Page 1 of 2
This man doesn't get nearly enough attention as he should, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Broadrick

I mean, he basically helped invent two different genres of metal, Grindcore and Industrial Metal.

He is also one of the greatest producers in the history of mankind.

His list of bands range from

Napalm Death (founding member at age 16, laid the foundation for Grindcore)
Head of David (laid foundation for Industrial Metal)
Godflesh (perfected Industrial Metal formula)
Jesu

And many other non-metal projects, as well as remixing songs by such bands as ISIS, Pelican, and Genghis Tron.

He goes unnoticed more times than not, and even most of the avid music fans I know don't even know who he is, or the contributions he's made to music.

So, with that, I wish for us to celebrate this god amond men, and appreciate his large wealth of work and accomplishments.

Discuss.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Fall of Because was very early industrial metal, put out material around the same time as when Ministry stopped being a pop group.

I had forgotten Fall of Because.

And, Cthlulu, Same here.

I was a big fan of Jesu, and was blown away, and then I looked into his career after I learned he was in Napalm Death.

He's my #1 favorite producer of all time, and is the main reason why I want to go to college for Audio Production.

Saxo-Walrus

Never been a big fan of Jesu, but I was liking some the other day. I can say the album is on my to buy list now.
Which album?

Saxo-Walrus

Psycho: Conqueror is a FANTASTIC album. My favorite album from 2007.

Their "Silver" EP is also amazing, as well. A bit more upbeat, and it fleshes out Broadrick's shoegaze influences, as well.

dminished: Agreed. I can't think of anyone else who works on music as much as Broadrick, off the top of my head. I'm certain there are others out there, but still.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Jan 2, 2009,
I can't say I'm a fan of much of his music, but I do have a lot of respect for him. Is it true he turned down offers to join Faith No More and Danzig? That's pretty badass (though FNM + Broadrick = mindfuck).
Quote by dminishedthingy
The collision of Broderick and Patton would be too epic to comprehend.

But it would be soooooooo good.
I think a Steven Wilson/Justin Broadrick collab would be amazing.

Two of my most favorite producers in the same room, creating experimental bliss.

Also, I forgot to mention GREYMACHINE.

http://www.last.fm/music/GREYMACHINE

That was one of my dream collaborations, and I didn't even know it existed until October, or so.

It's good stuff, but it's not what I would call mindblowing. I'm excited for the album, though.

Saxo-Walrus

I've been meaning to get into Napalm death for the longest time. I gotta give credit for starting a band at 16, and it having a large impact on a genre. Even if the genere is necessarily mainstream.
Quote by severed-metal
Even if the genere is necessarily mainstream.

Neither grindcore or industrial metal are mainstream.
Quote by Psychopathology

Exactly what I was thinking. And "necessarily mainstream" doesn't even make sense.

I'll have a bourbon.
didn't siege lay the foundations for grindcore?

but this dude seems to have an impressive career, i'll check his stuff out.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Just getting into Godflesh, through Streetcleaner.

Like Rats and Christbait are incredible. The guy's vocals are absolutely fantastic.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Psychopathology

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Exactly what I was thinking. And "necessarily mainstream" doesn't even make sense.

So if it doesn't make sense, do you think you could comprehend that it was a mistake, and I meant "isn't" ?
Quote by dead-fish
Just getting into Godflesh, through Streetcleaner.

Like Rats and Christbait are incredible. The guy's vocals are absolutely fantastic.

"Like Rats" is probably my favorite from that album.

Saxo-Walrus

Streetcleaner is one of my all time favorite albums, and i think it's quite possibly the heaviest that i've ever heard. Jesu's self titled is also mesmerizingly beautiful...as well has being crushing. One of my most cherished musicians, despite the fact that i only have those two albums. I've been meaning to get more...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by The Evil Hat
Streetcleaner is one of my all time favorite albums, and i think it's quite possibly the heaviest that i've ever heard. Jesu's self titled is also mesmerizingly beautiful...as well has being crushing. One of my most cherished musicians, despite the fact that i only have those two albums. I've been meaning to get more...

Listen to my mix, it has two Godflesh songs you probably haven't heard then.
Quote by Psychopathology
Listen to my mix, it has two Godflesh songs you probably haven't heard then.

I'm definitely planning to, i love well done Industrial, but don't have even close to enough of it.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Psychopathology
Fallenangel, do you have Songs of Love and Hate?

I do not.

I suppose I should check into thise?

Saxo-Walrus

For sure. I'll have to check it out.

Saxo-Walrus

Godflesh's Streetcleaner is a ****ing masterpiece, Like Rats being one of the most crushing songs i've ever heard.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if anyone gets the chance check out the Peel Sessions version of Like Rats, its a good alternative to the original with a bit more of a natural sound but somehow sounds even more screwed up to me.
Last edited by logboy at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by Psychopathology
Damn you France...

For serious. Why can't Godflesh reunite in the States for a show?
One guy that has too much talent on his hands lol; though I haven't listened to anything post-metal or industrial metal of Godflesh type in god knows how long

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I'm a big fan of Godflesh but I've never bothered to check out Jesu. What's a good starting point?
I yam what I yam
Page 1 of 2