557755 to 88(10)(10)88 to 446644 and back to 557755, what makes this so dark or is that just me? has this progression been used in a song before?

oh, also, the (10)(10) isnt any harmonic, just separating for no confusion of 88101088 being a jumble of numbers
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Are you actually asking us to explain your own subjective experience?
Those are all just sus chords. There's nothing special about them. The context of the progression is far more important.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
oh. Well I never learned how to use sus and add chords, but I thought it would sound dark from something like tritones or something

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
Doubling the 5th like you did is a great way to make a chord sound really thick.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
You want dark? Listen to the intro to Under the Sun by Sabbath
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
I love that intro

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
Quote by XxDre09xX
I love that intro

Yea me too, it's a great underrated song by them.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Archeo Avis
Are you actually asking us to explain your own subjective experience?
Those are all just sus chords. There's nothing special about them. The context of the progression is far more important.

Go away, hes at least trying to learn

The answer your looking for is entirely subjective, and I didnt really take a good look, but some things sound happy, some sound sad, some sound scare, some sound like cartoons, etc. Theres really no real explanation besides the fact that our ears are trained to connotate certain intervals with certain emotion, and the intervals and chords etc that you chose happen to be ones our ears find dark
Well the root of those chords played alone sounds like something out of a harmonic minor scale, like Mixolydian #1.

///edit Also, i actually use this a lot in my riffs, but i didn't name it until now, strange...

///edit2...

The progression for the root of those chords would be 1 - 3 - 7, or Amin/C+/G#dim/ for Harmonic Minor.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Jan 2, 2009,
The chords are a Dsus2, a Fsus2, a C#sus2, back to Dsus2. it sounds dark because:
A) The chords are sus2 chords, which mean the 3rd is lowered a half step, making it closer to the root note making it sound more dissonent.
B)The chords are based loosely on the key of Dminor, and minor keys tend to sound darker with the flat third, the sharpened seventh from the harmonic minor which is even darker, the final chord's 5th does not reflect the key either it is from the root, a sharpened fourth, which is from the Hungarian minor.