Hey guys, well im a massive fan of guitarist like Jonny squiare and jonny marr, and i can play most smiths stone roses songs but i was wondering if any one had some techniques for me when writing my own catchy melodies.
Coz at the moment im totaly stumped as to how these guys write these things.

Cheers for any help

Jonny
sing a guitar part first....cause usually you sing something to yourself that's catchy...the simplest things I play, people seem to love cause you can hum along to it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Sometimes, it's best to be simple, and not make things too complex.

Some tips:
Choose a key/scale.
You can take notes from the chord progression.
Start on the tonic note, so the first note in the scale (i.e, start on a G note if it's in a G Major scale).
Make the melody climax somewhere. You can do this by adding in the highest note of the song.
Make the melody finish with the tonic note, so to depict a "resolution" in the music.
Try to tell a story.

Some quick tips. I might write some more later, too. Have fun!
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by JonnyManyTalent
Hey guys, well im a massive fan of guitarist like Jonny squiare and jonny marr, and i can play most smiths stone roses songs but i was wondering if any one had some techniques for me when writing my own catchy melodies.
Coz at the moment im totaly stumped as to how these guys write these things.

Cheers for any help

Jonny

You know, Jonny, your namesakes ( ) also use some pretty good rhythmic ideas.
It's hard to write catchy melody that will linger on in listener's head... Advice about singing the melody is good. And just don't give up on composing. The more you try to write songs, the better you will get!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Go to your local library, search "melody writing" in the search terminals. Trust me, there will be at least 2 classical based books on writing (classical) melodies which can easily be used for contemporary music.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Look at a lot of popular songs. Look at how SIMPLE they are! Generally simplicity is what people like, they just like it processed[lots of production and effects n such] but over-doing it will lead to people not liking you.

Yngwie is really fast, and knows his theory, but Kirk Hammett is more famous due to the fact he's not out just to play as fast as he can and trying to get every fret on every string in the song.

I do have a hard time making things too, it helps to practice popular songs.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by Leat
Look at a lot of popular songs. Look at how SIMPLE they are! Generally simplicity is what people like, they just like it processed[lots of production and effects n such] but over-doing it will lead to people not liking you.
The really popular normally have great vocal melodies and are far from simple. You ever wonder why some songs last forever (classical songs, old folk songs, nursery rhymes, the occasional contemporary song) and people will still recognise the tune after hundreds of years, yet some songs seem completely forgotten by the end of the week? It's because of the vocal melodies, or just the melody in general.

Simple music only works if it's marketed and if it appeals to image, except these simple songs are the songs that are forgotten by the end of the week.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.