Why do some Epiphone Dots say Dot on the truss rod cover and some say Gibson, and does it matter?
Somebody told me it depends on the factory they're assembled in.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Shining_Yrael
Somebody told me it depends on the factory they're assembled in.

That's what I think.
It's not the factory, it's the year it was made. Older Epis (from before they updated their entire production line, just after they all moved to China) have 'Gibson' on the headstocks on some models, newer Epis (from since they updated the production line in China) always have Epiphone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Oh, that makes sense.

What the dude told me was that the factories in USA had Gibson and the factories in China had Epiphone, so I guess it's sort of a combination.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Thanks to all. If it is USA vs China, Old vs New, do you think OLD USA would be the best choice?
I have wondered about this question for a long time.....I have an Epi Les Paul Standard with the "Gibson" truss rod cover. Light years ahead of any other Epi Les Paul I've played in the last few years in the shops.....Does anyone have an idea where this was made and when?

I hope I'm not posting off-topic here, even though I think I'm asking basically the same question as the TS.
Quote by Shining_Yrael
Oh, that makes sense.

What the dude told me was that the factories in USA had Gibson and the factories in China had Epiphone, so I guess it's sort of a combination.

Epi hasn't made their guitars in the US since the '70s... The they were in Korea and Japan first.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by LustFourLife
I have wondered about this question for a long time.....I have an Epi Les Paul Standard with the "Gibson" truss rod cover. Light years ahead of any other Epi Les Paul I've played in the last few years in the shops.....Does anyone have an idea where this was made and when?

I hope I'm not posting off-topic here, even though I think I'm asking basically the same question as the TS.
If you don't mind telling us your serial number, it's easy to work out exactly when and where an Epi was made.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by gbyrum
Thanks to all. If it is USA vs China, Old vs New, do you think OLD USA would be the best choice?

play fallout 3 see who wins lol. sorry about off topic and

older models have gibson newer have model name
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
aren't the "gibson" ones better quality?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry to jump in on this, but I have an Epi with a Gibson truss rod cover, and with all this talk just decided to find out exact date and location of my guitar. Serial number is: mc23080183
According to this website: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx my guitar was made in 1923...I don't think that's true. Model is a Special II Les Paul, if it helps. Could anyone help me out?

To Turtlewax. I'm pretty sure the newer ones without Gibson truss rod cover are better quality. Not sure though.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Baby Joel
Sorry to jump in on this, but I have an Epi with a Gibson truss rod cover, and with all this talk just decided to find out exact date and location of my guitar. Serial number is: mc23080183
According to this website: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx my guitar was made in 1923...I don't think that's true. Model is a Special II Les Paul, if it helps. Could anyone help me out?

To Turtlewax. I'm pretty sure the newer ones without Gibson truss rod cover are better quality. Not sure though.

Not sure what you did wrong with that site.....I used it and it told me mine was made in '04, which definitely checks out with the history of what I know of the guitar when I bought it used.

As for the ones without the Gibson truss rod cover being better....I don't agree, I think it's a50/50 toss-up now. There are lemons on both sides of the coin. Mine has the Gibson cover.....it's way better than the other Epis I've played like it, but I'm not doubting there are better ones made just recently out there as well, Gibson cover or not.
Quote by Baby Joel
According to this website: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx my guitar was made in 1923...I don't think that's true. Model is a Special II Les Paul, if it helps. Could anyone help me out?.
Are you sure you've read your serial number correctly? Because if that really is your serial number... then yes, that would mean it was made in 1923. The first two numbers of an Epi serial number tell you what year it was made in (e.g. EE04 was made in 2004, EE07 was made in 2007, EE99 was made in 1999). So if your Epi says 23... something's gone a bit wrong.

Quote by turtlewax
aren't the "gibson" ones better quality?
Yes and no. The ones with Gibson truss rod covers are ftom before the Epi production line upped the materials it used. THis means they use cheaper materials, worse metal hardware, they often used incorrect woods (e.g. Les Paul bodies made of mostly alder with a small layer of mahogany, rather than full mahogany, etc).
However, these guitars were mostly made in Korea, and the Korean build quality and quality control was generally better than the new Chinese ones are.

So it's crap materials with better craftsmanship vs better materials but crap crafstmanship.

EDIT: There was one other period, there was a short time just after they updated the production line to use the better parts, but were still working in Korea. These guitars have the best of both worlds; the better build quality and the better parts. The problem is this only happened for a short period at the end of 2004 and the very start of 2005, so only a small number of Epis were made in Korea in that way. If you can find one though, they're fantastic. I've got one, my Joe Perry signature, and it keeps up with my Gibson Custom Shop no problem.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jan 4, 2009,