Poll: Is it a good buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it a good buy?
yes
8 80%
no
2 20%
Voters: 10.
This is for a 1974 Fender Twin Reverb. He's asking for 450$ or best offer. Is it a good buy despite issues? I know someone who used to fix amps and my grandpa was an electrician and handyman so they have some experience dealing with this kind of stuff. And what would you offer him?

Issues: Its been blowing fuses, I am not entirely sure why, but have not really looked into it yet either. Someone told me it might just be the power tubes, which are old. It has one replaced speaker, but I put an original speaker in, so yes, its been replaced, but its a stock speaker. It is missing the master volume push pull knob, and there is no footswitch. There are small cosmetic issues as it was a working amp for a long time before I got tired of lugging it around (its heavy enough, thats for sure) and the reverb tank connection is a little loose, it wiggles free once in a while, especially after moving the amp.

I would probably have to crate it to ship it safely, I have not really looked into that either, but I have received a similar item and the shipping was not horrible. I will look into this.

Thanks
If the Silverface Twin sound (what I suspect the '74 is) is what you're looking for, I'd personally take that amp and run like hell. Even with the minor issues with the blown fuses/power tubes, $450 is a solid price compared to what you'd pay for a reissue brand new. Most of what you have to do seems like minor tune-up repairs that I would be comfortable doing without much electrician experience. Power tube replacement is simple, and the loose reverb tank sounds like a jack just needs to be tightened down with a wrench. I'd be careful about the blown fuses though. The biggest issue is the cosmetics, so if you can handle that, it's probably a good deal.
Quote by mikewaz
If the Silverface Twin sound (what I suspect the '74 is) is what you're looking for, I'd personally take that amp and run like hell. Even with the minor issues with the blown fuses/power tubes, $450 is a solid price compared to what you'd pay for a reissue brand new. Most of what you have to do seems like minor tune-up repairs that I would be comfortable doing without much electrician experience. Power tube replacement is simple, and the loose reverb tank sounds like a jack just needs to be tightened down with a wrench. I'd be careful about the blown fuses though. The biggest issue is the cosmetics, so if you can handle that, it's probably a good deal.

Yeah, i'm gonna be getting some pics from him soon. Cosmetics really aren't too much of an issue for me.
i say dont do it only because you an get a silver face fender twin reverb for the same price and in better condition

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i say dont do it only because you an get a silver face fender twin reverb for the same price and in better condition

Where?

TS, do it. Blackface's are nicer IMO, but a Twin Reverb is a Twin Reverb nonetheless. Those problems are all easily fixed. For the fuse thing all you need to do is get new power tubes/re-bias them. Take it to a tech and he'll have it running like new for relatively cheap.

$450 is a great price. Is that including shipping?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
He's getting back to me on shipping.

I've been advised to offer him 250-400 for it since it is a non-working amp. Someone on another forums aksed that if it is such an easy fix as tubes why he hasn't done it himself.

I haven't seen any twins below 700 bucks regardless of condition besides this one. I don't know where you found those cheap working twins.

I've heard that the silverfaces have less of an "edgy" sound. Anyone care to elaborate?