hi, i'm semi-new to the guitar (6-7months) but i have had no formal training by a teacher, and i'm interested in writing my own music. i have a few questions on my technique though. 1)what are some common scales that avenged sevenfold/disturbed uses? 2)does a guitarist use just one scale in a song or does he/she combine two different ones? 3)when creating a riff/solo are the notes supposed to go in the order in the scale or can you compose whatever your feeling? 4)and any tips for playing standing up?
No offense but 6-7 months = very new at the guitar.

1) Learn one of their solos and find out. Learning the scale alone won't make you sound like them...... work on the actual music.

2) sometimes 1 scale, sometimes more.

3) No you don't have to make riffs in the order of a scale. If that were the case all solos and music in general would sound exactly the same.

4) practice playing while standing up

Your questions will be better answered by you, as you gain experience by learning songs/music and studying theory (when you're ready). It takes time.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 2, 2009,
basically guitarmunky answered all of the questions although i would like to elaborate on 2, every song is based around a key, there is a key for every note, ie abcdefg (plus sharps and flats but i dont want to confuse you) in a key you select the first, fourth and fifth note to base any chords or solo scales around in a song, for example the key of G is G,A,B,C,D,E,F,(all keys go in alphabetical order from the root note until the note is reached again) any scales or riffs will be based around a G,C or D note as these are the 1st 4th and 5th notes. By the way, Disturbed scales are mostly diminished scales such as on inside the fire which is a E flat root, and Sevenfold tend to use more conventional minor scales, i believe both of these concepts may be difficult for you but i admire you ambitions, for any more questions ask me on my profile ozza01.
Quote by GuitarMunky
No offense but 6-7 months = very new at the guitar.

1) Learn one of their solos and find out. Learning the scale alone won't make you sound like them...... work on the actual music.

2) sometimes 1 scale, sometimes more.

3) No you don't have to make riffs in the order of a scale. If that were the case all solos and music in general would sound exactly the same.

4) practice playing while standing up

Your questions will be better answered by you, as you gain experience by learning songs/music and studying theory (when you're ready). It takes time.

+ a quadrillion
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
thanks everybody for everything and quick replies. and ozza the key you were talking about in G, does that mean i can only use the notes for the roots of chors such as G5 or D5?