I just read the only review on UG about the Marshall 2266c Vintage Modern combo amp. It's good, but none of the ensuing comments are really pertinent to this amp. It's all a rant about how bad Marshall's MG series is.

I'd like to know - if you own or have tried that amp or another Vintage Modern - what you think of it. Please specify what type of music you play and how it satisfies your needs (or not).

Thanks and best wishes for the new year!
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
I have the Vintage Moderne halfstack. I use it for that 70/80s hard rock. guns n roses, van halen. It rocks like a mofo.
i played it once, i didnt turn it up very loud, it sounded bad.
however, i have heard clips of it loud and they are amazing.
i have no use for an amp that doesnt sound good at all volume ranges though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
best new marshall imo
My Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX

Cort VX 2V

Marshall JTM 60

Boss MT-2

Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal (BB-2)
Quote by sharpant
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for: a good discussion with many opinions on this amp.
That's where you realize how appropriate the quote in my sig' is...

Quote by RooZ
I have the Vintage Moderne halfstack. I use it for that 70/80s hard rock. guns n roses, van halen. It rocks like a mofo.
I play the same kind of music, so I guess I'll go try it out...
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
I play the same kind of music, so I guess I'll go try it out...

Excellent.
This amp can sound very shred like if you use a boost in front of it,whilst retaining the clarity of the notes

Paul Gilbert uses it in his SFBADR album, here is one of his songs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iqEx-OLo824
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
This amp can sound very shred like if you use a boost in front of it,whilst retaining the clarity of the notes

Paul Gilbert uses it in his SFBADR album, here is one of his songs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iqEx-OLo824

I agree, I tried one yesterday. Very clear, but I can tell the sound really comes if you crank it. At first it was a bit confusing to use, however. Great cleans for a marshall, I liked the OD, but def not a high gain amp, nor should it be.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I tried one at low volumes. It was a bit fizzy, but didn't sound too bad.

To summarize my review:

The tone is...well.......ok. That's it.
i have not played it but i have heard many clips of it. it sounds much better then the jvm my friend has

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

A little bit harsh and fizzy at low volumes, breaks up very nicely though and really gets nice at higher volumes. High dynamic range is useless. I think it's cool that Marshall went back to the KT66s, I love those tubes...
Quote by al112987
A little bit harsh and fizzy at low volumes, breaks up very nicely though and really gets nice at higher volumes. High dynamic range is useless. I think it's cool that Marshall went back to the KT66s, I love those tubes...

...yet you replaced yours with el34s

I'd love to see more companies start making kt66 based amps. They just sound...special
Quote by timzee117
i have not played it but i have heard many clips of it. it sounds much better then the jvm my friend has

Yes finally! Somebody agrees with me. I tried the jvm 100w head through a 1960 cab and werent impressed at all. Tried to push the volume a bit but still. I went with the Vintage Moderne half stack
I found it to be quite harsh - even at higher volumes.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by chea_man
however, i have heard clips of it loud and they are amazing.
i have no use for an amp that doesnt sound good at all volume ranges though.

So you like solid state ? Know what you mean though, I found the vm's to sound very sterile, and quite thin, and even at full volume it just didnt seem to come alive. I tried it both in the 50w combo version and the 100watt head. Loud for sure, but not really cutting anywhere close to a jmp as I was kind of expecting from the vintage name. I suppose it would be allright for some heavy stuff, as the preamp gain at tap is decent, but I'm not the best judge in that genre as I never play anything harder than the 80's stuff. IMO these amps are well overrated and for the money something better is not hard to find. Anhother thing I noticed is that string seperation was very poor, and anything other than I+V chords got really muddy at just the slighest amount of overdrive. The idea of a detail and body knob is clever, but really falls apart as most settings sound mediocre at best. Again for the modern heavy stuff the amp might be good, I woulnd't know, but in the vintage department it fails miserably imo.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by RooZ
Yes finally! Somebody agrees with me. I tried the jvm 100w head through a 1960 cab and werent impressed at all. Tried to push the volume a bit but still. I went with the Vintage Moderne half stack

On that I have to agree though The jvm's are horrible imo
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
I found that it was one of those amps that you really have to tweak before you start getting a good sound. You can't just plug it in right out of the box and sound good.

Especially with the Body and Detail knobs. You really have to play with those two knobs to start building your tone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I found that it was one of those amps that you really have to tweak before you start getting a good sound. You can't just plug it in right out of the box and sound good.

Especially with the Body and Detail knobs. You really have to play with those two knobs to start building your tone.

It could be. I mean there must be some reason many people like these amps. But again if you have to tweak the hell out of it to get a great tone, the whole idea of versatility at least is out the window
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
It could be. I mean there must be some reason many people like these amps. But again if you have to tweak the hell out of it to get a great tone, the whole idea of versatility at least is out the window

Well, I'm really picky about my tone so it could be me.

People like the amp 'cause it has KT66 tubes and it sounds faaaaaaaat.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, I'm really picky about my tone so it could be me.

People like the amp 'cause it has KT66 tubes and it sounds faaaaaaaat.

one should be picky as hell I know I am. But yeah I really didn't get anyhting fat sounding out of the vm, but again it could be that I simply didnt spend enough time tweaking it, though imo a truly great amp shouldnt jsut sound great at 10% of the possible settings.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
one should be picky as hell I know I am. But yeah I really didn't get anyhting fat sounding out of the vm, but again it could be that I simply didnt spend enough time tweaking it, though imo a truly great amp shouldnt jsut sound great at 10% of the possible settings.

Well, my buddy has one so I got to spend quite a bit of time with it. I'm just happy that I can dial my tone on them now. It took me some effort.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Well if I were you, I'd get the Orange Rocker 30. I play classic rock and wanted a Vintage Modern. But it's very fizzy and kind of hard to get a REALLY good tone out of it. The Rocker 30 is kind of vintage voiced, but WAy better. The overdrive is smoother, it lacks the fizzyness and it's easy to dial in a good tone with it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well if I were you, I'd get the Orange Rocker 30. I play classic rock and wanted a Vintage Modern. But it's very fizzy and kind of hard to get a REALLY good tone out of it. The Rocker 30 is kind of vintage voiced, but WAy better. The overdrive is smoother, it lacks the fizzyness and it's easy to dial in a good tone with it.

+ellevendy million

I agree with gabel. Personally I think VMs sound Fizzy, lifeless, and grainy.
A rocker 30 would be a perfect amp for you TS. Very thick, punchy, and all you need for your 70s rock.
Yeah. I tried it again and tried not to cloud myself. The problem is just that either the tone is too fizzy, or too muddy. Either it lacks gain, or it's too distorted. YOu can't really dial in the exact tone.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by chea_man

No kidding?

Sounds like alot of people just play it at Volume 1 and develop their opinions on that.

I've had her up to 5 in the isolation room at guitar center. Pissed off people there, but I wanted to hear it.

Vintage modern is a sweet amp, I play classic rock and blues, and its very satisfying. The cleans were actually pretty decent.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
No kidding?

Sounds like alot of people just play it at Volume 1 and develop their opinions on that.

I've had her up to 5 in the isolation room at guitar center. Pissed off people there, but I wanted to hear it.

Vintage modern is a sweet amp, I play classic rock and blues, and its very satisfying. The cleans were actually pretty decent.

like i said, it wasnt very loud. i would guess that when louder it comes alive. ive heard clips that are sweet.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It was alright... I like it more than the JVM, but I felt it was overpriced.
It's definitely not a bad amp, but there's better out there for the price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I liked it, it's just a matter of getting it dialed in right
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by SlinkyBlue
No kidding?

Well ok, I cranked it up to 4. Really the tone was fairly good by then. But compare to say a Rocker 30. Does the same thing, way better and at low volumes you get an ok-decent tone, compare to the Vintage Modern which sounds sh*t at those volumes. And at the same volume the Orange still beats it. Also I've played the Vintage Modern three times, each time hoping that it would sound better, but it never did.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

That's just the way the amp is, I have a similar problem with my JTM45, KT66s are a little ice picky at low volumes and smooth out much more when you get them running hot.
I own a Vintage Modern, the 2266C combo model. I think it's the best amp I've ever heard that captures the individual characteristics and subtle differences in guitars (eg one Strat compared to another, etc). Like all valve amps it sounds better loud (not much you can do about that). It's a solid, reliable amplifier that plays clean tones really well, and distortion really well (even better if you have a high quality Japanese or American pedal). My big issue with this amp is that the reverb is nowhere near as effective as the reverb on Fender amps, even cheaper ones like the Hotrod Deville. Apart from that it's great - by far my best amp.