love/hate thing. The tone they produce is very raw, in your face and unique.

I wasn't satisfied with mine until i tried it through a Orange 2x12, now i love it.

As previously mentioned Opeth use them as well as these artists (past and present)

Ali Dean

Dave Uhrich

Jan Cyrka

Matt Pike

Mattias 'IA' Eklundh

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)

Misery

Paul Gilbert

Sean Moody

Teddy Rondinelli

Steve Durose

Rafal Konikowski

Quick sound clips-

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=gh100l (click on what does it sound like)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tCD3FiSj8U8&feature=channel

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqOL9laGDk
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jan 2, 2009,
I am really not interested in what artists use it... If I ever sound like someone else I'll consider it a failure, be it Opeth, Clapton or anyone else. I want to sound like me. But that's not the issue at hand.

As for the EQ pedal, I'll have a TIM which fulfills the same function... I also don't mind sharing the EQ between cleans and heavy sounds. I have 2 Laneys already and if I do get this one it'd be my 4th Used to their sounds hehe...
So it's only a switchable boost eh... I thought it was the actual gain that you could switch in, like on the LC15... shame... but I'm used to cleaning up from the guitar's volume pot and they go for cheap second hand so why not. I'm still considering it. Thanks!
I wasn't telling you what artists use it so you can replicate their tone, it was too give you an idea of the amps capabilities

What other Laneys do you have?

Yes, its just a foot switchable boost, not 2 separate channels, the VC50 on the other hand has 4 different channels which are all switchable, Its sounds similar to the GH50L and can be found on the bay every so often.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Not from my experience, I wonder if my Orange 2x12 has anything to do with that? I wasn't fond of the tone i got from Laney cabs. I usually have mine at about 1/10 and 3/10 when the house is empty. Of course it sounds better at 3 but that's not to say it sounds dreadful to my ears at 1.

This is at the volume of 1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tCD3FiSj8U8
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I have right now an AOR30, a TT50 combo, and I used to have a VC15. The TT50 is being sold though. But I may have a small budget for a head. It was either that Les Paul of that Orange Rocker 30... I chose the LP But the AOR30 isn't really for me, that being the problem. I could probably trade it for a VC30 somewhere...But I really wanted a head + cab setup so I could bring it to gigs or move it around once I move out of here (done with uni, hopefully, by the end of the year so I may move around a lot soon enough)

I know what you mean sharpant, but I usually just don't trust soundclips :P It just always sounds different, the main difference there being that those artists use bigger cabs. I'll use the speaker in my AOR until/if I get a cab. It'd change things quite a lot.
Agree completely cabs make a huge difference, love my orange one. I haven't played on any of these but they are also highly regarded for metal/ lead tones

Mesa
Diezel
Vader

2x12's have more low end right?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Not from my experience, I wonder if my Orange 2x12 has anything to do with that? I wasn't fond of the tone i got from Laney cabs. I usually have mine at about 1/10 and 3/10 when the house is empty. Of course it sounds better at 3 but that's not to say it sounds dreadful to my ears at 1.

This is at the volume of 1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tCD3FiSj8U8

I don't have a laney cab, some old 2x12 with V30's in, which is fairly similar to the Orange one in weight and size.
I won't have an actual cab for it. The speaker on my AOR has its own cable (so I can unplug it and use the amp as a head when needed) so I'd use this. It's an Eminence Cannabix Rex.
Ok... well apparently the GH50L seems like my best choice out of the:

Lionhearth 20H
Orange Rocker 30

I could get my clean + light gain, and since I'm also in a punk band I could gig with it as a gain machine too, with solo boost. Sounds exactly like what I need! And I can afford it AND keep the AOR for home use... Great! Now to find a second hand one for cheap enough...
I love mine to death. I'm playing through a crap cab, and I still love how it sounds.
I'm looking into getting an Orange 2x12 or an Avatar or something nice like that, but yeah man, I recommend it. Beautiful amp. The lack of channel changing and reverb is a bit annoying, but it doesn't really bother me. You can go clean > hard rock with the boost (turn the gain to 2 or 3, drive to max), but not metal.
Without the option of going clean though, this amp kills when it comes to metal. Brutal as all hell.
But she cleans up great, and does a fantastic southern rock sound (which matters to me, so shush now).

But yeah. Try one.
Member of the Laney Cult