Hello all. I am awaiting delivery of a new Guitar (CD-60), it will be my first steel string. I have had a Yamaha CG-110 (classical with nylons) for the past few years, and have played it very often, at least in spurts, without ever having put in the effort to become a good guitarist.

I expect it will arrive with Factory strings (?), so, tomorrow i'm going to buy some good ones. The guys at the shop have always recommended D'Adarrio, they are the only strings i have ever tried, so have nothing to compare them to, so i'll probably stick with the brand, unless someone has particularly good words for another brand.

What am i looking for? Are there only 3 options? Extra-Light, Light, and Medium? From what i have gathered, Medium would produce the "best" sound, but are the most difficult to play, is this right? If so, i guess i'll get them. Good/bad? Would i just ask for "D'Addario medium steel strings", or do i need to quote somesizes or something?

Thanks.
over analyzing it.

just get .12's of whatever
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Welcome to the world of steel string guitars. Expect your fingers to start hurting after you've played for awhile. Don't worry, it'll get better soon enough.

Factory strings aren't a bad thing - especially if you've bought a decent guitar. One thing to remember is factory strings aren't made in the factory where the guitar was made. There are only a couple of string makers out there, which means you might buy 2 different brands of strings, but they were probably made at the same factory. D'Addario makes good strings. Chances are, they made the strings already installed on your new guitar.

You need to find out what's already installed on your guitar. Does it have 9s or 10s installed? Most electrics will have one of those 2 gauges installed. D'Addario makes Super Lights (9s) and Regular Lights (10s) that I use on my guitars. Which gauge you install depends on what sound you're after. The 9s are great for rock and will bend like no tomorrow, but won't have the bass that the 10s offer. The thicker the string gauge, the better the bass. Of course, the 10s will also bend quite easily, so don't let me trick you into thinking that you have to have 9s if you want to do string bends. I've even got 11s installed on one of my guitars and they bend fairly easy. 12 gauge strings are a bit harder to bend. It can be done, but it takes more effort and you can really only do it on the high E, B and G.
Try some Elixir Coated strings. Will be better from the transition from Nylon and they last longer.
Quote by about
over analyzing it.

just get .12's of whatever

+1

And I can't really imagine the strings being crap (They're Fender's btw). If they do happen to be crap and break instantly, you can just replace that string with a new one (D'Addario's or whatever).

EDIT: your guitar has .12 strings btw.
While you're at the guitar store, grab some Fast-Fret. When you're done playing for the day, take a couple of minutes to wipe down the strings and wipe the Fast-Fret on them. I used to replace my strings every month or two, but now I get anywhere from 6 months to almost a year on non-coated strings. Fast-Fret really doesn't seem to work all that well on phosphor/bronze acoustic strings, so I've gone to Elixir Nanowebs on all my acoustics. With normal playing, they'll last 6 months to a year.

Also, I have no idea what a CD-60 is, but if it's an acoustic, just get 12s.
^ CD-60 is a fender acoustic.

Yeah.. most brands are pretty good. My personal favourites as of now are the Martin Eric Clapton Signatures. They're not just some advertising gimmick, they actually do sound better than the Martin SPs(on my guitar). More bass and warmth from my experience.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I use elixirs too, but i've been thinking of getting some D'addario's for one of my acoustics.. because super bright isn't always the way to go.

but if you're a beginner get some Elixir Custom lights..... they will last a long time and arn't bad on your hands
I wouldn't get Elixirs. I don't think they sound very good.

If you want long-lasting strings, get D'Addario EXP's. Actually, those are more than likely the stock strings. Most acoustics come strung new with EXP's.

They sound awesome and last just as long as Elixirs.

Of course, I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights (.11mm high e string). I think they sound better than the EXP's, but the tone doesn't last very long as opposed to EXP's.

By the way, don't listen to all of the electric players telling you to just get whatever because it doesn't matter. Acoustic strings matter much more than electric strings do.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone

If you want long-lasting strings, get D'Addario EXP's. Actually, those are more than likely the stock strings. Most acoustics come strung new with EXP's.

Of course, I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights (.11mm high e string). I think they sound better than the EXP's, but the tone doesn't last very long as opposed to EXP's.

By the way, don't listen to all of the electric players telling you to just get whatever because it doesn't matter. Acoustic strings matter much more than electric strings do.

I just don't like D'addario EXP's because on my acoustic they start to sound dead after a few weeks... elixirs always sound bright and alive!!!

But i dont know, on my acoustic, the D'addario 5$ phosphor bronz strings sounded pretty great, but when i got custom heavy gauge strings they sounded Dead after 2 weeks as well... so... it's weird... i guess....
Quote by Natrone

You might notice that I said "Try some Elixir's". Not you should use. If he is a newbie and we all were at one point, it makes sense to advise him of what has worked for some. Then he can try them and make up his own mind.
Ok, calm down. I wasn't trying to bash anyone.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Ok, calm down. I wasn't trying to bash anyone.

I am perfectly calm, thank you Please don't confuse Bold, or italics for over excitement, it is simply for clarity. You will know when I am over excited, by what I type.

And I wasn't having a go as such, either.

Mind you, you did almost say that electric players are retarded and don't appreciate the finer subtleties of Acoustics guitars and the requirement for quality strings, simply because electric guitars are less dependent on the strings for tone...

Perhaps, if an electric player mentioned his string preference, it may be due to the quality or longevity and most likely, the reference would be to the manufacturers Acoustic variant of said string.

Quote by Skeet UK
I am perfectly calm, thank you Please don't confuse Bold, or italics for over excitement, it is simply for clarity. You will know when I am over excited, by what I type.

And I wasn't having a go as such, either.

Mind you, you did almost say that electric players are retarded and don't appreciate the finer subtleties of Acoustics guitars and the requirement for quality strings, simply because electric guitars are less dependent on the strings for tone...

Perhaps, if an electric player mentioned his string preference, it may be due to the quality or longevity and most likely, the reference would be to the manufacturers Acoustic variant of said string.

Well I play electric too. I'm not calling electric players retarded, I'm just tired of the ones who don't own, play, or realize this is a question ABOUT acoustics answering questions in here.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by KG6_Steven

You need to find out what's already installed on your guitar. Does it have 9s or 10s installed? Most electrics will have one of those 2 gauges installed.

He's getting an acoustic. You're way off base here dude.
I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Medium. I love the sound of them, but the feel is a bit too scratchy for me. Until I find better feeling strings, the sound of these are fantastic.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Natrone
Well I play electric too. I'm not calling electric players retarded, I'm just tired of the ones who don't own, play, or realize this is a question ABOUT acoustics answering questions in here.

Let's just find a middle ground, everyone who plays guitar; any stringed instrument, is retarded.
Quote by Hypothesis
Hello all. I am awaiting delivery of a new Guitar (CD-60), it will be my first steel string. I have had a Yamaha CG-110 (classical with nylons) for the past few years, and have played it very often, at least in spurts, without ever having put in the effort to become a good guitarist.

I expect it will arrive with Factory strings (?), so, tomorrow i'm going to buy some good ones. The guys at the shop have always recommended D'Adarrio, they are the only strings i have ever tried, so have nothing to compare them to, so i'll probably stick with the brand, unless someone has particularly good words for another brand.

What am i looking for? Are there only 3 options? Extra-Light, Light, and Medium? From what i have gathered, Medium would produce the "best" sound, but are the most difficult to play, is this right? If so, i guess i'll get them. Good/bad? Would i just ask for "D'Addario medium steel strings", or do i need to quote somesizes or something?

Thanks.

For us to tell you which strings you should get and install on your guitar is about as pointless as trying to put lipstick on a pig. We can recommend this or that until we're blue in the face, but when you get right down to it, it's what YOU prefer that really matters. I do understand up front pointers for newbs tho. And we were all at that point at one time or another.
So, here's a short list of "good" acoustic guitar strings to try out.
D'Addario EJ16, Phosphor Bronze makeup, non-coated, but great sounding
Elixer Nanoweb, .012's, also Phos/Bronze, nice and bright hi's, balanced mids, mediocre bass
Martins(any of them really, they're all good when used for the right application)
Dean Markley Gold Bronze, good if you like lots of bass and an overall darker sound

Chances are high that the original strings installed on the CD60 will be .012-.053 gauge. It's a full size dreadnaught, and traditionally, this is the standard gauge for this type of guitar. You may move up or down by one size without effecting the neck much. If you do change sizes for whatever reason and want to be on the safe side, bring the guitar in to a shop and explain what you are doing and have them check the neck relief. Different gauges have different tension ratings and necks can get out of whack fast when making big jumps.
I'd suggest for you to play the guitar for a month or so before changing strings on it. Get used to it and get a feel for the strings that are on it. Go from there if you want to alter the sound.
That is because Dave is probably the most knowledgable person in this forum. When in doubt, listen to Dave.

Seriously.

Quote by redking14ca
Let's just find a middle ground, everyone who plays guitar; any stringed instrument, is retarded.

Ok, fair enough.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
AWESOME!! you're getting my guitar! haha. but yeah just go out get some .12s unless you wanna go lower thats your choice. im yet to restring my CD-60 with D'addario lights. enjoy.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Quote by redking14ca
thread killer? u just answered his question like a god.

That's dave for you.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.