Ok, I am thinking about getting a P-bass, but I really want it to have a maple neck/fretboard, preferably one-piece. I also want to stay within the Fender family if possible...

Any suggestions? I had a look at the VM precision, but I beleive that pickup is a humbucker, not a P pickup, is that right?
the new MIM Fenders have maple fretboards
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Hmmmm.

You're looking at this:

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I swear to you sir, if you buy the Pete Wentz bass, I will personally come to your house and rape you...
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Quote by jsaatsaz
I swear to you sir, if you buy the Pete Wentz bass, I will personally come to your house and rape you...

Why? It's a bass. If it's the lack of a tone knob that upsets you, add one. It's not hard.

Refinish, new pickguard. Brand new bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Anything that benefits that media ***** in any way is a sin. I'm not a Fall Out Boy hater, I actually quite like them, but I hate Pete.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Get an MIM. They are still 'good' quality, just not awesome in comparison th MIA's.

Unrelated, but does anyone know where in the UK you can order a MIM P-Bass with a maple f/board? msg me if anyone does

EDIT: Don't know if it's possible, but if it is, buy a rosewood one & just change the fingerboard.. Soz if this can't actually be done (i'm actually trying to find a Squier or MIM with a maple f/board aswell)
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Jan 2, 2009,
VM precisions are P pickups.... hence why it is a P-bass. also, it has a rosewood fretboard and a maple neck. is it specifically a maple neck, or a maple fretboard you want?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
The CV 50's P Bass has a maple fretboard but has the old style P pickup however after some scanning on the Seymour Duncan website I found you can buy a higher output replacement such as the Quarter Pounder thats a direct replacement for the newer P style pickups. On the other hand, you could just wait for the new 09' MIM models which have a maple fretboard option aswell as some NICE colours such as Lake Placid Blue and Candy Cola.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by oz_bassist
On the other hand, you could just wait for the new 09' MIM models which have a maple fretboard option aswell as some NICE colours such as Lake Placid Blue and Candy Cola.

Does anyone actually know when these are comin out?

(Sorry if TS finds me asking this a bit cheeky on his thread)
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Quote by Nutter_101
Why? It's a bass. If it's the lack of a tone knob that upsets you, add one. It's not hard.

Refinish, new pickguard. Brand new bass.

Speaking of the Pete Wentz Sig. I've noticed some thing scarey:

P-basses
Maple Necks
Quarter Pounder (so the Wentz has a Duncan Designed PB-105, which is a waterdown budget Quarter Pounder, so shhhh.)

Verdict: Pete Wentz bass, more Br00tal then it seems.
But the Steve Harris has a Badass II, which makes it, well, badass.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Anjohl
Ok, I am thinking about getting a P-bass, but I really want it to have a maple neck/fretboard, preferably one-piece. I also want to stay within the Fender family if possible...

Any suggestions? I had a look at the VM precision, but I beleive that pickup is a humbucker, not a P pickup, is that right?

Yeah, but it still sounds good. It's just in a terrible place if you're not Scott Reeder.

GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Captain Insano
Speaking of the Pete Wentz Sig. I've noticed some thing scarey:

P-basses
Maple Necks
Quarter Pounder (so the Wentz has a Duncan Designed PB-105, which is a waterdown budget Quarter Pounder, so shhhh.)

Verdict: Pete Wentz bass, more Br00tal then it seems.

They're both P basses!
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by maidendeth13
And Steve Harris is like the greatest Bass player to walk the earth and Pete Wentz...well nvm. To each their own.

I had the same problem and I ended up just building my own P Bass so Steve Harris Specs. Came out to $540 USD.

Definitely worth it.

Slight contradiction there...

Does anyone actually know when the new MIMs are coming out?
I've seen pics of the guitars but none of the basses.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Does anyone actually know when the new MIMs are coming out?
I've seen pics of the guitars but none of the basses.

Theyre on Thomman!!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

WOOP!

Unfortunatley however, there's a £200 (sorry, i'm British I think £200 is about $400 $290) mark-up from last year's prices

Thanks MutantCorn for the £-$ conversion. ^^
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Jan 4, 2009,