Okay, so heres the story. I wrote a song out on guitar (ofcourse) and decided to show it to some musicians i know. I've known the drummer for a while and he wanted this guy (who's the youth group band leader at a church) to join us in our sesh. After showing them the song, we all collaborated on it, played it, and then decided to start a band. To tell you the truth, I really didn't want to but i decided i would love the experience.
I've been a singer for a long time and i want to be the frontman, (i know i know, i sound like a 6 year old, but its the truth) but the youth group guy, just kinda scooted towards that position without any debate, and he wrote lyrics to the song i wrote. I'm not sure why, but i was somewhat insulted by this. Why? Because I'm really proud of this song, and i wanted the lyrics to be rooted from me, i guess it boils down to something personal to be honest. I felt "He's already the leader of the church band! So why does he have to be the front of one i started and planned on?". I didnt say anything, because i'd feel ridiculous if i did. I later realized that i might be suffering an ego trip! I understand that enable to be in a succesful band, you must practice ignoring your ego.
Is my annoyance justified or is my head up my ass?
Whats your input UG?
"Never stop doing what you love" - Paul McCartney (Commercial lololol)
Whoa wait?
Im a lil confused, you play what and this leader plays what?
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
I don't think it's an ego trip. You wrote the song,and some dude steps in and writes lyrics for it. You had plans for the song and now those plans won't have a chance. I'd advice you go ahead and write your lyrics and show them to the band and let them decide which set of lyrics to use. It may turn out that his work better with the song and you may be able to use those lyrics for another song.
Yeah you wrote the song on guitar, it's your vision on how it should sound. I had the same problem with my band(s) cause i wrote most of the lyrics and i played bass along with that and i had a really good vision of how they should sound. That's not the reason my band never made it, but it is very frustrating. But honestly, you should probably let this song just go how it is with the other guys lyrics, and if you write another good set of riffs, COLLABORATE with the singer. Don't go frontman if you wanna bust out a ton of sweet riffs. This way you can have a more complex sound and people will think if you're mad ****ing sweet at guitar.
i play guitar and sing, friend is the drummer, youth group guy plays guitar and sings too. i want to play rythm and sing :/, but so does the youth group dude.
Last edited by moptopguitar at Jan 2, 2009,
my band writes lyrics for each others songs all the time, its how good, interesting music is made, fusing several peoples ideas together. The worst songs by our band are the ones that one person wrote everything for (usually the drummer... things she's the best songwriter in the world) and wont allow outside influences to come into the song. Having said that, If you had just written the song and he wrote lyrics without asking like a week after you showed it to him, that's a bit rude. WHereas If you guys had learnt the song and you just couldn't find lyrics that fit, thats when the guy should go "hey I've got an idea why dont we try this".
Whatever you do keep the band as a band don't let anyone be "in charge" or take too much control cause thats when problems start and people leave.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
my band writes lyrics for each others songs all the time, its how good, interesting music is made, fusing several peoples ideas together. The worst songs by our band are the ones that one person wrote everything for (usually the drummer... things she's the best songwriter in the world) and wont allow outside influences to come into the song. Having said that, If you had just written the song and he wrote lyrics without asking like a week after you showed it to him, that's a bit rude. WHereas If you guys had learnt the song and you just couldn't find lyrics that fit, thats when the guy should go "hey I've got an idea why dont we try this".
Whatever you do keep the band as a band don't let anyone be "in charge" or take too much control cause thats when problems start and people leave.

ahh i c, well yeah i dont mean to play the "im right" card, but he wrote them when we got back from the sesh....idlo, but i see what your saying, kinda like rock papper scissors right? One guy keeps the other guy in check and such?
exactly. Back when our band first started, the drummer kind of 'took charge' without asking and we were all like meh I cbf making decisions anyway now our bands gotten quite good but she hardly ever listens to other peoples opinions and Ive had countless songs just disappear because she was like "oh we'll work on that after we practise these four songs of mine" and then it would just get forgotten about. It's better now because everyone in the band was like hey Drew started this band, he brought us all together, and now your trying to turn into some kind of solo project and thats not what its about. Still you dont want to get into that situation, Ive wanted to leave so many times but I just stuck it out thinking "oh it'll get better" and it has, but there's still a long way to go before we are actually a "band" who make decisions as a whole
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Never be friends with anyone the least related to CHURCH.. any church!.. ahem.. on more serious note.. I understand you fully.. That is why i have my own stuff on the side of band stuff, and always has.

I too want my music to reflect me, and not some other guy i play with.
My advice would be exactly this. Keep your "personal" stuff for yourself to work on, and make band stuff aswell, along with the others..
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!