My 13 yr old son wants an electric guitar to learn on for Xmas. He has been out of town for the last 2 weeks and comes home Sunday. I know absolutely nothing about guitars or amps. I have been shopping around and trying to do some research online, but still have no idea what I'm looking for.

He would be playing mostly rock and likes the Les Paul look. My budget is about $200, so I am obviously looking at used items, craigslist, and pawn shops. I don't want to get him a crappy set up, but I'm not sure how serious he is about it either. I don't want him to get bored and have a $1000 door stop, lol.

Can anyone help me with what to look for, avoid, guitars and amps you would recommend. Is this even possible on such a small budget or should I give up?
15 w peavy vypyr for $100 would be best for an amp. As far as the guitar you'll have to look around hard in that price range. Buying a guitar that doesn’t feel and play well will more than likely lead to it becoming a door stop. He needs to have a connection with the instrument.
you should try and boost that budget higher, sorry, but like the guy above, its gonna be VERY hard to find a good guitar in that price range... try doubling or tripling your budget...
Last edited by randomhero93 at Jan 2, 2009,
i'm not an american, so i dont know costs for alot of your guitars, but it'll be similar to UK prices, but maybe try and find a cheap Ibanez guitar, i personally think they are really good guitars for the prices they sell at, or try a guitar pack, they can be a good bargin and work out to have good guitars, but make sure its a full scale guitar and not a 3/4 or it wont feel right.
Look, when I was twelve, my dad went and bought me a guitar and amp, and he got me a ****ty amp, but a wonderful guitar. He got me an Epiphone G400, and I loved it.

Try going up to $420, and getting him this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-and-Amp-Pack?sku=513155
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
ask him to buy it so he can chose what he really like and want.

Bring him to Guitar center or a local retailer and have him talk to the salesperson.

Most salesperson are nice. Mostly.
Quote by Nexium
Ive accidently busted my nut.
Guitar center can do a 12 month zero interest credit for you. If you go with the vypyr for a 100 and then a decent guitar (nothing less than $300 new) then will have almost half paid for now and pay out around $20 a month.

Also, if you see a guitar a guitar center that fits your bill, look it over for scratches. Especially on the back where a belt buckle would dig into it. Those guitars get a surprising amount of wear from people trying them out.

If you ask for a discount they will prob give you one.
Last edited by DILtron3000 at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by chriskhng
ask him to buy it so he can chose what he really like and want.

Bring him to Guitar center or a local retailer and have him talk to the salesperson.

Most salesperson are nice. Mostly.

Our GC they are pretty nice. And try to act like your friend, its almost scary.
Ugh! I figured. I was just hoping... But with 3 boys, the economy, and the possibility it's a phase I can't justify spending much more than that right now.

Another possibility? What about the Fender Affinity Special Strat Pack with a Fender Frontman 15G Amp? Found it online for $249. Deal or no deal?

Thanks to everyone for your honesty though.
Damnit for whatever reason I wrote a long post with links and my comp froze...

Search for the following from Musiciansfriend.com and buy them.

Dean Vendetta XM
Korg Guitar/Bass tuner
Peavey Vypyr 15 W
Dunlop tortex picks (get the .88mm green ones)
D'Addario EXL120 strings

Thanks for being a good parent and supporting your kids in their musical endeavors.

**EDIT: Also use coupon code THNX to get some money off at musiciansfriend.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Is he dead set on electric?

If he isn't, you should be able to find a decent acoustic in your price range. A fairly nice Yamaha or Seagull, for instance, shouldn't cost more than about $250 max, and would provide many years of playability.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by nt_ur_grlfrnd
Ugh! I figured. I was just hoping... But with 3 boys, the economy, and the possibility it's a phase I can't justify spending much more than that right now.

Another possibility? What about the Fender Affinity Special Strat Pack with a Fender Frontman 15G Amp? Found it online for $249. Deal or no deal?

Thanks to everyone for your honesty though.

Owning the larger version of that amp, I wouldn't recommend it, same with the guitar after playing a friends.

Quote by nt_ur_grlfrnd
or the Fender Stop Dreaming Start Playing SE Special Strat Pack With Squier SP-10 Amp?

That'd be a bit worse I'm afraid.

Now then, personally I'd recommend would be a 15W Peaver Vypyr for the amp, or, since most of us probably wouldn't understand all of it even with experience, a Peavey Rage 258. Probably two of the best amps for the price.

As for the guitar, if you can stretch your budget, go for an Ibanez ART100. Yes it's $300 and it'll raise the cost to twice what you wanted to pay, but it'll keep him set for a while if he wants a Les Paul-ish guitar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
After my last post I headed to the local pawn shop. I told the owner my "hopes" for the guitar/amp gift and budget. After about an hour of fishing tackle and guitar talk and my children learning magic tricks from an older gentleman, here's what I ended up with:

-Squier Bullet - appears to be very good condition, no cosmetic wear
-Peavey RAGE 158 15W amp
-Fender Cord
-canvass guitar case
-variety of about 12 picks

All for $135 with a 30 day guarantee.

So, how did I do? (fingers crossed that I'm still the cool mom)
Quote by nt_ur_grlfrnd
After my last post I headed to the local pawn shop. I told the owner my "hopes" for the guitar/amp gift and budget. After about an hour of fishing tackle and guitar talk and my children learning magic tricks from an older gentleman, here's what I ended up with:

-Squier Bullet - appears to be very good condition, no cosmetic wear
-Peavey RAGE 158 15W amp
-Fender Cord
-canvass guitar case
-variety of about 12 picks

All for $135 with a 30 day guarantee.

So, how did I do? (fingers crossed that I'm still the cool mom)

If everything's in a good condition it's a pretty decent deal for a starter
For a first set; pretty good, though expect an upgrade from the guitar soon. Then again, I think everyone here can attest to upgrading their first guitar within a year or so, so it's nothing unusual, so pretty good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7