Hey Guys,

I thought that it'd be good for the whole community, particularly anybody interested in these pickups, to post a good demo of them. I tried my best to produce a broad enough demo, but if there are any qualms with this one, I can always put up another to supplement this one if you can tell me what is lacking. So, if you are interested in how these pickups sound, just click on my profile, there is an MP3 up with both clean and dirty sounds.

The recording set up is a MIM Strat with a 62 SG (smooth groove) in the neck, a 62 SG in the middle and a calibrated 69 GG (gorilla groove) in the bridge, going into a Fender Blues Junior with a Greenback clone for the speaker via 15 feet of horizon cable, recorded by the Rockband microphone directly into Audacity with no processing. For the solo, a modified Ibanez TS-9 is used, but was not plugged in for the clean part. The first 3:30 is demonstrating the clean tone available to you with these pickups, and the lastpart is demonstrating the dirty lead tone one can achieve with an OD pedal.

Hope this helps!
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Sounds great, very close to a John Mayer tone. How much did the set cost you?
1) The amp settings are (out of 12):

Master - 12
Volume - 4.5
Treble - 6.5
Mids -5.5
Bass - 8

For the solo, the volume got raised to 8.

2) Set cost about $200 including shipping. The Mayer thing is impressive, and unlike the set that comes on his strat, these actually sound good with some gain.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
I wish I could play like that but I've cut off and broken my fingers too many times my my fret hand just doesn't want to move like that.

Great soundclip!

Did you get my email about the microphonic feedback?
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks Chris.

I did get your email. I think i'll wait a month. The problem (it seems) has already decreased.

Do you want a copy of the clip for your website? I can email it to you.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Is that any particular song, or is it just you kicking ass?

Those sound really good, and you got some grat skills.

How long have you been playing?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
That would be Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer + some general fun in the key of C#m.

I've been playing like 4 years?

For anyone interested, i'm going to be putting up a "SRV" demo sometime soon so i'll post again when that's up.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
I just posted the "SRV" demo. But it turned to be a little bit more late hendrix than SRV...

Settings:

Amp (out of 12)-
Bass 8
Treble 6.5
Mids 6
Master 6
Volume 6

Fuzz (always on) -

Fuzz - all the way up
Volume - all the way up

Happy Pickup Hunting / you may want a fuzz pedal now...
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Both of those clips sound amazing. I just ordered a setup similar to that...can't wait

Question: For the solo of your first clip, is raise the volume the only thing you did? I have a Fender NOS Blues Junior and just want to make sure that there is no pedal there.

Also, I'm curious about the microphonic feedback. What is it, and what did Corduroy tell you?
Ah good for you! I'm sure you'll be equally happy. Get a fuzz too. They're great.

There is a pedal there. My modified Ibanez TS-9. But they sound wonderful without it. I just like the compression that the TS-9 gives me. Lets me play sloppier.

Hah. Yeah. That. Well, when i play with the fuzz into my amp cranked (dont judge me), close to the amp, the pickups squeal like a microphone does when you turn it up too much and point it at the speakers. He said that the shellac he uses to pot the pickups has to dry so if i give it a week it should go down. That seems to be the case, so i'm hopeful that it will continue to dry. I also should probably play with less fuzz.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Ahh, yeah, I know what that feedback sounds like. If I crank my amp, and don't get far enough away, my Lace Sensors do the same thing.

I never felt the need for a TS-9, because my only guitar was outfitted with a clapton tbx midboost kit, which game me more gain and compression than I could ask for. Now that I'm going to have a guitar with 62' pickups, I might need some sort of tube overdrive.

What kind of fuzz pedal do you use?
An overdrive would be a good idea. Something midrangy does well with these pickups. I would suggest something in the tubescreamer vein: TS-9, TS-808, Lovepedal Eternity, Hermida Zendrive, or maybe a Menatone Red Snapper.

I use a fuzz pedal that i built myself, but if you go out and pick up a Analogman SunFace (same circuit with slightly different transistors) i'm sure you will be equally happy.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors