Hi all,

thinking about upgrading my Iceman with a nice new bridge pickup.

Now I could use some advice on what sort to pick.

My local guitar shop only sells Seymour Duncan pickups, and I've heard excellent things about the Invader pickups. Would this be a good choice for a good, tight metal tone?

Since you can't really "try out" a pickup, I'm wondering how much difference it will make to my guitar's tone.

The current pickups are stock Ibanez Infinity pickups, which sound ok but could sound a lot better.

Also, is it possible to just change the one pickup, I don't have a massive amount of cash and the Invader is priced at £63 at the local store.

Another question, how easy is it to install pickups yourself? I'm guessing you need soldering equipment?

Sorry for all the questions, answers to any would be great Thank you all in advance.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
ehhhhh.....im not that fussed on invaders tbh.
i played a synyster custom with them and wasn't that impressed

what style of music are you going to be playing?

telEDIT: Didn't see you say you were playing metal. Id suggest a Seymour Duncan JB http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh4_jb_model/
good for just about everything, imo
Last edited by telemetal at Jan 2, 2009,
I've heard lots of lousy things about the Invaders.

You might want to look into the D Activators, Ibanez puts them in the ICT700 and Xiphos models.

Exactly which Iceman do you have? Is it similar to the ICT700/XPT700 (they're basically the same thing) - mahogany body, neck-thru, etc?
Quote by tigerking615

You might want to look into the D Activators, Ibanez puts them in the ICT700 and Xiphos models.

Exactly which Iceman do you have? Is it similar to the ICT700/XPT700 (they're basically the same thing) - mahogany body, neck-thru, etc?

Nah this one's a "budget" guitar, Basswood body, bolt-on neck, not sure on the neck material, rosewood fingerboard..

I'll check out those other pickups, would have to order any non-Seymour Duncan pickups online though, then find somewhere the does pickup replacements cheap

Edit: I noticed that this topic would have belonged better in GB&C but it's a bit too late now
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by tigerking615

Only problem is D Activators are DiMarzio, and his shop only sells Seymour Duncan's
Actually, I'd recommend ordering online, even if it's Seymour Duncan. Apparently 63 pounds is 91.4880 dollars, and most pups are $65-75, so see if you can find a site which ships free.

Anyway, check out the Seymour Duncan JB, it's an awesome pickup.
As far as the installation goes, if you have a friend who's good with a soldering iron, ask him to do it free :P