Hey everyone, i've been playing the bass for about a year and a half now, i just need help in one area, how can i learn to finger (lets be mature) my bass faster. and also, what are some good tips for keeping my hands warm when im walking out in the cold, because me and my band do that alot (i live in chhicago, so you can never know what the weather will bring you)
All I can vouch for is that you practice continually at lower BPMs and then gradually increase it over the weeks. Run through scales, chromatic or not...anything really to get your fingers moving.

As for cold hands; gloves?

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

practice with a metronome, doing the spider exercise (1-2-3-4) at slow speeds and build up. Icannot stress the next bit enough- MIX UP THE STRINGS YOU'RE FRETTING ON. No use being able to play fast if you can't match your hands up. You're only as fast as your slower hand.

That's all there is to it. However, it is one of the most involving and long term areas of practice you will come across. You should be going back to slow tempos all the time, you should be switching up what strings you play, you should even be mixing up which order your fretting fingers are used (e.g. play 2-3-1-4 on the, say, E-D-G-A strings if you get me). Applehead says that speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Where is the accuracy? In your hand co-ordination. Finally, be hard on yourself. Don't increase the speed on your metronome until you are completely and utterly confident you can play straight 8ths or 16ths perfectly.
Ataxia... i still get cold hands with gloves
but thank both of you for the tips, i shall start practicing ASAP
darn you for asking for us to be mature...
anyway, practice makes perfect. or something along those lines...
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Quote by Iplaydabasss
Ataxia... i still get cold hands with gloves
but thank both of you for the tips, i shall start practicing ASAP

twiddle your fingers before you play.

then, learn the string skipping, it always helps to learn to act preemptively. know you're next stroke is on the A string? put a finger there a while you play. learn to make it a walking motion, like your hand is running on a bass treadmill.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
"How to finger the bass faster"
That's funny, I guess every high school has a really fat chick named The Bass.
Quote by max355
Hating the 49rs is like hating the retarded kid in class.

The Cowboys, weed, and bass. My three loves
i find that a good way to improve speed, accuracy and tone is to practice staccato notes (short, sharp sound). what you do is pluck a note with your first finger and then quickly mute the note with your second finger on your plucking hand. then pluck with your second finger, mute with your first, etc. by having your next finger there to mute the string, it ensures that you're keeping both fingers close to the string at all times. the more efficiently you can move, the faster you'll get.

also, metronome.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Fingering a bass, im not sure you could even fit your pinky in there, but the question is WHY!!!!!!!!!
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Pretty much for getting you fingers to move faster is to practice songs at low tempos(as been said above)

As for getting your hands warm outside keep some hot hands(hand warmers, you can get them at Walmart in the hunting section) and then stick them in your pockets when your about to go on. Or you can just keep moving your hands and fingers and then when you start to play they will naturally warm up.
Boy, I read that as 'how to finger the ass faster'.. Hmph.

Anyways, practice string skipping, octave jumps perhaps. It comes with time. Malignant Narcissism - Rush is a good song to learn short string skipping on.
DB Player
Just learn a fast song slow and then increase the speed slowly as mentioned before several times. Keep practising and it will come automaticly

And for the cold hands try to move them inside your pocker or something
Another good string-skipping song is Hard to Concentrate by RHCP. As for warming your hands up, stretch out your fingers or crack your knuckles between songs, just keep em moving somehow, and youll be fine.
Quote by abornael
Anyways, practice string skipping, octave jumps perhaps. It comes with time. Malignant Narcissism - Rush is a good song to learn short string skipping on.

That song is a pain to get up to tempo, I've been trying for a week straight and still not there. It will be worth the time though when I do.
Ah, I found it fairly easy, but at times it is hard to get it just right without the two notes being blended together. If you know what I mean. I find the song easier on a sixer where you can mix the low B in.
DB Player
those hand warmer things that heat up and gloves. I do it sometimes. not so much anymore that i'm not in high school and don't have to march in the snow.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by slap-a-bass
iron maiden

aces high

learn it

Then realise it's not very fast at all.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by ZachisSuperCool
"How to finger the bass faster"
That's funny, I guess every high school has a really fat chick named The Bass.

lmao i'm totally sigging that
I'm sorry, I thought the title said "How to finger the ass faster."

There goes half an hour of writing .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I can't even get past the tip of my pinky in the input jack...

But seriously, warm up your hands before you play and do some excersises starting at, sat 60 bpm and get faster.
you should just ask your bass how she like to be fingered
I Hate My Guitar,My Guitar Hates Me.....
We Like I That Way.

Quote by meh!
...so?

in your own words.

it's not rape, it's surprise sex!