Hi guys,
When you listen To guitar, how do you know it's country, classic rock, modern rock ...?
By what it sounds like?!
Your question's kind of hard to answer.
How do you tell any genre apart from another?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
go listen to country modern rock and classic rock then compare and contrast the differances
███████████████████████████████████
i think he wants to know how to class songs in sub-genres. like metallica isn't just metal, its THRASH metal. and DragonForce isn't just metal, its POWER metal

right?
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
listen to a ****load of music, make up your own goddamn mind
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
vocals - listen to what the lyrics are about, how the lyrics are vocalized ect. (ex. if they sing about their pickup truck, chances are it's country haha)
guitar - is it acoustic? Heavily distorted? Any reverb on there? Effects and sounds can be combined to create a unique sound for a unique genre.
Beat - 4/4 is very common with all types of music. 5/4 and it's probably hard rock or metal. 23/16 you're listening to something crazy like Meshuggah which is pretty heavy stuff.

Theres more but im not gonna waste my time haha
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by KGB_INC
i think he wants to know how to class songs in sub-genres. like metallica isn't just metal, its THRASH metal. and DragonForce isn't just metal, its POWER metal
right?

Yes, that's a partt of my question.

Quote by kingofdudes161
guitar - is it acoustic? Heavily distorted? Any reverb on there? Effects and sounds can be combined to create a unique sound for a unique genre.

You mean?!
To be honest i'd say genre is mostly linked to the artist.

But for if you want to work it out based on song's, listen out for little niches that are in every genre, like blue's... lot's of blues notes, bends, slides and vibratos with a nice thick sounding bassline and usually a straight forward beat and some soulfull (i dont know a better word to descbribe it) singing to it.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by kingofdudes161
vocals - listen to what the lyrics are about, how the lyrics are vocalized ect. (ex. if they sing about their pickup truck, chances are it's country haha)
Beat - 4/4 is very common with all types of music. 5/4 and it's probably hard rock or metal. 23/16 you're listening to something crazy like Meshuggah which is pretty heavy stuff.

Theres more but im not gonna waste my time haha

Meshuggah use 4/4. They play polyrhythms over this. But the structure is 4/4.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Who cares, play and let others decide if they really want to know.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
You need to learn the characteristics of each genre to perfectly define it.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE