What's up,

this a weird question for a guy in high school to be asking, but what are the best ways for a guitarist to make a living (post-secondary). I used to have plans to go to university or college for guitar, but with the state of the industry I don't know if it's such a good idea. What other ways can i make money with guitar; demoing products, teaching.... I feel pretty f***** cause my parents want me to do something more "sociable".... Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Ahh the great guitarist's dream.
Your best bet is to make a band, and not completly suck.
How you approach this is upto you.
One thing you have to remember is..
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
In the current economy, the best thing to do is found a large, failing bank and ask for a bailout.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
You can study something similar to music like Sound Engineering. Also, working as a Music Teacher is quite "sociable" (you probably mean acceptable by society).
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
Quote by Seymour dooncan
What's up,

this a weird question for a guy in high school to be asking, but what are the best ways for a guitarist to make a living (post-secondary). I used to have plans to go to university or college for guitar, but with the state of the industry I don't know if it's such a good idea. What other ways can i make money with guitar; demoing products, teaching.... I feel pretty f***** cause my parents want me to do something more "sociable".... Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Being a guitar teacher could be pretty rewarding. There is a guitar teacher in my neighborhood and he's been doing it for a pretty long time. He also makes money from doing gigs, because he's in a band that is kind of known in this area. So you could probably make some money doing that. Also, you could be one of those guys that plays out on the street and people give them money.
Quote by Seth Shadows

IS????!@???!?? IS?!!

Honestly, unless you're some guitarist prodigy with lots of music theory in one hand and technicality in the other and some creativity in your testicles, you have little chance making it big.
Studio musicians can make a lot of money, but in the next ten years, I don't think recording studios will do very well.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by metaldud536
IS????!@???!?? IS?!!

Honestly, unless you're some guitarist prodigy with lots of music theory in one hand and technicality in the other and some creativity in your testicles, you have little chance making it big.

Untrue...There are TONS of examples of guitar players with only one or none of these traits that "make it big".
Quote by metal4ever6328
Untrue...There are TONS of examples of guitar players with only one or none of these traits that "make it big".

Like? I was leaning torwards solo guitarists though.
Quote by metaldud536
Like? I was leaning torwards solo guitarists though.

jonas bros
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by metaldud536
Oh yes! TS, are you by any chance good looking with curly hair and backed up by a large corporation? If so you may have a chance.

There are bands that are big with terrible guitarists, Atreyu springs to mind. And the vast majority of Alt Rock Bands (Three Days Grace etc.) don't have guitar virtuosos.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by free_thinker999
Tokyo Hotel

I've never actualy heard thier stuff.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
The teaching thing can be good and it will help your playing. Don't depend on it though. Find some non musical related work as well, even if it's only part time.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Do something you love and play in bands on the weekend. Done.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I plan on getting either a degree in Computer Networking or Biology/Teaching, then playing guitar on the side.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Seth Shadows

dear God, I'm going blind
My guitar teacher works at my school, and is earning a teacher's pay.
That's what... $70,000?

He is also in a quite locally famous and earns around $1000 a gig; he gigs twice a week on average.

So yeah, he's doing ok. That's sort of what I want to do when I grow up if my band doesn't make it big.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE