If I have a chord progression is E Major Scale, what note would I start a dorian mode to have it in the Key of E. I'm pretty sure its not the E, I just wanted to check.
Quote by Cammeh
Thankyou, would you also try and tell me how to work this out.
Thanks.

http://thephraseoftheday.com/theory/modes.htm

i know at this point its pretty much spamming, and im sorry mods, but the answer is literally right there.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
you get your E major scale
E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#

now for each note there is a corresponding mode
E is Ionian (Major)
F# is Dorian
G# is Phrygian
A is Lydian
B is Mixolydian
C# is Aeolian (Natural Minor)
D# is Locrian

Each mode has the same construction as the Ionian(Major Scale), it is just based of another note.

In other words each mode i just listed will have the same notes as an E Maj scale, jsut based around a different note

That make sense, i'm terrible at explaining things, for a better idea, have a look here
http://www.theorylessons.com/modal.html
That depends what you mean. If you want to play in a dorian mode that has all the same notes as E, then yes, F# dorian is what your looking for.

Its spelled as such

F# G# A B C# D# E F #

If you want the spelling of the Dorian mode starting on the note E, then its spelled as such

E F# G A B C# D E

Someone please check these spellings, I did it in a bit of a rush and Ive been known to accidentally leave out sharps from doing things too fast
Quote by telemetal
you get your E major scale
E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#

now for each note there is a corresponding mode
E is Ionian (Major)
F# is Dorian
G# is Phrygian
A is Lydian
B is Mixolydian
C# is Aeolian (Natural Minor)
D# is Locrian

Each mode has the same construction as the Ionian(Major Scale), it is just based of another note.

In other words each mode i just listed will have the same notes as an E Maj scale, jsut based around a different note

That make sense, i'm terrible at explaining things, for a better idea, have a look here
http://www.theorylessons.com/modal.html

So if it was key of G
G is Ionian (major)
A is Dorian
B is Phrygian
C is Lydian
D is Mixolydian
E is Aeolian (Natural Minor)
F# is Locrian

If thats true, thanks so much. You've helped greatly.
Quote by yingyangthang
That depends what you mean. If you want to play in a dorian mode that has all the same notes as E, then yes, F# dorian is what your looking for.

Its spelled as such

F# G# A B C# D# E F #

If you want the spelling of the Dorian mode starting on the note E, then its spelled as such

E F# G A B C# D E

Someone please check these spellings, I did it in a bit of a rush and Ive been known to accidentally leave out sharps from doing things too fast

looks okay to me. and this is right, btw... it depends what the TS is really asking...

i usually think of modes in terms of their interval patterns, meaning that if someone says "play dorian in E" i'll be playing with E as my root, using the pattern of 1 -2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - b7. but that scale is decidedly minor sounding, and probably wouldn't work well over an E major progression.

so yeah... if you want to play the E dorian scale, you probably will have trouble playing it over major chords. if you want to play THE dorian scale for Emaj, then go with a F# dorian, which has all the same notes as E major.
If I have a chord progression is E Major Scale, what note would I start a dorian mode to have it in the Key of E. I'm pretty sure its not the E, I just wanted to check.

You can't have a Dorian mode in the key of E, nor can you have a Dorian anything if the chord progression is E major.

It's true that F# Dorian has the same notes as E major, but that doesn't mean they sound alike at all.