Which SGs? A lot of people give Gibson crap for having bad QC, but I've played a fair amount of SG Standards from the early 00's (Mine is from 2003, my best friend has the same one from 2004) and none of them have any flaws. Were you looking to buy a vintage SG or a new(er) one?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
It's easier to say when they were definitely bad than when they were definitely good, since even in the good years they will have made the occasional bad guitar but int he bad years they almost never put out an acceptable guitar.

Years to avoid are 1977-1992 (it was only late 77 to early 92 really but it can be hard to tell which specific month a guitar was made in so it's best to ignore the whole years), and anything made in the last 3-4 years.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
SGs weren't even that great when they came out: They had horrible tuning and construction issues ( notably the ultra whole fragile headstock).

But for SGs, the best years would be 63-69, when they came with stop bars or maestros instead of that ridiculous sideways vibrola. Even the Maestro vibrolas sucked, but not as much as the sideways ones.

If you want a good SG, go for a used 61 re-issue. Every one I've played were great, unlike the Les Pauls in that range.
^Read MrFlibble's post.

Quote by Sid McCall
Which SGs? A lot of people give Gibson crap for having bad QC, but I've played a fair amount of SG Standards from the early 00's (Mine is from 2003, my best friend has the same one from 2004) and none of them have any flaws. Were you looking to buy a vintage SG or a new(er) one?

I guess the Standard. Specials are okay, too - I like that they do not have binding on the fretboard, but not that they have dot inlays. I likes teh blocks and trapezoids. I've played a fair amount of ones from the last 4 years, haven't been a fan. Playability wasn't justified by the price tag.

And I'm just looking for one where I can justify the price tag by its playability and such.

Quote by MrFlibble
It's easier to say when they were definitely bad than when they were definitely good, since even in the good years they will have made the occasional bad guitar but int he bad years they almost never put out an acceptable guitar.

Years to avoid are 1977-1992 (it was only late 77 to early 92 really but it can be hard to tell which specific month a guitar was made in so it's best to ignore the whole years), and anything made in the last 3-4 years.

Ah, there we go, that's kind of what I was looking to hear.
all the 2000s and up are pretty solid. personally i like the standard better than the reissue mainly because of the pickup option since the 57 classic aren't exactly high output.
Quote by forsaknazrael
And I'm just looking for one where I can justify the price tag by its playability and such.
With Gibson you're never going to get your full money's worth unless you go for the really top-shelf Custom Shop models (and even then it can be a gamble). To be honest you'd be better off looking at decent SG copies. ESP make some very nice ones.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Years to avoid are 1977-1992 and anything made in the last 3-4 years.

I seriously found that quite funny
Why? It's true. The 80's (and the couple of years before and after) are widely regarded as Gibson's bar-none worst period. The last few years have been getting progressively worse and worse too (not helped by them dicking about with the core building processes).
Quote by MrFlibble
With Gibson you're never going to get your full money's worth unless you go for the really top-shelf Custom Shop models (and even then it can be a gamble). To be honest you'd be better off looking at decent SG copies. ESP make some very nice ones.

I hear that. I've been looking at Edwards and Burny. I guess I'm mostly lookin' at this info so I can snipe one off craigslist.org for a decent deal.
I don't like ESP's take, the slant is weird, and the neck is too thin for me.

Quote by Midnight Murk
In general, there are no so-called "good years" and "bad years." Sure, there are absolute dogs in every year, but there are always going to be gems hidden in the bunch.

If you're looking at SGs, I'd avoid any Norlin-era models. I find them absolutely ugly, so even if I found one that played very well and sounded good, I'd ditch it just going on the looks.

If you're buying a recent one, I'd go for something before 2008. They started the circuit-board electronics last year, and you'd have to get rid of the whole harness if you wanted to change a pot. I'll eventually switch out the whole wiring harness in my 2006, but I thought you should know that. Pickups will be going in a few weeks when an order arrives.

Anyway, I can't wait until you get one!

Not bothered by electronics-ness. Super easy for me to change anything out. Good to know, though.
You should look for a used Standard. I paid $600 for mine, but I kinda knew the guy (he worked at the store next to where I worked). It's not hard to find them under $8-900, and as far as your concerns about the fretboard binding, don't worry. You can barely feel it at all, in fact there's so much lacquer on the unbound special that it feels the same as a bound neck. There's nothing wrong with a special, but if you can afford a Standard, by all means do it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I have the red one, and it doesn't look as bad as it would on a black sg. I forget it's even there after a while.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Good and bad years are not so easy to define. Gibson's had the habit of making slight changes, especially to neck thickness and profile.
My LP Custom (SG shape) from '61 was astounding. I also had a SG Deluxe from about '71 (even Gibson's can'e be sure) which was pretty nice, too. I once played a '67 and the neck was far too heavy for me. The other thing to note is that Gibson's mature really well, which is one reason everyone loves the old LP's from the '50's.