What kind of places are good for bands to take their picture in? What should the picture be like?
Thanks!
What type of band are you in, does your band have any gimmicks, always wear certain types of clothes etc?
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Industrial zones are good for metal bands.

It really depends on your genre and the feel of your music, as you want your promo pics to reflect the mood of your music.

Its also a good idea to avoid cliches, as doing the same style of promos as everyone else will mean you dont stand out.

Example -

Meshuggah subverting the traditional "pissed off metal band" look, by being gratuitously over the top.
I find that gig pictures work just as well as any, as they can avoid you looking cliched.

PLEASE don't take it infront of a brick wall. That's all I advise.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Ha! That's exactly the site I was trying to think of when I started reading this thread. Nicely played!

Unfortunately, after going through that, the TS will have even LESS an idea of what to do than they do now.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Get someone to take a pic after you've finished a set at a gig, when you all come out and do that group bow that stage actors are so fond of.
It's an art more than a science. Exhibit A: my band 'Asparagus Now';

Here's my 'let's take the piss' attempt:

A bit better, edited from a tour photo:

Ultimate win:

Quote by Kurapica
I find that gig pictures work just as well as any, as they can avoid you looking cliched.

PLEASE don't take it infront of a brick wall. That's all I advise.

Sometimes it looks good, but most times it looks really cheesy. SCRAP (www.myspace.com/scrapmusic) did it infront of a brick wall with graffiti on it and it looks cool. It's on their myspace. And for their individual pictures they all stood on a shopping cart differently. Another band, New Art Night, did the same thing except with a big black chair.

I suggest looking at lots of band myspaces.

EDIT: LOL that site is hilarious! Railroad tracks: The other brick wall
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Last edited by xEpidemicx at Jan 3, 2009,
Another one, if you're going to use a famous pose done by another band (ex. The Beatles Abby Road Walk), but a twist on it. Using that example, my band is thinking of doing that except the person second from the front is turned around sacking the second to last member.

The Simpsons did something like that. On the epidsode where homer has a barbershop quartet, Bart says, "What did you do, screw up and say that you're bigger than Jesus?" and Homer says, "All the time, it was the name of our second album" and he holds up an album of them doing the Abby Road walk on water.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
you could go with the route i took and bring out lawn chairs into a street divider and put on a foam finger and cheer at the cars
really, i think being unique is the main thing
for example. this local band was going to take them in mcdonalds eating their favorite meals
and the black guitarist was supposed to eat a chicken sandwich :P

they didnt do it though
it all depends on the msuic you play
eg a black metal band would possible go to a church, wear corpsepaint and all that jazz but a power metal band would go to a field of sorts with swords and all the power metal oriented swag they could get their hands on. it needs to reflect the musical style
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
Where and how to take them depends on your style but you need to reflect the overall mood of the band in your pictures. If your a generally upbeat band then you shouldn't take too many pictures with everyone sad or down, you should take stuff with people smiling and happy and acting goofy. Also, if possible use a digital camera to take them. Most of those photos on Rock and Roll Confidential would look better if someone hadn't just scanned a physical image. Another thing about that, make sure everyone is looking at the camera when the picture is taken and dress like you actually put some thought into taking pictures.
Quote by Josh Shiells
Avoid parking lots, and wearing other bands' shirts.

Wrong, well the band shirts part. Just about every band in my area has professional photos (some by a brick wall) where a majority of the members are wearing other bands shirts. It doesn't matter what you wear.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
just about every picture we've taken has had something to do with water i.e on a dock on the lake or in a boat. but we do have some that we took in a old antebellum home that my friend owns they were pretty bad ass although come to think of it the lake was in the background in one of those pics.

our band is called highway 65 so naturally we do have some pics on the actual highway 65. my individual pick was me leaning against the hwy. 65 sign looking down with a cig in my mouth it turned out pretty good actually even as cliche and cheesy as it sounds. i would post them but i dont have any on my computer here. they are all on my desktop 3 hours aways
These were from my bands photoshot 4-5 years ago.

Queen, NY!!!

Just avoid giving an image you are not. Go dressed just like you would dress to play one of your show. i hate the "leader"in the front pictures (specially when ALL of them are like that)

EDIT: Sorry about the size!
Quote by shadesofanger
Just about every band in my area has professional photos (some by a brick wall) where a majority of the members are wearing other bands shirts.

... which is why this sort of thing has quickly become very cliche, which is why you should try to find something else...

Secondly... and this is something that is all too easy to lose sight of... all those bands in your area are NOT your competition. Foo Fighters and Offspring and the like are your competition. You're not competing to be the best band in your area. You're competing with all the major industry bands for the consumer's time and money. Are they going to go see your show, or are they going to go to the Franz Ferdinand show? Are they buying your disk or are they buying the Nickelback disk? Are they going to spend their time going to your gig, or are they going to spend it watching CSI?

That is your perspective.

Don't look at what your homeboys do. Look for inspiration from the latest promo pics from the biggest stars. You can pretty much bet that most of them are avoiding parking lots, bridges, brick walls, chain link fences, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.