So my tubescreamer boosted classic 30 gives me a great saturated metal sound, but it is a bit noisy and a tad fizzy. There's hum when i'm not playing anything and single string licks sound a bit noisy while chords are a tad fizzy.

So which would be a better investment, a noise surpressor, (which I'm hoping will cut out some excess noise when I play), or a mxr ten band EQ to help tighten up the sound and get more tonal options. My main focus is to get rid of the noise and fizz when I play. I mean it's not that bad, but I'd like it better if it wasn't there.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
don't get the boss NS-2, it blows nuns.

MXR is very nice! But so is the ISP decimator for noise. Your call dude
WTLTL 2011
A nose gate will get rid of the hum when you aren't playing anything. It's not going to do much when you are playing. If you want to get rid of the fizz, try turning down the gain a bit. Oh, you should get the isp decimator its alot better than the boss noise gate.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by Mark G

+a million

I have the MXR and the ISP. Both are well worth the money.
i have the ns2, and love it. i also have the mxr 10band, and its also very good. i need them equal amounts, as theyre the only things in my setup that are never off - ever...

a mate of mine uses far too much gain on his amp, and says that his ns2 doesnt work because of that. it works amazing if you dont get all of your disortion on your amp. i cant stress how much i disagree with the people above who dont like them - of course youre allowed your opinions, im sure theyre justified - but im afraid i have to differ, i love mine.
Quote by liam177lewis
i have the ns2, and love it. i also have the mxr 10band, and its also very good. i need them equal amounts, as theyre the only things in my setup that are never off - ever...

a mate of mine uses far too much gain on his amp, and says that his ns2 doesnt work because of that. it works amazing if you dont get all of your disortion on your amp. i cant stress how much i disagree with the people above who dont like them - of course youre allowed your opinions, im sure theyre justified - but im afraid i have to differ, i love mine.

at least you put reasons why to disagree

better than the "NO WAY MAN MY SPIDER/MG SOUNDS AMAZING **** YOU"
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
If I had to choose between my Isp Decimator or my MXR 10 band. I would pick the ISP in a heartbeat... I can deal with an onboard eq a hell of alot easier then I can deal with hum, feedback and noise issues..
Quote by liam177lewis

So does that mean if you don't set your gain knob to ten or if you use other pedals to help get more distortion it will work good because I have my peaveys OD channel set to 3 o'clock and then it's boosted with my ts9dx that has level a 3 o'clock and drive at 12 o'clock. Would the ns-2 work well.

Of course I still have to try out the ns-2 and the isp, but I'd like to get some opinions first, and on the mxr. Keep em coming!
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
turn your gain down a bit first off. You should also be mainly using the tubescreamer's volume knob and a little bit of overdrive for metal to it more just boosts your signal and keeps your sound tight, that'll help some if it not what your doing. Also use your volume knobs on your guitar to bring that down. I have the EQ and a Fulldrive 2 overdrive and I crank the volume knob on the OD and add only a bit of overdrive to give it a bit more kick then i add more gain on the EQ and lower the volume on it a bit while playing with my guitar's volume knob. When your boosting its all about finding which volumes to boost and which volumes to turn down a little bit to make a clear but distorted signal.

To answer your question though, I think the 10 band is very useful in a lot of different ways, you can really get a lot of sounds out of your amp just by changing the many different bands/volume/gain. It helped my sound a lot, theres still a bit of hum while I'm not playing a tad when i am, I'll probably get a noise gate down the line but for now, the EQ does a good enough job of cleaning up my sound.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Mark G

this

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock