hey guys

im trying to get the wah tone from 'Coffee Shop by RHCP' and i was wondering what settings would i need? i have a DOD FX25B, an Ibanez ATK, and an Ashdown MAG300 2x10

thanks
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
ah. I thought you wamted a conceptual coffeeshop sounding tone.

was all set for low mids, fretless, bridge pickup, and some reverb with a bit of chorus.

but not muddy.

EDIT: a little overdrive and treble.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
GK amp with a ridiculous amount of treble and and almost no bass. It should also be turned up to the point of pretty heavy distortion...

God, in any other song Id HATE this tone, but it works so perfect for this song
Quote by the humanity

was all set for low mids, fretless, bridge pickup, and some reverb with a bit of chorus.

but not muddy.

EDIT: a little overdrive and treble.

sorry dude, but that is not at all how he does it. When i was first starting bass i was obsessed about Flea and i can tell you that in this song for the solo he uses, a dunlop cry baby, bridge pickup (its played on a stingray anyways). He also cuts his mids and bass and boosts the treble (i have no clue how people can stand this tone i find it absolutely atrocious), and ofcourse he uses slap bass. And it was definatly not fretless!
Quote by Taygunov
sorry dude, but that is not at all how he does it. When i was first starting bass i was obsessed about Flea and i can tell you that in this song for the solo he uses, a dunlop cry baby, bridge pickup (its played on a stingray anyways). He also cuts his mids and bass and boosts the treble (i have no clue how people can stand this tone i find it absolutely atrocious), and ofcourse he uses slap bass. And it was definatly not fretless!

The bass was an Alembic Epic 4 actually.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Taygunov

did you read my post?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Taygunov

Looks like someone failed to understand...
I too was looking forward to some Coffee Shop tone discussion .
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by Mayano
Looks like someone failed to understand...
I too was looking forward to some Coffee Shop tone discussion .

same
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
My coffeeshop generally likes my bass with boosted bass and scooped treble.

My bass sounds like a tuba in our coffeeshop.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by the humanity

I also assumed this from the title, however, I avoided the disapointment of opening the the thread and reading the first post to find it's actually just the title of a song by hovering my mouse over the thread on the bass forum and reading the little caption.

what exactly would be a "coffee shop tone" ?
Dont bother use your own tone, your not going to use fleas tone when doing a cover of it in a band. Do abit of tweaking ya but dont spend hours tryting to get his tone just for that song.

Ive never played in a coffee shop so what tone would someone be looking for.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jan 3, 2009,
^not to mention the fact that he'll neverever get that tone without spending absurd amounts of money on Fleas exact rig
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
And getting surgery to have fleas hands swapped.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by jimRH7
I also assumed this from the title, however, I avoided the disapointment of opening the the thread and reading the first post to find it's actually just the title of a song by hovering my mouse over the thread on the bass forum and reading the little caption.

I think it would be a jazz tone. Like a jazz Trio Piano - Bass - Drums tone. Real bassy, melodic, and growly.
DB Player
Quote by jimRH7

if you read the following bit of the post...

*pats jims head*

*jumps at jims sudden biting movement*
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I personally enjoy the humanity's idea of a coffee shop bass tone. I think it's the chorus that really puts the cherry on top of the tone, so to speak.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
TS should play song with my tone and post it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

all i have is a DOD FX25B for effects and im just interested in the wah solo tone

can i get that?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
He used a Boss Dynamic Filter for that song. Not sure how to get the sound - You should be able to get close if you bump up the treble and mids on your bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
hmm, sorry humanity, I didn't mean it to sound like a dig at you. it was another one of my "top tips".
wasn't it a ehx q tron envelope filter? as for EQ he usually drops bass and boosts mids and treble a bit. the settings on the q tron im not sure you'll just have to play with it.
Quote by sonsie
all i have is a DOD FX25B for effects and im just interested in the wah solo tone

can i get that?

I find treble and mids will get that sound. I usually roll mine tone off when using mine or else the sound is really thin and piercing. What are you using for the outro solo?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.