This may be a silly question but i'm new to guitar. My guitar (BC Rich Warbeast) has stock strings on it right now and i've been thinking about putting Dunlop 10 gauge strings on it. Do you really notice a difference with strings in terms of sound?
Dunno, I don't know what stock strings it's strung with, but strings won't really affect your tone unless you make a huge gauge switch, and even then, it's pretty negligible.
depends how long you used the stock ones, i used my stock ones for a year(was too lazy to put new ones on), then a few days ago i put new ones on, tone is better and it plays better too.
You left stock strings on for an entire YEAR?

No wonder you noticed the difference after changing 'em
I'll presume the stocks are gauge 9, so switching to 10 wouldn't have much difference. But you would only really change to 10 if you play a lot of drop D and maybe C.
yea its my first guitar and it would have been my first time replacing strings and i just kept pushing it forward, and then a few days ago i was just like ''it has to happen sometime'', i bought a new set, asked my friend to come over(he playes guitar longer then me and he knew the how to's) to help me and then we replaced strings.
Certainly going to do it more now its easy and plays great haha
Quote by Bonorly
I'll presume the stocks are gauge 9, so switching to 10 wouldn't have much difference. But you would only really change to 10 if you play a lot of drop D and maybe C.

:/

You would change to 10 if you feel more comfortable with thicker gauge strings. Doesn't mean you now need to drop tune.
I have been using stock strings on my newest guitar for over a year now and it still sounds amazing. On my other two guitars the stock strings either broke right away or were just HORRIBLE. It really depends on the guitar and what not. If you think you need new strings I would recommend GHS Boomers, there reallllly crunchy.
going up from 9's to 10's made an amazing difference in tone when i did it on my strat. don't know about your guitar, but if it has a floating bridge then the extra tension means that you will probably have to do some bridge adjustments to get the action back to normal.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i noticed my strings are 9-42, but I just figured a good brand of strings would be to play on ah well i'll use this as a experience on learning how to change strings. Thanks to everyone for your swift replies and the strings I got are 10-46
Last edited by SpawnSC at Jan 2, 2009,