My computer is ****ed.

I try to start it up and it gets to the black loading screen, it will then load for about 10 seconds, make a Vrooom sound and restart, it will continue to do this until I shut it off.

Right now I'm in safe mode, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the hardware or anything.

What is wrong with my computer?
I've tried googling it, but come up with dozens of possibilities which are about 6 years old, I'm wondering if any of you could know what specifically is wrong.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
does it get as far as the windows loading page?

if so, it is probably a corrupt install of windows, or a corrupt hardware driver. Try re-installing as many drivers as you can while in safe mode, otherwise, you may have to reinstall windows (I assume you are using a PC?).
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
i had the same problem not too long ago, and it was a short on a usb port. had to get a guy to come fix it.
Quote by jgbsmith
does it get as far as the windows loading page?

if so, it is probably a corrupt install of windows, or a corrupt hardware driver. Try re-installing as many drivers as you can while in safe mode, otherwise, you may have to reinstall windows (I assume you are using a PC?).

Yea, and XP.

It gets to the windows loading page, then restarts.
And sorry but how would I go about re installing the drivers? Or can you give me a link to somewhere to find out..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

just put the restore cds in and start over...unless you have like 100s things saved in the computer
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
go to control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager to find out exact model numbers for well... everything and google them, then install. It will take a long time by the way. There are a lot of things to reinstall. On the plus side, it'll probably make you restart after each driver, so you'll know immediatly if it's fixed. However, if it isn't a bad driver, you will have wasted a lot of time, alternatively it could be a hardware fault, whoever said USB could be on the right track, as I think USB is disabled in safe mode, so a faulty port wouldn't affect safe mode start up. This is also a possibility.

It's been a long time since I fannied about in safe mode doing drivers, so I might not be right of course, but I think I am. If you can get a back up, or don't mind losing everything, try reinstalling Windows, it could be a bad sector on your hard disk, or a fauty disk. Have you forced a shut down recently?

If you have important stuff, I suggest you partion off a section of your hard drive and store the extremly important things, then reinstall or even reformat and reinstall windows on your C:.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
My parents like to shutoff the computer right away instead of properly shutting it down.
I have a portable hard drive thing, I could easily back up everything onto it and then fiddle around with the computer. It's about 200 gigs I think so easily enough room.

I'm contemplating just bringing it in so someone can take a look at it though.. because if it is something wrong with the actual computer, I won't be able to do a thing.

Oh and by reinstalling the drivers.. can I lose anything from doing this, or is it perfecty safe to do?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

I had the same problem, just format and install windows again.
Born to lose, live to win.
get a mac.
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

Coheed and Cambria: Rush, Iron Maiden, and Star Wars had a baby.
if you have an XP disk, then copy absolutely everything you care about onto the external drive, boot from the disk and when it asks you, re-format the hard drive, then install XP again and copy eveything back to the computer. It should work fine. if not then a new hard disk is a good place to start.

jgedit:

Quote by FiestaItaliano
get a mac.

and this.

Quote by FiestaItaliano
get a mac.

Have 2, but not ready to let this computer die

And thanks for the help, I guess I'll have to put everything on the hard drive and reformat it.
Not what I wanted to do on my last weekend off
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Delete the system32 folder. >_>

No joke.

Seriously though, first try to reinstall windows again, if that fails, you might want to check the HDD, see if it is broken. It could also be the BIOS failing on you.

Oh and one more thing, when this first started I would just go into safe mode, then shut off the computer, start it up and it would work.

Now it doesn't start up normally at all.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

hmmm if it's been getting slowly worse then it doesn't really sound like a software fault, I think you're hard disk is probably shot.

First off, hit F8 while booting up and if you have at least Service Pack 2 installed there will be an option that says "Disable automatic restart on system failure" Select that one and it should boot up and stop when you hit the bluescreen which is most likely happening. Record the stop error at the bottom and if there is anything at the top that says something like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" write that down too and post it up here or go to support.microsoft.com/search and look there.
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Quote by rdineen
First off, hit F8 while booting up and if you have at least Service Pack 2 installed there will be an option that says "Disable automatic restart on system failure" Select that one and it should boot up and stop when you hit the bluescreen which is most likely happening. Record the stop error at the bottom and if there is anything at the top that says something like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" write that down too and post it up here or go to support.microsoft.com/search and look there.

Okay, will do, it'll take a bit so.. be right back
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Okay I did that thing to stop it restarting then a blue screen popped up and at the bottom it said

Stop: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XB8BC8991, 0XBA4FB8D0, 0XBA4FB5CC

There was a bunch of stuff before all this too just saying there was a big problem, maybe with the drivers.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Ok a quick search for 0x0000007e looks like a driver related issue. Have you updated or added any hardware recently? You can also try using "System Restore" thats built into Windows to fix it too. Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore. Then go back to the latest one that is before you started having this problem. If that doesn't resolve the issue you need to either reinstall Windows or take it to a tech. If system restore doesn't work and it's not telling you an exact file in the bluescreen thats causing the problem there isn't much more that I can really tell you, hope I helped at least. Good luck!
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
*ding ding ding*

I was right first time!!!

sorry, I'm not right first time often, I'll go sit in the corner

Thanks a lot guy, I'm going to see what I can do now.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Well everything I've tried thus far has failed, I think my only option left is to either reformat it, or bring it in to get it looked at, and I think I'm going to go with the latter.

Once again thanks for all the help.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick