I do it, and I'm definitely not bad at guitar, but some people say it's like cheating. it really isn't, if it works I see nothing wrong with it. And if you don't know, people do that to dampen the strings extra noise. Andy James does it, he's not bad, look him up on youtube, he's better than 90% of guitarists. I don't see how it's cheating.
It's not really cheating IMO, just makes it a lot more forgiving if you're playing a solo. I only see a real use for it in recording though, as live you would have to piss about moving it on and off to play open stuff.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Herman Li does it.
You don't want to be like him, do you?

There's your answer.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
yeS
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by black-sabbath
Herman Li does it.

There's your answer.

Satch does it when recording, does that mean he sucks too?

ginjaninja, how's that cheating? It's not a game, it's playing music...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by black-sabbath
Herman Li does it.

There's your answer.

Sam Totman does it actually .
herman says on the ultra beatdown dvd

"a cloth(/sock whatever it is) cos sam can't mute his strings properly"
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by ginjaninja
It is cheating. Take it off, I bet you have numerous bad habits.
No I don't, so fail.
Cheating doesn't exist in music. If it sounds better then by all means do it.

Cheating does however exist in this stupid ****ing guitar skills fight that seems to continuously plague this forum.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Cheating doesn't exist in music. If it sounds better then by all means do it.

Cheating does however exist in this stupid ****ing guitar skills fight that seems to continuously plague this forum.

This.

I believe MAB and Jennifer Batten do it too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jan 2, 2009,
I agree Mr Turnip. I like to play and listen to music that sounds good. End of story.
Quote by guitarplaya322
you asked for our opinions on it, and now your angry??
Haha, no I'm not angry at all, I may seem like it cause I'm typing, but I'm not angry by any means. I was curious, I'm still gonna do it no matter what anybody on here says anyway.
I wonder who thought of this. How does it work and what the hell does it do. It's not like a capo.
It mutes open strings so that when you play, you dont have unwanted string noise in the background. I use it sometimes, and I don't feel that it is cheating.
Gear:

Ibanez XPT707FX
Ibanez RG7321 (DiMarzio D-Activator 7 Pickups)

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah-Wah
DigiTech Whammy WH-4
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Line 6 Flextone III Plus w/FBV2 Footswitch
Quote by danohat
I wonder who thought of this. How does it work and what the hell does it do. It's not like a capo.
You take a headband and put it around the top of your neck, tighter the better, and then it dampens the sound of open strings if you accidentally pull off when you're not supposed to while shredding or something like that. I never heard of doing it when someone plays slow or chords or anything, but it helps a lot while shredding.
It really helps while recording, especially if you're on a tight schedule, but you've got to be able to play it properly live too IMO.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
Haha, no I'm not angry at all, I may seem like it cause I'm typing, but I'm not angry by any means. I was curious, I'm still gonna do it no matter what anybody on here says anyway.

Then why are you even asking for opinions? I just tried it for the first time, and it feels kinda odd for me. I prefer muting with my palm. Do what you do though, if it's your thing then stick with it man.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Looks like a great idea to me. If it works for you then do it. I will try it myself sometime.
it would encourage bad habits if you use it, otherwise i dont really care.

its your guitar, its your music, your choice.
not a bunch of pissed off 13 year olds on a guitar forums choice.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
It's not cheating. It DOES make it easier to play, and I wouldn't hesitate to record a solo like that. I've even seen a few players (Guthrie Govan for example) use one live when he feels he's going to have a sloppy day (too much to drink? )
Theres no cheating, but there are shortcuts.

Sure, you sound better short term, but long term if you rely on shortcuts you don't develop playing skills to the same degree, shortcuts can only get you so far.

Theres nothing wrong with a shortcut here or there, but when you come to depend on it, it drastically hinders your own progress.

Thats how I see it.
Quote by Firewind Raging
It really helps while recording, especially if you're on a tight schedule, but you've got to be able to play it properly live too IMO.

This.

It just helps when you're recording. And I bet that Andy James guy you posted only uses it in recording. I bet he kicks his ass of live, though, which means he's put in hours and hours and hours to just get muting down, and only uses it to be absolutely sure a recording sounds the best he can get it.

I think it looks tacky if you do it live, but when you're recording its a brilliant idea and I recommend it, honestly.

If Marty Friedman and Satch do it... well let's face it, who the hell are you to say it's not a good idea?

If you don't like it then it's your deal.
but dont rip on someone if they do it.

It'f like argueing the whole "Can you use your thumb for chords?" deal.

Chet Atkins did it. Tal Farlow did it
so why can't I?
lol omg! I can't believe someone thinks that's cheating. I hate cheaters :@:@ maan that is soooo not cheating dude guy. God that is so gay. :|
im not sure but i was waching a video of whatshisname from meshuggah fredrick i think and eh had like the bottom three strings or something taped up ( but i think thats juts cause he was using liek the top 4 strings)
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Don't use it to practice or anything like that, but hey if you want to tighten up your solo a bit and sound a bit more professional on a recording then by all means go ahead. Just make sure you can still play a solo cleanly without it. Use the band to PERFECT an already clean solo.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by Prole
Theres no cheating, but there are shortcuts.

Sure, you sound better short term, but long term if you rely on shortcuts you don't develop playing skills to the same degree, shortcuts can only get you so far.

Theres nothing wrong with a shortcut here or there, but when you come to depend on it, it drastically hinders your own progress.

Thats how I see it.

This.
I guess its ok for recording, but I don't think relying on it is a good idea. It just promotes not playing cleanly.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
I'd prefer to learn the good habit of actually knowing how to mute my strings. It would be embarrassing borrowing someone's guitar at a jam and saying, "Hey, do you have a sock or something I can mute the strings with? Cause I don't know how."
Always better to learn the good habit than getting lazy and going the easy way.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I think its cheating, anyways it won't help your technique get any better.
never heard of it, probably a good thing.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by black-sabbath
Herman Li does it.

There's your answer.

Herman Li only does it in the studio, which is understandable for anyone recording, whether they be ameteur or virtuoso guitar players. Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold, however, does it live most of the time.

About the TS's question, no, it isn't really cheating, but in my book, it's a sign of inexperience. Usually, anyone who has been playing for 3 - 4+ years shouldn't need that.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.