Does a band wearing all black at a show seem like a big cliche?

I say this because I'm filling in for my friends band tonight and he said that he wanted us to wear all black, and i just think that's kinda stupid...
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
it does seem like a big thing among a lot of bands. and it is kinda stupid. you should piss him off and go in dressed like hendrix
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
My band just basically dresses however we want. I usually wear a black shirt and jeans. do you have to wear ALL black? cuz that would get hot pretty fast
I usually just wear what I want, but it does seem a bit cliche IMO.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
My band just wear whatever we're comfortable in. For me that's black jeans/camos and a black band tee of some sort, but for my rhythm guitarist it's usually blue jeans and a Nike sleeveless. Our vocalist has this thing for some huge raincoat. Whatever you feel comfortable in man
ohai little sig.
haha the raincoat sounds good

he just writes pretty straight ahead rock

kinda Smashing Pumpkins or QOTSA but a more 70's feel.
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
ha yeah. i dont see the point in having to dress a certain way, if the performance is about the music.
All black for the entire band is kinda cheesy. You'll make it look like a uniform, like Slipkont. Some artists go out wearing rediculous outfits (Axl Rose) but if the music is there it doesn't really matter. I tend to wear a plain black t-shirt, camo shorts, and convers.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one that though this was kinda dumb.

I'm think im going jeans, baseball t, and a dark blue velvet blazer...
Quote by Soadfan8
ha yeah. i dont see the point in having to dress a certain way, if the performance is about the music.

If you want to be noticed you shouldn'ts look like you just woke up. There was a big thread on it here in the Bandleading forum.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
you know, my band does the opposite... we all wear white shirts.

you know, if that was a seroius post, that's actually a pretty good idea.

I usually dress pretty flamboyantly (think along the lines of jimi or axl), but the music has to be solid first.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
yeah i never got the whole, wearing black deal, I always just wore whatever i was wearing that day, as long as i don't have to dress up for the gig. It usually just ends up my band wearing whatever school thing we just finished getting out of (XC, football, swimming)
You know, we've been having this huge debate over in another topic. The "Mistakes bands make ..." thread. TS, you could learn a lot from it, for it covers this very subject.

Basically, I think even though it is cliche, it's best to have some sort of "dress code" as opposed to dressing however you want.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
you know, my band does the opposite... we all wear white shirts.

As long as you don't wear white hoodies too. If you do you should pray there's no black guys in the audience.

My band doesn't have a "uniform" or whatever but everyone except me has a leather jacket I always wear jeans and a t-shirt unless I'm drumming then I wear shorts cause it gets hot as hell under those lights especially when you're doing double bass drumming for over and hour.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
you know, if that was a seroius post, that's actually a pretty good idea.

I usually dress pretty flamboyantly (think along the lines of jimi or axl), but the music has to be solid first.

yeah it was serious, we generally wear white shirts, and jeans.
Quote by schaden
yeah i never got the whole, wearing black deal, I always just wore whatever i was wearing that day, as long as i don't have to dress up for the gig. It usually just ends up my band wearing whatever school thing we just finished getting out of (XC, football, swimming)

Football pads and a speedo!
Quote by The.new.guy
Football pads and a speedo!

why not just the football pads?

seriously though, i dont think it really matters. but if everyone in the band is wearing black and you turn up wearing white ur gonna look like a bit of a nob. so i'd say just go with it this time and try to make a change next time.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Y'know what's funny?
How many people on this thread have said 'They want you all to wear black? That's stupid! I however wear black because that's what I'm comfortable with.'

A band that obviously dresses for the part looks more professional. To an agent or promoter looking for a band, if two bands have equally good music but only one of them attempts to have some sort of image, then they will pick the band with image everytime because that is the band that realises that 'entertainment' isn't just about the music.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with simply wearing what you feel comfortable in, I'm just saying that those that make an effort to 'look' like a band will probably be more successfull than a band of similar musical ability who just wear what they please. Which is why those that are more serious about making a living from music generaly use image more than those who are simply doing it for fun.

So why all black? Well look at the answers provided, people in rock bands generaly like wearing black, so it's a compromise, an image made out of something that everyone is fairly likely to be wearing anyway.

Wanna take the piss? Turn up wearing a black shirt, black tutu, black tights, and black wellington boots.

Quote by AwesomeDrummer
yeah it was serious, we generally wear white shirts, and jeans.

As long as the jeans are blue, if you put slits in the knees of your jeans and wear Converse basketball shoes, that's the Ramones look.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 3, 2009,
Well, differs. We wear all black, Corpsepaint and spikes'n ****. But then again, we're a Black Metal band, i think that either it has to fit the genre, or reflect the music, or don't bother. MAke it a piece of your art. Of your atmosphere.. If your music is about death and violence and ****, look brutal and evil, if you're music is political.. Look like a punk-ass, or put on a tie (or something xD), If it's happy tunes, dress like a sixties hippie.. Anyway

My point is. Make your outfits reflect your music. Music is not just tunes. It's a whole world created by one or more persons. Make yourself reflect that world. Put your soul into the music, only then will it be good ^^

I guess it'd be a personal opinion.. But really.. Don't make a bunch of great songs, and just **** the concept <.< Make it all work together.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
I tend to wear alot of tie dye., but it fits usually, i play alot of phycadelic, 60-70 rock, or blues, in which case i throw on a dressy shirt.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by Northernmight
Well, differs. We wear all black, Corpsepaint and spikes'n ****. But then again, we're a Black Metal band, i think that either it has to fit the genre, or reflect the music, or don't bother. MAke it a piece of your art. Of your atmosphere.. If your music is about death and violence and ****, look brutal and evil, if you're music is political.. Look like a punk-ass, or put on a tie (or something xD), If it's happy tunes, dress like a sixties hippie.. Anyway

My point is. Make your outfits reflect your music. Music is not just tunes. It's a whole world created by one or more persons. Make yourself reflect that world. Put your soul into the music, only then will it be good ^^

I guess it'd be a personal opinion.. But really.. Don't make a bunch of great songs, and just **** the concept <.< Make it all work together.

I agree. + ∞
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
one of my bands had a kinda uniform. we all wore white and black. i usually wore black with white wing tipped shoes. white pants. black shirt. and a white tie. it was very green dayish looking but it was fun for a while it just got old. although my drummer was hilarious looking he is a bigger guy (250+) and he would wear black tuxedo pants that he had cut into shorts. white tuxedo shirt that he had cut the sleeves into a short sleaved shirt but left them jagged and for some reason he always wore the tie around his head. we were like 15 at the time and it was fun then but we grew out of it and the pop punk style music we were playing where it actually fit. now we are a more blues rock type band (its basically the same band just lineup changes and a new name) and generally have the blue collar type image
Band uniform?

That's lame. I wear a band shirt (most are black anyway) and jeans (the only pair i have which are blue). It it's cold maybe i'll wear a hoodie.

Who gives a ****, i care about the sound i make not if i'll win the fashion contest.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
/\ and thats why youll never make it in the music world. image is everything (well, almost). clearly you didnt read every post..
Quote by Dunjma
/\ and thats why youll never make it in the music world. image is everything (well, almost). clearly you didnt read every post..

Well, I wouldn't say it's everything , but an image can definitely give you a huge edge over other bands.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I wear womens pants and tops, it looks hawt!
Actually my profile pic is at a gig, an awesome silly looking red 'Canada' hat, green stripey hoody, and black jeans. Someday I'm gonna play topless with tight white jeans. The epicness will be huge. Also in another band I play in we wear black pants and shirts with coloured jackets over the top: Me red, drummer yellow, and bassist green, and when we're lined up playing it looks like traffic lights. It's pretty sweet. I've also wanted to get matching purple suits for my entire band but short from getting them made it's gonna be hard. Basically dont all wear black, it's lame.
Although this awesome band from my country always wear black suits. They're all different but they're all black and the singer always has a red tie, they rock
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by speedy1330
you should wear pajamas

I'm FREAKING DOING THAT
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
do something crazy dude, its called a show for a reason, your expose to entertain, in more ways than just the music, lights, clothes, its all apart of a show.

Honestly black is just boring, unless you do what i did one time and rip your plain black shirt and have another shirt underneath saying something funny, or stupid.

or where a black suit, with a black tie, with a black shirt and black shoes and a cane, it'd be sick.
Quote by Black Star
Well, I wouldn't say it's everything , but an image can definitely give you a huge edge over other bands.

thats why i said "well, almost"
but without an image for people to remember you by, its gonna be harder to break through.

for example with my old band, we did a show where all of us wore black pants and white shirts. a few days later i was talking to a guy that had been there at the time. he didnt remember me specifically, but he remembered what we wore, and was then able to remember our songs. without that thing for him to hook onto it would have been much harder to make him remember.