ok so I have a vox ac30cc2 with the vox speakers and I also have a crate v18 1x12 amp. I was considering buying either one or two celestion g12l-30 or g12l-35 speakers to either replace the one on the crate or the two on the vox. If I replace the vox, I would then use one of the vox speakers to replace the crate speaker.

do you guys know if these celestion speakers will be better than the vox stock speakers? if they arent then I would just buy one speaker for the crate, because anytihng is bound to be better than the speaker that the crate has...

I know that this could and maybe should go in the gear customizing, but I am not asking about how to do it, Im asking which speakers are better quality and sound.

edit: or maybe recomend me some other speakers...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Jan 2, 2009,
The celestions would probably be better than the Vox speakers, but if your looking for that vintage Vox sound you have to get some Alnico Blue type speakers
well Im more interested in improving the sound of the crate...do you think it would be worth it to buy two webber 12" blue dog speakers, switch them with the stock vox, and then switch the stock crate with one stock vox?

edit: are the blue dog speakers alnico blue? Im not sure..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Well, what kind of sound are you looking for? Is the Crate too bassy or something?
If you are thinking of buying celestions look at www.warehousespeakers.com

they make celestion clones and a lot of times people say that the warehouse are better. Plus they are like half the price of celestion.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
I'm not sure if the Blue Dog is based on the Alnico Blue, but I know the Eminence Red Fang is a pretty popular Alnico Blue alternative. (Get 2 15 Watt Webers if you go for them seem like a good deal. Always try 'em out if possible.)

As long as the ohm load on the Vox speaker is the same as your Create and it can handle the wattage it should be a fine improvement

Edit: http://www.thevintagesound.com/store/weber-12-blue-dog-alnico-p-252.html

Seems like a good deal, I cant find reviews, but only $190 each, and you can choose to dope them.
Last edited by Glavinage at Jan 2, 2009,
Red Fangs have a very large magnet so you need to measure first. I like the sound of Private Jacks, they're slightly more trebly I guess. The Governor's a bit more bassy.
Well, if you want the best alnico speaker on the market, get the Scumback Scumnico.

It's a replica of the 60's vox/celestion silver bell speaker.

Many people have A/B'd those and the originals and couldn't hear the difference.

Link

They are just under 50$ more than the Webers, but IMO, it's worth it.

Plus, they're having a sale on speakers ( 20$ off).
I dont have that much cash at the moment...do you guys think that I should wait off untill I get the money to replace the vox speakers? or should I just buy one speaker for the crate?

also, for the crate, it sounds too basy and a little dirty. idk what sound I am looking for, but I want less bass...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
as of now I play the v18 more because of the weight; its much easier to carry around.

edit: but if I were to play a concert, I would probably take my ac30cc2, because it sounds better...which is why I want to change the speaker of the v18 more than I want to change the ones on the vox..

edit: I want it to sound a little more marshally...I know that its probably asking a lot, lol. but maybe putting a greenback, or maybe a used speaker from a marshall amp or cab...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I can get my hands on two Jensen MOD 12" 50 watt speakers both for 80 dollars brand new..I could buy them and put one on my v18, or put them both on the vox. what do you guys think of those?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
what do you guys think of CELESTION 12" Seventy 80? or the CELESTION 12" Rocket 50?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
what do you guys think of CELESTION 12" Seventy 80? or the CELESTION 12" Rocket 50?

The Seventy 80 is mediocre. I've never tried the Rocket 50.

Currently I have a Warehouse Veteran 30 (Vintage 30 clone) in my amp and am loving it. None of the icepick highs of the Vintage 30 unbroken in (although this might've just been due to the amp I was playing) but pure delicious tone. As for a Marshally tone, look into something like a Greenback or a Warehouse Green Beret.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I was considering a green beret, but its only 25 watts. do you think that it will make a big volume difference? the current speaker in the v18 is a 50 watt and I like the volume on it (just how loud it can get...)
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
I was considering a green beret, but its only 25 watts. do you think that it will make a big volume difference? the current speaker in the v18 is a 50 watt and I like the volume on it (just how loud it can get...)

Speaker wattage has nothing to do with volume. The higher you go in speaker wattage, the warmer sound and more headroom you get.

Usually, you would want your overall speaker wattage to be double your amp's wattage, or else you might blow the speaker(s) when you crank the amp. So, a 50 watt speaker in your crate is ok.

Now, a greenback won't make your crate sound Marshall-y. Speakers don't change tone in that way.

How do you want your crate to sound? More bass, less bass, more mids, less mids, etc.

IMO: Get some alnico speakers in the Vox, and put one of the wharfdales in the crate.
I want more treble in my crate...I might just get the alnico blues, but it will be later in the year because I dont have that much money for that right now.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
If you want more treble, I'd suggest the Celestion G12H30. You're gonna have to break it in to get rid of the ice-pick highs, but after that, you'll get more treble in the form of smooth highs.

Oh, and PS: If you have the money for the celestion alnico blues, please consider the scumback scumnicos. They blow the Blues out of the water.

PSS : I've A/B'd the AC30CC2X ( blues) and the AC30CC2 (Wharfdales) and there isn't a huge difference in sound at low volume ( I'm pretty sure you have to crank both amps to hear a difference).

The wharfdale speaker is a clone of the Greenback, but many agree that it is inferior to the actual greenback.

With the alnico blues, you're getting less headroom and a bit less treble.
With the scumnico, you're getting the same same headroom as the wharfdales, but with smoother treble, more mids and bass plus a more vintage flavored sound.
Last edited by Mike! at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Mike!
If you want more treble, I'd suggest the Celestion G12H30. You're gonna have to break it in to get rid of the ice-pick highs, but after that, you'll get more treble in the form of smooth highs.

really? some reviews say that it has a nice bassy sound to it...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Mike-T93
Really that dead set on Celestions? Eminence makes good speakers for much cheaper. A Private Jack would boost your treble similarly and cost 70 dollars less. http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--EMNPJ

that is very tempting...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
dang I dont know which to get the Eminence Private Jack or Man O War.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Can't really help you there; it's down to personal taste. Could be a price difference, too, I don't know how much Man O' War costs.
well I ordered a private jack, I read a lot of good reviews for it...if it isnt too good atleast I didnt spend a lot on it. and Im sure its bound to be better than the crate stock.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by WantzChas
You pay for quality, that's why Celestion speakers is more expensive.

Celestions are made in China nowadays, so it's just a brand name markup.

@fifer

Tell me how that goes, I've been looking into sticking one in my V18 2x12 to balance it out.
Quote by Mike-T93
Celestions are made in China nowadays, so it's just a brand name markup.

@fifer

Tell me how that goes, I've been looking into sticking one in my V18 2x12 to balance it out.

yeah sure Ill let you know when I put it on.

edit: and thanks a lot, everyone who helped.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at Jan 3, 2009,