It is possible, but not easy, to stuff the wiring and a 9V battery into the super thin-bodied Ibanez S series without modifying the body or routing. It is also possible to re-use the factory output jack, since the jack supplied with the EMG kit does NOT fit in the factory location.

They sound great, more to come.
Ibanez S
Gibson SG
Mesa/Boogie DC-10 (Customized )
Digitech JamMan
Ibanez Demon Wah
EH Metal Muff
Issues and resolution: (Work in progress)

• Output Jack:
    The Ibanez S, which has it's output jack diagonal out of the front of the body, will not accept the jack that is supplied with the EMG kit because it requires a long threaded jack. Fortunately, the people at Ibanez chose to use a stereo jack that can be converted very simply for use with active pickups. This jack has three prongs, only two of which are in use when the guitar comes from the factory. The black and white wires that are already in use can be re-used, and the battery clip's red wire can be soldered to the third, empty, prong.

• Switch (Not always an issue):
    My installation used three EMG's in an H-S-H configuration. This made reusing the stock, cheaply made, switch very confusing to use for two reasons. First, the switch looks nothing like the one used by EMG in all of thier wiring diagrams, which is very confusing for first timers. Second, the factory humbuckers (not the single coil) have 2 wires that go to the switch while the EMG's only have one, so you cannot simply connect the wires to the same place as before, which again, is confusing for those wiring pickups for the first time.

• Distance between pots
    The thoughtful people at EMG chose to pre-solder the supplied tone and volume knob together, yet without allowing enough slack for them to fit in the mounting holes. There is no way around it, you will have to de-solder and add wire.

• Fitting the battery
    The battery will fit, sort of, if wedged diagonally between the tone/volume controls and tilted under the output jack. If done this way one corner of the battery will push against the the underneath side of the cavity cover. It would be better if this were not the case, however it does serve to hold the battery in place, because it won't fit with foam wrapped around it.
Last edited by thrasher_s at Jan 2, 2009,
I bought an SA series with an 81 and those guitars have a piezo bridge and dual input. lovely.
hey man, im doing the same thing, im trying to install seymour duncan blackouts in to my S5470...im quite confused about the jack, all the diagrams ive seen show the black batteryclip wire going to the jack, you stated red, are ibanez jacks wired differently? im seriously confused with the whole thing took me ages to find out weather the jacks was infact mono or stereo beacuse i was coming from factory passives i presumed mono. but yeah just wondering what goes to each lug on the jack as ive got all the red from the battery clip joining the reds coming from the 2 pickups?

cheers man any help would be awsome
Quote by faisalchaudryuk
hey man, im doing the same thing, im trying to install seymour duncan blackouts in to my S5470...
I guess you're trying to do the right thing by using an existing thread rather than starting your own. But a check of TS's profile shows he hasn't been online since January. Don't think it's likely he'll reply.

You could have posted this in the either the Guitar Wiring Thread or the EMG thread.
For future reference, go to The GB&C Central Hub to find links to common threads.

Quote by faisalchaudryuk
im quite confused about the jack, all the diagrams ive seen show the black batteryclip wire going to the jack, you stated red, are ibanez jacks wired differently? im seriously confused with the whole thing took me ages to find out weather the jacks was infact mono or stereo beacuse i was coming from factory passives i presumed mono. but yeah just wondering what goes to each lug on the jack as ive got all the red from the battery clip joining the reds coming from the 2 pickups?

cheers man any help would be awsome
Red from the battery clip joins with the red wires from each pickup it does not go to the jack.

Black from the battery clip goes to the Ring connector on the jack.

If the jack in your ibanez has 3 lugs, it's probably a stereo jack. If it has only 2, it's definitely mono.

IF you have 3 lugs and the present wiring is only using 2 lugs, the unused lug is the Ring connection. You can identify the Tip and Sleeve connections by following the wiring back to the circuit. You may be able to identify the Sleeve lug on the jack just by looking. It's attached to the outer shell of the jack.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.