I have a Zune and I really like it. But I hate how locked down the software is. You MUST sync with the Zune software. It's impossible to use Rockbox or any custom firmware. I would like to use last.fm but I can't. And the software uses a crapton of RAM compared to Winamp.

I was thinking about getting an iPod. You can sync with Winamp, WMP, Mediamonkey, etc right? Do you have to do any hacking to make it work? (On Zune you used to to able to use a program called Zalternator to sync with other programs, but MS "fixed" it) Is it hard to get the songs off your iPod to your computer? Does it work well as an external HDD?

Are there any other MP3 players with a large amount of storage that I should consider?
Why not just use the zune software when you need to update your collection on the zune and a last.fm compatible player the rest of the time?
I could do that I guess. It's still annoying to not be able to sync with the media player I want.
Ipod you can sync with iTunes, and a few other programs, theres tons of tools and ways to get songs off it too. It's interface is pretty boring but whatever, it's a tool for music not a fashion statement but if you take care of it it's a good product. (I've had the 160 gig for over a year now)
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Theres a way you can unlock the Zune to sync with other programs. Hell, you can unlock it and use it as a hard drive if you want to.
Try this : http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/completed/20044-zauto-unlocker.html
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/completed/16810-zalternator.html
It's old and they haven't updated it, but you could try it.
Last edited by RPGoof at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Masonpwiley
I could do that I guess. It's still annoying to not be able to sync with the media player I want.
If you have the cash to blow on what amounts to several seconds of convenience a week go for it, personally I'd live with it.

I used to do the same thing with creatives crappy software before Winamp developed MTP support, Winamp for music, creative for transferring files.

Not hard.
I've had my 30gig Zune for 2 years I think. I have less than 6 gigs left on it.

I need to get another hard drive for my computer because I have 35 gigs left and a new PSU because mine is pushing the limits. After that, I won't have money for a new MP3 player. I will hold off on a new MP3 player until I fill my Zune, but I am still considering an iPod when that time comes.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jan 2, 2009,
I've recently got a Cowon D2, and it's brilliant.
The biggest you can get it is 16gb, but then it has an sd card slot.
hello
Quote by Gregray88
I've had both, I prefer Zune though, Zune software kicks iTunes ass.

But Winamp kicks both their asses. I am going to use Winamp for listening to music and Zune for syncing.
I'd have to agree with Punkable_Tabs in saying that ya should just get a cheap piece of crap that has decent memory and is compatible with the software that you want to use. that's what i did, i just went to target and found something that works with last.fm
Quote by phasesevenfold
I'd have to agree with Punkable_Tabs in saying that ya should just get a cheap piece of crap that has decent memory and is compatible with the software that you want to use. that's what i did, i just went to target and found something that works with last.fm

I can't go back to a cheap piece of crap after experiencing the awesomeness that is my Zune! I love the player, just not the software.