I building a EVH Frankenstrat, and I have all the parts ordered but the neck. The locking nut that I ordered is a bottom mount version. I'm going to practice on the neck that came off the guitar first to make sure I don't f*ck it up on the new neck. So my question is...where do I start I'm planning on buying a standard maple strat neck, and routing the area down for the nut. Then drill the holes for the bolts for the nut to come through the neck. Anything pointers? Or things to avoid? This is my first project so I have 0 experience in this area. Thanks in advance!
Routing the locknut platform sounds like a good idea BUT!!!! I would not shave any more than a couple of millimetres at a time as your dealing with a very thin platform of wood to work from, chipping large chunks of wood from the area would be very easy to do.
I suggest doing it by hand and not rushing it. Way up your options there may even be enough headstock surface to mount the locknut after the existing nut (if already fitted with a nut). Be careful and take your time measaure and when you think your sure, measure it again.... good luck.
94 Epi LP. Thin 335 style neck Schaller locking tuners Dimarzio PAF PRO (bridge) Gibson 57 re-issue (neck)
Quote by Nev75
Routing the locknut platform sounds like a good idea BUT!!!! I would not shave any more than a couple of millimetres at a time as your dealing with a very thin platform of wood to work from, chipping large chunks of wood from the area would be very easy to do.
I suggest doing it by hand and not rushing it. Way up your options there may even be enough headstock surface to mount the locknut after the existing nut (if already fitted with a nut). Be careful and take your time measaure and when you think your sure, measure it again.... good luck.

Planned on taking my sweet ass time doing this...and measuring twice, cutting once
Hi, I am also planing to put a locking nut on my cheap strat. But I can't figure it out, how deep must be the cut in the fretboard.
(Invalid img)
Here are the dimensions of the locking nut.
(Invalid img)
Could somebody help me? Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
QwErTy.JPG
Deatailboth (1).jpg
I just mesured my kramer neck for you and the locking nut is 3.07mm (0.121'') deep on the outside of the neck. But remeber, the rout will be diffrent depths across the fret board because of the radius. You need to mesure for yourself how high your nut must be with the hight of the first fret and stuff. Just mesuring down to the 3.07mm and cuting might not get you the right depth for your guitar. The action at the nut end could be off if you do this. And to the OP, I sugest not putting the locking nut after the origanl nut. I have only ever heard of two people saying this is a good idea and a hole load saying its bad. The point of the locking design is to stop friction of the strings through places like the nut. If the strings are still moving through the origanl nut the guitar will go out of tune. Not as much as a non-locking guitar but it won't be as good. Plus EVH guitar isn't like that haha. I can't think of any other tips at the moment but if I do I will tell you.
Thank you for your help, it seems like I must cut the fretboard as for the original nut, In my case the new nut can't cause any problems, in fact it's really necessary, because I have an Apollo Stratocaster, it's an cheap Chinese guitar and the original nut is in wrong place. when the tuning on the nut is correct, in 12. fret the tuning was to high. I had a choice, move all the frets in there right places, or simply put the nut a bit closer to the first fret. And I was wondering da_, is your kramer's nut 8,6mm thick? if that is not in the same size I'am afraid that 3,07mm wont be enough.