I've noticed that when I pick, I half pick from the wrist and half from the elbow, in that when I do a downstroke, my wrist pivots my arm and bends my elbow. Recently watching a guthrie video I assumed I was doing ok technique, until he said 'pick fast continuously for 10 seconds and if you get tense then there is something wrong with the way you're playing' I do and I found that it was pretty hard to keep up fast picking for that length of time.

So I thought ok, how hard can it be to stop pivoting my arm, but I've slowed to as slow as possible and concentrated really hard, but my wrist just dosen't seem to move on its own, the whole arm has to go with it.

So...AT forum buffs. Any ideas?
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
i've had pretty much the same problem, it kinda makes me mad sometimes haha
but yeah, i could also use some help with this
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

see this is strange, because i have a teacher who says ur not supposed to use wrist, and he shreds like a cheese grater, so i think that its up to you, if u do one better than the other, keep using it. people saying sumthing is wrong is just cause they dont understand it.
^ no. Look at the threads, examine the evidence, picking from the elbow is ALWAYS worse than picking from the wrist if you are doing it correctly.

Quote by public property
^ no. Look at the threads, examine the evidence, picking from the elbow is ALWAYS worse than picking from the wrist if you are doing it correctly.

I don't agree. There really isn't even a "worse" or "better". They simply (can) each play
a role (if done right).

As far as watching videos goes, it's pretty much impossible to distinguish anyone who's
partly using the elbow. The motions are imperceptible. You can even be using almost
entirely elbow, and with a relaxed wrist, it will still appear that it's only the wrist moving.
So I thought ok, how hard can it be to stop pivoting my arm, but I've slowed to as slow as possible and concentrated really hard, but my wrist just dosen't seem to move on its own, the whole arm has to go with it.

So...AT forum buffs. Any ideas?

The whole arm has to go with it or has to move the wrist?

I'm assuming it's the former, and if so, thats's A-OK. A loose elbow will move a little if there's a big movement of the meatlump at the end of the lever (your hand ) - perhaps the issue is how big your movement is or how much you dig into the strings? Looking at those might solve the tension thing, and you may also be taking Guthrie's advice slightly wrong -
pick fast continuously for 10 seconds and if you get tense then there is something wrong with the way you're playing

- means just that. It may be at the speed you consider "fast picking" your technique is tense but it's fine at more moderate tempos. That may mean that it's a matter of fine-tuning, not fundamental flaw. Besides, you pick pretty damn well, IIRC.
I thought he used just elbow.